Il Risorgimento is complete. Garibaldi has done what was expected of him and is now a peripheral, if revered figure in the new politics of the Italian state. But the old order adapts to new circumstances with traditional resilience. Its members still collect their rents and build, extend and maintain palazzi of varying scale in every locality.
Il Poggiale is a manifestation of this continuity. It takes revolutions and invasions in its stride. As the source of wealth shifts from the land to the less tangible produce of technology and financial services, Il Poggiale opens its doors to this new global class of travellers. Nevertheless, upon arrival, it is like stepping back into another era. The long, gravel drive leads to the imposing, columned porch that runs across the width of the warm, ochre stucco-ed building. A range of tables and chairs indicate that this is an area for gaining some respite from the sun, probably in the company of something cold, soft and honeyed in a glass.
The public rooms are decorated in the country house style - patrician but inviting. Service is attentive and friendly throughout our stay. I am glad that we opted for a superior bedroom. These are located on the entrance and upper floors of the house, rather than on the lower levels near the dining rooms and breakfast terrace. Ours overlooks a small courtyard - pretty enough - and in the shade throughout the second half of the day. These cooling effects are enhanced by the generous proportions and high ceilings of the room. It is furnished in a traditional style and both the walls and ceiling are decorated with beautiful nineteenth century-based painted patterns.
Outside, the gardens are well maintained and contain a sizeable swimming pool with plenty of loungers, tables and parasol shading. The views to the west are stunning - across the heavily-wooded hills, garnished with vineyards and olive groves.
Il Poggiale is only a couple of kilometres from the town of San Casciano. However, the lure of a buffet dinner on the terrace, accompanied by the magnificent scenery, was overwhelming on both nights of our stay. The food was perfectly acceptable - fresh and plentiful - without being exceptional. The utter romanticism of the location, however, will ensure that these were evenings that will never be forgotten.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa Il Poggiale Dimora Storica is located in the heart of the Chianti region, only a few kilometres from the historic centre of Florence. The property is classified as a historic villa, finely restored, offering a warm, friendly service and great hospitality: even the smallest details have been carefully considered to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. In an oasis of peace surrounded by enchanting gardens, fragrant with roses and plants, guests can sip a tea and start a beautiful day in the country with a good breakfast rich of products and ingredients of Tuscan cuisine, from homemade cakes, honey, fresh ricotta to salami. From April to October the restaurant is open. Each day the chef prepares lunch buffet with typical dishes of Tuscan tradition, accompanied by a good selection of local wines. We organize cooking lessons in Villa. The villa also features a brand new wellness Centre. Guests can now relax in this Chianti SPA accommodation offering simple treatments, essential oils and fragrances made with raisins, olives, citrus fruits and honey. The Villa offers Wi-Fi connection free of charge. The property is the ideal for romantic getaways or holidays with the entire family, in addition to wedding ceremonies, banquets, work breakfasts, meetings, and much more. Children are welcome offering them services and attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Venere, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo and BookingOdigeoWL so you can book your Villa il Poggiale Dimora Storica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Il Poggiale Dimora Storica Hotel San Casciano In Val Di Pesa
- Hotel Il Poggiale Dimora Storica
- Il Poggiale Dimora Storica Hotel
- Villa Il Poggiale Dimora Storica Italy/Tuscany