Having read all the previous reviews of Villa Il Poggiale, and going by the price of a stay there, I was expecting a wonderful and relaxing time in Tuscany. However, after 5 days at La Fonte (a separate appartment) at Villa Il Poggiale, although I cannot fault the location of the hotel or the wonderful buildings and views, we were let down at every turn by the staff.
On arrival at La Fonte, we were left to our own devices. We were not shown how to use the heating (to get it to work, my husband had to taken the thermostat apart and replace the corroded batteries with new ones), there was no facility to light the gas stove (the 'spark' was not working) and we were short of glasses for the number of people in the accommodation. In addition one of the towels did not appear to have been washed (a disgusting deposit which we were too embarrassed to mention) and on one day, the bins were emptied but left in a bag in the middle of the kitchen for us to discover when returning from a day trip.
La Fonte is approx 100m from the main building and has no communication facility with the main hotel apart from email or using a mobile (expensive when you are on holiday and using a foreign network). Email communication would have been ok - except for the fact that there was no internet service for the majority of our stay. The hotel did try to fix the situation, but could not tell us when it would be working, due to the fact that they could not get in touch with us at La Fonte and didn't bother to send anyone to let us know the situation.
On 2 mornings of our stay there was no table for us to sit at for breakfast, and on one occasion we had to wait for half an hour to be able to be seated. At this point, we were insulted by the staff and told we had only waited 15 minutes - not the way to treat a customer in my opinion. I suggested that the bigger dining room was used the following morning (normally kept for dinner) to cope with the number of guests having breakfast - surely something that the management could have thought of themselves.
The hotel is in a great location - for visiting nearby sights - and has wonderful views. However, our stay there was far from relaxing due to the constant frustrations we encountered and the disinterest of the staff and management in dealing with any problems or ensuring our comfort.
If you don't mind insults, frustrations and sullen faces from the staff, please go and stay here. However, I am sure that there are many other Tuscan hotels that don't just rely on a historic house and beautiful views.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa Il Poggiale Dimora Storica is located in the heart of the Chianti region, only a few kilometres from the historic centre of Florence. The property is classified as a historic villa, finely restored, offering a warm, friendly service and great hospitality: even the smallest details have been carefully considered to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. In an oasis of peace surrounded by enchanting gardens, fragrant with roses and plants, guests can sip a tea and start a beautiful day in the country with a good breakfast rich of products and ingredients of Tuscan cuisine, from homemade cakes, honey, fresh ricotta to salami. From April to October the restaurant is open. Each day the chef prepares lunch buffet with typical dishes of Tuscan tradition, accompanied by a good selection of local wines. We organize cooking lessons in Villa. The villa also features a brand new wellness Centre. Guests can now relax in this Chianti SPA accommodation offering simple treatments, essential oils and fragrances made with raisins, olives, citrus fruits and honey. The Villa offers Wi-Fi connection free of charge. The property is the ideal for romantic getaways or holidays with the entire family, in addition to wedding ceremonies, banquets, work breakfasts, meetings, and much more. Children are welcome offering them services and attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, T4B, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Villa il Poggiale Dimora Storica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Il Poggiale Dimora Storica Hotel San Casciano In Val Di Pesa
- Hotel Il Poggiale Dimora Storica
- Il Poggiale Dimora Storica Hotel
- Villa Il Poggiale Dimora Storica Italy/Tuscany