“Gorgeous....did not want to leave.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Fonte del Machiavelli

You added La Fonte del Machiavelli to your Saves list
La Fonte del Machiavelli
Via Scopeti, 54 | Sant' Andrea in Percussina, San Casciano in Val di Pesa, Italy   |
Aromas, California
“Gorgeous....did not want to leave.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed here for three nights. During the day the views take your breath away and in the evening when we walked up the road to a local restaurant the fireflies flitting between the grapevines were absolutely enchanting. My husband and I were traveling with our eight and ten year old boys and stayed here while visiting Florence and other area and found it very convenient, easy to get to everything. It was lovely to start and end the day in this place.It was so relaxing for my husband and myself while our kids swam in the pool and hunted for the local lizards that hid in the lavender that is everywhere! Great people run this place. They only drawback was that I did gain about five pounds eating the fabulous croissants and breakfast.

Room Tip: Our kids each had a twin bed to sleep in which is a Huge plus!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
fontedelmachiavelli, Proprietario at La Fonte del Machiavelli, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Good evening, thanks for your review, your stories of lived experience in the B & B with great enthusiasm we like a lot thanks again.
Simon and Matthew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family and I just returned home from our first trip to Italy. While we were there, we had the pleasure of staying at the La Fonte del Machiavelli, outside of Florence. The only problem was that we took a bus to get there (I should have rented a car). Our host, Simone greeted us, and made our family feel like part of his family coming for a visit. Being without a car, Simone personally drove us to a fine Tuscan restaurant and then picked us up when we finished. The b&b is in the center of a vineyard on the property of Machiavelli. Wow, It was just what we hoped it would look and feel like. On the second night we were invited to dine on property to a true Tuscan feast, served by Simone himself. Everything was wonderful.
I think we were the "other" couple that melissa992 wrote about, getting lost on a return bus trip.
Remember - rent a car while there. I'll know better on my next visit.
Thank you again Simone - Gratzie!
Andy, Maria, Stephanie and Lauren

Room Tip: We stayed in the Cellini and Bottichelli rooms on the ground floor - both were very comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Good evening, thanks for your review, we are happy to have helped make the holiday at Fonte del Machiavelli good moments to remember.
Simone end Matteo
kennesaw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The bed and breakfast is in a beautiful location in the Tuscan countryside. The rooms are charming, and the entire locale is just breathtaking. The host, Simone, could not be more helpful (while I was there, two other guests had a bus "adventure," winding up on the other side of the mountain, and Simone went to pick them up!). We arrived early (check-in is at 3 PM) but our rooms were already ready and we were able to unpack and get a head start on our exploration of the region. The village of San Casciano itself has an historic district, with several churches and the remains of the walls surrounding the old city. It is a great location for exploring the area IF you have a carf!! We visited Barberino, San Gimignano, Monteriggioni, and Montefioralle while there, While there, Simone also offered a Tuscan dinner our second evening: if he does, definitely take advantage of the offer!! The food was delicious, copious, and served by Simone himself. This is definitely a place that I hope to return to in the future!!!!

Room Tip: There are only six rooms, which makes for a very intimate atmosphere. Our room faced the pool, whic...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Good evening, thank you for your review with us very welcome, to try to perform to the best of our work is with your comments make it fulfilling.
Best re gards
Simon and Matthew
Utrecht
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

great location to visit firenze and the chianti region. Nice b&b. Great lovely views over the vinyards. Loved it here!!! Breakfast was also really good. Good coffee and bread and juices. We had a great time during our visit. Very friendly. Hope to go back one day.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
fontedelmachiavelli, Proprietario at La Fonte del Machiavelli, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Good evening, thanks for the review are happy to have helped make the holiday in Tuscany with great memories.
best regards
Simone
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We chose this B&B because of its association with Machiavelli and were not disappointed. The house was part of the estate of the Machiavelli family and probably housed agricultural workers in the past. The historic features of the property have been largely preserved. As a consequence, the rooms are rather small and there is no indoor shared public space other than the charming room where breakfast is served. There are some nice touches in the rooms including both lighting fixtures from a nearby town noted for its crystal and contemporary artwork. (Simone's father is an accomplished artist.) There is a wonderful terrace with a splendid view where guests can relax when the weather cooperates. Unfortunately, it was rainy and cold during our 4 day stay. The warmth of the owner Simone compensated for the chilly weather. We enjoyed talking with him (in Italian) every morning. At breakfast there was a wide choice, accommodating every taste. On Monday night, when most of the local restaurants are closed, Simone offers dinner to guests. We enjoyed the dinner, including the opportunity to talk with the other guests. The restaurant he recommended to us in San Casino, Il Gallo Giallo, provided one of the best meals of our month in Italy. We are decidedly slow travelers and unlike some guests who use the B&B as a base for visiting all of Tuscany, we found enough to occupy us in the small towns in the area. The highlights for us included visiting Machiavelli's house, standing in the spot where he viewed the cupola of the Duomo in Florence during his exile from that city, and eating in the tavern where he passed his days. In terms of more recent history, the nearby American Military Cemetery is impeccably maintained and very moving.

Room Tip: Michelangelo room has a beautiful view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
fontedelmachiavelli, Proprietario at La Fonte del Machiavelli, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Good morning, thank you very much for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed the B & B and the places,where Machiavelli spent his days.
Great Greetings
Simon, Matthew, Pamela
Batemans Bay, NSW, Aust.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Hi! I am a Machiavelli scholar and planned a stay at his former villa as part of my holiday to Europe. I booked for three nights accommodation (25-27 April 2013) via the property's website. As instructed I also payed a 15€ deposit. I made this booking in early December 2012 and the planned other activities around this stay. Since the booking I have been in touch with La Fonte del Machiavelli at least twice by e-mail and understood all was fine.

Imagine my surprise and annoyance when I and my wife arrived and were told not only we didn't they have a booking but had never heard of me.

I showed the owner the booking confirmation from his website. He then said "...but you have to pay the 15€ booking fee; no fee no booking". So then I showed him the receipt notice from having paid the booking fee. At this point he no longer spoke or understood English. He just babbled in Italian offering me one night but not the three nights I had booked.

I have been so looking forward to staying at La Fonte del Machiavelli - "sleeping in Machiavelli's bed" I told my friends. This is simply appalling.

So I cannot comment on our stay at La Fonte del Machiavelli because we never got to stay there. Be careful booking this establishment!

Room Tip: Check your booking, double check, and then check several more times.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
fontedelmachiavelli, Proprietario at La Fonte del Machiavelli, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Good evening, we have seen that by controlling the customer was right I can not say otherwise, the thing I was stunned behavior is somewhat unusual in that I gave him the availability of a night to fix the problem, I would have found a way to do so remain for the other two days, it's true my English is not excellent but I politely tried to explain, the Lord is a student of Machiavelli, I realize that I had the desire to sleep in one of his houses, perhaps taken from the anger is acted badly, telling me to consult with his wife is mounted in the car and is left without giving me a chance to explain further, we try to do our best but the mistakes can happen, so it is always advisable when you book directly to send emails asking for confirmation of the booking, I apologize again with Mr. Peter J Anderson if we can do something for the inconvenience we are available.
Simone Calonaci
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My mum and I stayed at La Fonte del Machiavelli for 3 nights. We were very happy to stay at a B&B at the countryside, so that we could relax after busy days in Florence and San Gimignano. The property is very beautiful and Simone is a very nice host. Unfortunately we don't speak any italian and although he tries his best with english we sometimes had troubles communicating. This was not a real problem as we could see he really intended to help us find the easiest way to Florence or a good restaurant to eat... and in the end, we found all of it. We went to florence from Tavernuzze, the bus goes every 20 minutes and parking there is free. We found it vary convenient.
Breakfast was very nice. Simone even got me all kinds of gluten free crackers, biscuits, and bread. We would recommend staying there, but keep in mind that there are not many restaurants in walking distance.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
fontedelmachiavelli, Proprietario at La Fonte del Machiavelli, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Good evening, thanks for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed the B & B La Fonte del Machiavelli.
Simone

Been to La Fonte del Machiavelli? Share your experiences!