“Mostly liked this place” 4 of 5 stars

Villa Curina
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Localita Curina, 53019 Castelnuovo Berardenga, Italy   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
California
“Mostly liked this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights as part of a cycling tour I was doing. When we arrived, we drove into an area where I guess we weren't supposed to be and a lady comes out and starts yelling at us, so our initial impression wasn't very good. But aside from this woman (who I think was an owner), everyone else was very nice. The property is certainly very pretty and well maintained. However, in the building where my room was located, the walls were paper thin -- I could hear the people in the next room go up and down the stairs and could actually hear what they were talking about. They have a little outbuilding where the breakfast buffet was located and then a very nice patio area where you could eat - that was probably my favorite part of this place. It's remote -- so you can't walk to other restaurants and must drive. We didn't try the onsite restaurant -- it seemed a little bit expensive. Instead, our guide took us into Castelnuovo Beradenga where a festival was taking place. At any rate, I mostly liked this place -- it was very pretty - maybe a little snooty -- but certainly a beautiful place to spend a few days.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Tenafly, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Wonderful old inn. Staff was extremely helpful in arranging price tour of winery and getting car service. Breakfast on the terrace was magnificent. Beautiful pool,and tennis court. Room was clean and grounds very well maintained

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The hotel is very well maintained and has beautiful scenery. The room was large and bed was comfortable. Breakfast was included and was the standard fair, the did make scrambled eggs and bacon everyday.

Check in was not as smooth as it should have been. The front desk person tried to get me to purchase another room for my nanny. I booked a suite which can sleep three people plus our infant. I emailed the resort and received confirmation from the manger Cinza saying yes the nanny could stay in the room for an additional $90 euro a night on the pull out sofa.

When we checked in the front desk stated that italian law required another rome because she was over 16 years of age. My response was really I have been all over Italy at this point and had no problems anywhere else and I already had a confirmation from the hotel. He called the manger and confirmed this. It made me feel he was trying to con me into another rome for an additional $45 euro a night. Just placed a bad taste in my mouth.

The food was good we had drinks and they give you some appetizers with your drinks chips and olives. We did not eat at the restaurant since it was fine Italian and I prefer more regional fare. Wifi service was good. The drinks were a little expensive.

The town near the resort was nice and had several good restaurant options.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Myself and my wife had previously stayed at Villa Curina 10 years ago when we were married in Siena, for our anniversary we decided to return.
Villa Curina is nestled in the rolling Tuscan countryside about 20minutes drive from Siena. The views of the surrounding landscape are simply breath-taking and almost worth the price of admission on their own. Well-tended gardens surround the villa and there is a large outdoor swimming pool and plenty of places to sit in either the sun or the shade and simply relax.
Our room was on the first floor with a balcony which overlooked the swimming pool. The ceilings are high and the room was generously proportioned, tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was bright and airy, there is a shower, but no bath. Satellite tv was available in the room with movies and sports for a daily charge (we didn’t bother watching tv while there), there is also tea/coffee making facilities and a mini bar.
We ate in the restaurant while there and really enjoyed the meal.
Breakfast was a buffet affair, with plenty of breads, cheeses, cereals, juices etc, all very fresh and tasty.
I would have no hesitation recommending Villa Curina for a romantic and relaxing stay in a stunningly beautiful setting.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
villacurina, Proprietario at Villa Curina, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear guest,

many thanks for your beautiful review.

We are really happy you spent a nice anniversary with us and we hope to have you as our guest again and again in the future.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

It was an amazing experience, the rooms were huge, comfortable and very very clean!!! The staff were all extremely polite, nice and helpful. I don't think I had ever had come across to such helpful and warm staff, that helped us organise and better our trip. The location and the building was also amazing and gave you the impression that you were in a movie. The restaurant and breakfast were also great. I was a bit hesitant when I booked it, since from the photos on the internet it didn't seem that great. However, it really exceeded my expectations and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

many thanks for your beautiful review.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thanks for your kind words for all of us.

We hope to have you as our guest again in the future!
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Villa Curina was a wonderful second stop on our trip to Italy. A car is most definitely required as it is very much in the heart of the country side and in order to get to anything you will need to drive. It is a beautiful location, with breathtaking views of the rolling tuscan hills. The staff where very nice and attentive and our room was a great size and very clean with updated bathrooms, great shower pressure, etc. We did not try the restaurant that is on site, but it has great reviews and was packed. We mainly used it as a base location for our day trips into Siena and to visit some other hilltop towns, but if you want to just sit back and relax on location all day, they have a nice pool as well! Would recommend!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Really enjoyed this place. Huge rooms. Bed ok comfort. The shower wasn't huge, but was adequate. You're a little ways from other stuff since you're sort of isolated on a hill, but that's true of many places in Tuscany, and that's part of the charm. The restaurant at the hotel was above average for dinner. Breakfast was average at best. There's a pool here too if you come when the weather is hot (or can tough it out). Either way, the pool area is nice for relaxing.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Villa Curina? Share your experiences!