“A hidden gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Campagnatico
Umbertide
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We had to stay near Grosseto and found this. We stayed 4 very comfy nights - the owner is 75 and owns an award winning vineyard. The Sri Lankan waiter overheard my wife say she was diabetic and the chef got up early next morning to make a superb choc and pear cake for breakfast! The food in this restaurant with rooms is Michelin standard but very reasonably priced. The house wine has a choice and is wonderful - ridiculously cheap. The whole experience was superb - it is a bit off the beaten track.

Room Tip: I think they are all nice but we had the junior suite. It is 3 star as they do not have amazing faci...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

We stayed at the Locanda del Glicine on our honeymoon for three nights. I had stayed in Campagnatico before although my husband had not. He was overwhelmed by the service and accomodations.
The rooms are a delightful combination of old and new with the exposed medieval stone walls of the tower combined with a recent renovation and modern bathrooms. The room was quite large and was the biggest that we stayed in during our trip to Italy.
The staff could not have been more personable and ready to serve. Our every needed was anticipated and met including appertivo waiting when we arrived late afternoon. The restaurant downstairs has some of the best Tuscan rustic cuisine that I have ever tasted. The tempura fried zucchini flowers were particularly delicious. The owners, the Monaci family, also own Cantina Pieve Vecchia, a winery and olive grove just below the city and serve their finest wines, grappa, and olive oil in the quaint restaurant.
The town boasts a delightful coffee shop, a beautiful old church, and sweeping views of the Maremma. Located close to Grosseto, Siena, Montalcino, and Montepulciano, making it a great place to explore the coast and the famous Tuscan wine regions.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Lake Worth, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

This was the best part of my 10 day trip to Italy! My friend & I were the only guests & we were treated like queens. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more accomodating. Simonetta is lovely. My friend was ill during our trip & they really helped us when we needed it! Sandun, our waiter, wore alot of hats for us... he served us our most impressive dinner, than in the morning drove us to the winery of the owners of the hotel, Vincenzo & Mariagratzia for a private tour, then he was kind enough to drive us to the train station!! Vincenzo even arranged ticketsfor us @ his theatre in Rome. This truely made the trip all worth while.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
sarasota, florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

If you're looking for a comfortable, affordable place to rest your head in a quaint Tuscan hilltop town this is it. We spent 2 nts and were very well attended to by a great bi-lingual staff. The village of Campagnatico is full of enticing narrow streets to explore with panoramic views. The restaurant is this hotel is the BEST in town and one of the best on our trip. The young chef came from Milan with experience in Calif. and New York....very creative,and an excellant value. Even if you don't stay @ the hotel, do have a meal here....fantastic!

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Florence, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

I needed to bring my dogs with me during the weekend so I asked the owners and they told me it was no problem, as long as the dogs were used to staying and sleeping indoors.
I found the rooms very quiet, comfortable and elegantly furnished.
The restaurant and services were the best part of my weekend. The food was divine, in the Tuscan tradition. We had lunch, dinner and breakfast at the Locanda: greatly impressed!
Unfortunately I stayed just one day at the Locanda: hope to go back there soon.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Locanda del Glicine? Share your experiences!