“Value for Money” 3 of 5 stars

The Valley, Achill Island, Ireland   |
Dublin, Ireland
“Value for Money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

A large group of us stayed at the Valley House for the Easter long weekend. Generally the consensus was that the staff and owner were friendly and hospitable, and the rooms themselves were clean and comfortable.

This is a hostel, not a hotel, so sharing rooms can be subjective - since our group all knew each other there were no problems with noise or issues with late movements about the place.

The Valley has its own bar attached, with nice open fire. Breakfast on offer is cereal and toast, but free to cook up your own fry if you so wished.

The house itself is a nice old country home, so don’t be expecting crisp clean lines, and there’s the odd patch of wall in need of repair, but it kind of adds to the character of the house. The showers could do with a bit of a revamp as the temperature was a little hit and miss at times.

One area that needs a bit of improvement is the driveway up... good old Irish potholes starting to take over.

Overall a pleasant stay at the valley house hostel.

Room Tip: There is a twin/ private room if you are not fond on the dorm bed arrangments
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Belfast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

By far the worst hostel I have ever been into. No heat in bedrooms or anywhere in hostel besides a small fire in sitting room that wasn't topped up with coal or any fuel from when it was started which was at about 7pm. We waited in the sitting room until 11.30pm and believe it or not, when we went up the rooms were still absolutely freezing to the point where I could see my own breath. It was too cold of a room to stay here and he offered to find us a B&B. I told him I expected him to pay for this as it was entirely his fault that we had to leave but he point blank refused. We ended up going to a hotel on the island which works out at five euro extra per night each for our own room and there is no way in hell I would go back to the hostel. Thank goodness I didn't have to try the showers the next day. Also 2 toilets is unacceptable for a hostel of this size and must be in breach of regulations. If anyone is interested, there is a decent kitchen and sitting room but so so cold that any good is taken away. The owner Pat's apology was in no way sincere as he had lots of chances to get the heating turned on properly or to at least tell us earlier in the evening/night that it could not be repaired, etc. as we told him at 6.30pm, 8.15pm, 10pm and finally at 12am when we gave up and left the hostel. Nightmare. Don't stay here until he gets his act together.

Room Tip: --Haggle a room in a hotel for almost same price --Price of private room in this hostel is 25 each...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
alicegal, Owner at The Valley House Holiday Hostel & Bar, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
We’re very sorry you were not happy. We did have a problem with the heat in the hostel that night, but only in the upstairs part of the house. When we discovered the problem we did our very best to fix it as quickly as possible - however the problem was compounded by the fact that your boyfriend had TURNED OFF the radiators (not only in your room, but in another person's room next door) and it took a long time to discover this and rectify the problem.

While also tending to a busy bar and to other guests, we had to spend time looking for your boyfriend’s money and phone which he claimed was stolen from the kitchen. He had left it in your car, it was not stolen, but we did spend time trying to resolve that problem for you. You also did not seem to be able to open your room door and insisted it was broken, although we opened it without a problem.

You decided to leave, which is fine, and Pat did apologise to you (sincerely). I myself spent a long time on the phone trying to get through to B&B's and hotels to book a room on your behalf but you left in anger because we would not pay for your stay in a hotel, even though we had refunded your money in full for your stay with us.

We're sorry you felt that you had a bad experience in our hostel. Most of the time our guests have a really good time here and other people who stayed the same night as you had a completely different view point to yours. We do feel disappointed when a guest is unhappy.

We’re just not sure how venting your anger annoymously on this website by calling us despicable and insincere is really of any positive use to anyone, especially when your account of our facilities and our demeanour in handling any problems on the night is quite inaccurate.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

If you're with a group and want what will possibly be the best weekend ever away from the hustle and bustle of a city do yourself a favour and get yourself to the valley house. Where do I start, well it's not that often that you'll find a hostel which has a bar in it with music sessions till the wee hours where all are welcome to come along and play in if they want. The guys who run this mystical place could not be nicer. It's so great to meet real people without all the crap which you so often get. Really cannot understand the below reviews, obviously they had some sort of agenda. Anyhow if you want a piece of real Ireland get yourself to the valley house where you are guaranteed what will be the highlight of your trip whether you are from far away or from here in Ireland. Really cannot recommend this place enough for a wonderful weekend of actual real Craic!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
vermilion
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed at a B&B within walking distance of The Valley House Hostel and Bar and found it well worth the walk. It is situated in a old home off the main road and I found the condition of the road the only thing that was not perfect. The proprietor regaled us with stories about not only his facility but from Achill Island itself. It was chilly so we really appreciated the fireplace that always seemed to be burning. The prices on the drinks were very reasonable and the old bar itself gorgeous. I highly recommend a visit to The Valley House Hostel and Bar if you ever find yourself on Achill Island, Ireland.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

my stay in this wonderful old house could not have been better, I have travelled around the world for many of my fifty years and have rarely have found such a helpful, kind,consideate staff . going to Achill Island in November is not a place you go for sunshine, and although the weather was not good - it rained every day -there can be nothing better than returning back to the hostel after a long walk and being met with a roaring log fire and a hot toddy - bliss, most nights local musicians along with some fellow travellers would play music not just Irish trad but a great mixture of folk rock, blues until late. On the odd night that they did not play, it was great to sit in the bar- have a pint and catch up on my postcards and my book in front of the fire, I will be back, as soon as I can, thanks Pat, I could not recommend this hostel more highly

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed in the Valley Hostel on Achill Island. I was part of the group who stayed over the Halloween weekend.

I have travelled extensively, and stayed in numerous Hostels all over the world. Some very bad and others very good. The worst was a Hostel in Budapest where the beds were covered in pubic hairs and the shower had a strong smell of urine. Unfortunately, my stay in Achill was, without question my worst experience to date. As an Irish citizen I am ashamed and embarrassed that this experience occurred in my own country. I have a few points to make as listed below:

1. There was an elderly gentleman in the bar, who was so drunk that he was unable to speak. He became so disinhibited that he proceeded to sexually harass all the female members of our group. Despite multiple requests from members of our group to this individual to amend his behaviour, he continued being completely inappropriate, his acts bordering on criminal. We then asked the management to remove this individual from the premises on several occasions. These requests were also ignored and astonishingly, the staff continued to serve him alcohol. Unacceptable.

2. There was no heating on, in the middle of winter, in an old, large, country house. Unacceptable.

3. There was no hot water. Most of us were unable to have showers, whilst some people had cold showers. Completely unacceptable. This is the main reason, amongst others, why most of us didn't stay the next night. Like most people, we all wanted to wash!

4. There did not appear to be any staff on the premises on the second day. Toilets had not been cleaned, bins were not emptied and we were unable to voice our concerns about the service.

5. In response to the management's suggestion that we were all bringing our own alcohol into the licensed premises - I have been made aware that a very small
Minority if the group were doing this and this of course is regrettable and not behaviour that I would condone, however as proprieters of the business since 1947, I would have thought the management would have been able to deal w/ this in a professional manner. All hospitality management face issues like this on a regular basis, whether they be 5 star establishments or hostels w/ no ratings. However, sadly, as illustrated by the pints above, professionalism and hospitality are not attributes that this particular establishment can boast.

In summary I will never be staying there again, I can't think of anything worse and I urge anyone of sane mind never to stay there.

• Stayed October 2012
mayo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

but the owner is not always the friendliest, we found him a bit weird and got the feeling he didn't want any of us there, only for him, this would have been a lovely stay. small kitchen, people say its unclean but its an old house but furnished with items of its time which really adds to the atmosphere of the place, until the owner gets cranky

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
alicegal, Owner at The Valley House Holiday Hostel & Bar, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Please see our response to the previous review.

Been to The Valley House Holiday Hostel & Bar? Share your experiences!