“holiday to remember for all the wrong reasons” 1 of 5 stars

Cephalonia Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sandy Beach | X Katogis, Lixouri 28200, Greece   |
Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Lixouri
London, United Kingdom
“holiday to remember for all the wrong reasons”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

just returned from a holiday at this hotel, on arrival all looked very nice, room was nice as was the pool and location..then we get to the service of the staff and the rudeness of the other Slovakian guests!! Started off with a child being spiteful to my daughter in the childrens pool,told him to stop twice and he carried on I had to go over to his parents who were sitting watching him before they told him to stop. This happened with various children all holiday.
The childrens club was run by a Slovakian so those children were favoured over the Brits my 6yr old only went in there twice and the kids club was one of the reasons we went here as there is nothing else to do...the entertainment was more participation than entertainment it was things like quiz nights and karaoke so if you didnt want to join in you had to go to bed as theres only so much beer you can drink out of a plastic cup round the pool which isnt very pleasant.
Sun loungers were reserved got one for 3hrs the day before we came home, the poolside bins were overflowing and attracting the wasps..the food was not very good, the service in the restaurant we could of died of thirst and when I asked the manager for a drink was told to sit down and I would be served...never was...happened again 2 days later and had a bit of a hissy fit couldnt do more and the apologises flowed..too late I was already upset!
The poolside bar staff began to take the micky out of me and then would serve everyone before me then after 5 days bought an ice cream ( unlike alot of people) and they charged me for 2 drinks when they knew I was all inclusive..no not overworked just trying it on..(.I took this all personally) I am sure that local greek children use the pool and staffs children would turn up who also were rude to us on one occasion.
The main bar staff was excellent the young boy was on his own but very pleasant just the bar was dirty my arm got stuck to it..thats my only complaint there..and I did have a few and havent finished yet!!
A wedding was held at the Hotel on the Sunday and we had our holiday disrupted as we had to eat early in the evening. If they want to provide occasions at the hotel then surely our holiday should not be affected by it?
I paid a lot of money to holiday for a week at this hotel...I would return to Kefalonia as its a beautiful Island but would i return to this hotel..well I think you know the answer...NO!!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

217 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Just got back from CPH, what a wonderful holiday we had, just two adults looking to just relax with no stress, it was perfect for that.
The hotel is so clean, room was basic but absolutely fine, looking over the back garden. Our bed was hard but comfy and we slept very well, air con was quiet and worked well.
Staff were great, always happy and helpful, lovely lady in shop and in Pool bar.
Pool was brilliant, beautiful and clean, but yes people did seem to leave towels on chairs through the day, and we had to get more sunbeds or wait for one, which was ok.
The beach is a couple of minutes away and I would say one of the best beaches, and in the evening when going for a walk, no one was there, not sure where everyone was as sometimes as we were told the hotel way full, but never felt that way.
This is the first all inclusive holiday that I have been on, and first of all I didnt like the food, but once I got used to the lay out and what to look for I was fine, sometimes could have done with being a bit warmer, but if you queued and had an omelette or pizza it was perfect.
The drinks were great, pineapple juice from morning til night :) with a few vodkas thrown in!!
There was fruit and cake and biscuits at the pool bar most of the day, but it was the same everyday. You can get tea and coffee at the pool bar as well.
We only had lunch once, and then were either going round the island or on the beach at the BayWatch Bar which did amazing burgers.
We didnt rate the entertainment, as it was mainly for kids, and we didnt have any!
There arent any shops around so definately get a car, we had one for two days which was ample and travelled the island from top to bottom, it is a truly beautiful island and some very warm and friendly people. thank you Chris, our Thompson rep, for getting us a car.
We were told the transfer would be 2 hrs but it was less than that, and fun going over on the ferry.
Its not a place to go for teenagers,drinking etc, its a place to go to relax and enjoy.
Would we go again!! if I needed a really relaxing break then yes, but there are so many places to see :)
It did say there was a Spa, but we didnt find it :(
Thank you to CPH staff for such a lovely time x
Fay and Tim

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Just returned from 2 weeks at the Cephalonia 'Palace' - it's not palatial. Flights were good, transfers were smooth and Chris the rep is often around for questions you might have. Kephalonia is beautiful so do one of the trips or hire a car we did both.

Booked with Thomson having had several fantastic holidays with them and was told it was a 3*plus so to expect pretty much a 4* - that was very misleading information. I should have guessed from the price as of course you do get what you pay for.

The main problem is the restaurant. They continually run out of everything there is no anticipation that food gets taken and needs refilling, they replenish food containers only when they have been emptied and guests are hanging around waitring for more. There's not even a menu by the self service dishes, just childrens pictures of a cow or a pig to guide you. Hardly any variation and poor quality food most of the time. In 2 weeks we never had a smile from any staff, it was hard to get their attention to get a drink, no water was provided. Basically they are runing the hotel on very few staff and they are overworked and very fed up. No sign of the manager the entire time.

Location is great - right on the beach.

Housekeeping is good, kept our rather tired looking room clean,bathroom needs updating as was pretty shabby.

Not enough umbrellas round the pool and sunloungers were all reserved early depsite notices saying staff would remove towels from unattended sunloungers they never did. The music round the pool drive us nuts why do hotels insist on this? - most people have personal music after all.

I felt the hotel was unloved and the staff were dispirited, such a shame but maybe understandable if its because of the current situation in Greece.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Just got back from holiday at this hotel. Transfers to and from hotel were spot on - was worried about a late ferryboat trip having being delayed but last one sails at 12 midnight. Chris,our Thompson's rep was very welcoming and helpful. A meal had been kept aside for our late arrival at 11pm but due to time, avoided it.
Room was big enough for the 3 of us - a camp bed was set up for my youngest. Take a hairdryer as theirs is not ideal especially if you are a big hair fan. Didn't like the pillows - too lumpy. Cleaner kept it basically clean- clean bedsheets and towels every day but must admit we had left an empty Malteser's packet on floor plus 2 used coffee cups which the cleaner failed to see for 3 days!! Bathroom small, toilet seat a bit worn out and light a bit dismal. Needs updating. View was of the back garden - basic - better views from other rooms - perhaps ask for a sea view or pool view??
The restaurant was at times overcrowded. Alot of Slovakians in this hotel - they seem to stick together thus hoard up tables in gangs - guests had a habit of wanting to hit the food from 1st opening time at noon - best to wait til after 1.15pm for a sitting. Food was delicious- freshly cooked. If you are happy to try the Greek cuisine- this will be perfect for you. Being a ex resident of Greece, I can honestly say - the food was perfect. Perhaps more choice needed for children if they are fusspots - but if so, I'm sure like most children, they will survive on the pasta, pizza,chips, and chicken. Breakfast was plentiful with choices from cereals, toast, continental, full English to omeletes. You will never go hungry at this hotel as seemed to be food around all day.
Once finished breakfast. hit the pool or beach. Poolside bar staff are fab- always with banter and a smile for you. AI drinks are served in large cups - like a MacD medium size cup so you can' complain. Plenty of drinks available. Cake, biscuits, fresh fruit and ice cream are free and on hand throughout afternoon. 2 problems with the pool - yep you guessed it - you have to get up to towel reserve your sun lounger. Plus after a while you may notice a greenish colour on anything white on your bathers. Not good!!
Wi fi use is free but if you have a crap phone, best to sit in main bar upstairs as best signal from there. Would go back for a holiday after all said and done.

Room Tip: upgrade - ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Clacton-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Few but very hard working staff, lovely rooms, next to the beach. Quite remote and only one bus in the morning and one to return in the afternoon but taxi's for 10 euros a trip. Ideal beach holiday, thomsons excursion Sun Cruise was excellent.

Room Tip: we chose a garden room to try and avoid the noise from the pool but it didn't help as the entert...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

From the reception staff, to the bar and restaurant staff down to the cleaning staff, everyone could not do enough to make our stay perfect.
Little touches like the free wifi and free water at the outside pool made a big difference.
Our kids loved the entertainment team-thanks Valantino!
The food was very good and varied.
The location is good too being a minutes walk to the lovely beach

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My third visit. My last was 5years ago. Still spotless, with hot fresh food, spacious air conditioned sea view room. Lovely clean pool. Beautiful soft sand safe child friendly 3 mile beach. Have been in export for 40 years, and stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world. By these top hotel standards, I would rate this hotel at least a true 4 star. Have also stayed in some 5 star hotels that I would rate as a true 1 star !!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Not all rooms are sea view. Try and arrange with the Hotel direct, higher the better.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cephalonia Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!