“4* hotel like no star” 1 of 5 stars

“4* hotel like no star”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2007

This hotel website is:

[---]

OK Where would I begin......

We are travelling through Vietnam and we made a stop in Quang Ngai. In this town there is nothing here for tourism but its a big town between Nha Trang and Hoi An. I looked in the Lonely Planet book and it recommend this hotel saying it is the classiest joint in town. If you check the website they are classed a 4 star hotel.

To begin writing about this review I wonder on were to start:

1 Once we checked in we went to the room and it looked like it was from the 80's. I was very suprised to hear that the hotel is only 9 years old. All the furniture is very old, damaged and out of date. The TV really sucks, its big, but your lucky to get many channels with a good signal. The carpet is really old with many stains, burns and holes. I guess the hotel does not repair the damage since it opened.

2 We decide to eat in the hotel restaurant, I must say that the food is pretty good quality, but it lacks atmosphere. There is a view of the city on the 7th floor, but nothing amazing. The weird thing is that in the price menu it states that it costs 10,000 dong for an orange juice. After we paid we discovered they charged us 20,000 (100% increase). We brought this to their attention and they explained that no-one else complained, and the price went up 2 years ago but they did not update the prices in the menu. WOW.

3. The final thing I would say which was bad is that we left our room to look around and of course you leave items in your room (not valuables) on the tables. Well when we came back we discovered that our dirtry clothes was missing. We looked everywere in the room and then we called reception. They said they are being washed. (In the room there is a
document which requires the guest signature and items to be recorded before it leaves the room otherwise the hotel is not responsible). We did not complete this form and they took it without our permission. Once we called the Front Desk and we explained they returned our clothes to the room and they were still wet. It was a huge insult that they took something without our permission and return it to us worse and we had
to dry our clothes. (Since this was our last day of our trip there was no need to wash anything, since we could do it ourselves the following day in our home town.)

Well, this is only 2.30pm and we have been here less than 24 hours and we have 24 more hours left. I hope nothing else goes bad. I have stayed in many hotels all over the world, but its amazing how they are allowed to class this hotel a 4* when it looks, smells and feels like a 1 or maybe 2 star hotel. They state they have a swimming pool. When I seen the pool I wanted to go back to the room. It looks like no-one has been in it for over a year and a very strange colour. Maybe it has not been cleaned in a long time????

Lastly, I can say that we met a nice Gentleman from Ho Chi Minh City. It was brough to our attention that he was brought here to improve the hotel's image and facilities. He did make us feel more welcome and he was very plesant. I wish him the best of luck and hope we can do something and help the hotel improve their image and facilities. Hopefully if I have to come back I can write a positive review after the changes have been made. All of the staff at the reception and the restaurant was helpful and friendly. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at MarkWilliamsUK@yahoo.com.

OK... Since my 1st review could not go through since TA could not find the hotel I have tried again. I can now conclude the information of the rest of the stay.

There was only two problems in the last 24 hours of the stay which you won't believe.

1. If you remember we was charged an extra 10,000 dong for the orange juice. The representative from Ho Chi Minh City assured us he would take care of the problem and we will only have to pay which is written in the menu for the next occasion. In the final night we had a group dinner for about 13 people. Some of these people had orange juice. Well..... when I recieved the charges, they decided to charge us 25,000 dong this time. So it went from 10,000 to 20,000 and now 25,000. When I asked why, they replied because they had to use an extra orange to make the juice. Can you believe this??? They did not ask us if it was ok, but they just did it. The matter is that based on previous problems you would think they would not make problems worse. it is not about the money but the idea were they don't know the first thing about customer service and the way business should be run.

2. On the check out the bill was to be paid by credit card, which when we checked in they said they accept. When we checked out the person on the front desk said the machine is not working and we have to pay another way. At this time I have no money and no PIN. Eventually she calls a manager from Ho Chi Minh City and he takes 15 seconds and swipes the card and it is authorsied. I assume that she does not have a clue how to swipe the card and just says to guests that its out of order. To make the special close of our trip she makes an error and charges us too much. We decided to sign the transaction and have a refund in cash in local currency.

If you go to this hotel, don't pay more than what is advertised. Always check the calculations and be prepared for problems. I really wish this hotel good luck in the future and I hope some good can come from my comments.

My e-mail again is MarkWilliamsUK@yahoo.com

Stayed March 2007

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)

Been to Central Hotel? Share your experiences!