“Passing by so gave it a try” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Moulton
Cuisines: English, Seafood, Steakhouse, Gastropub
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Provenance is at the heart of everything we do not only do we champion great local producers and suppliers on our menus but we also work with local businesses and tradesmen to ensure we are 'keeping it local'. Local, friendly and well trained staff ensure a friendly, relaxing service and atmosphere.
North Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
“Passing by so gave it a try”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

My partner and I were just driving through the villages and decided to go for a meal. My partner mentioned the Black Bull as he'd been maintaining the grounds recently. Neither of us had eaten there before so we thought we'd try it out.
First initial thoughts as we entered the front into the bar was warm and friendly. We asked for a table for two and were taken into the resteraunt (I get the feeling you'd normally need to book), Very plush surroundings, well decorated and spacious.
We felt very under dressed but we were still welcomed.
There is a good variety of wines on the wine list and a good choice (but not too many to decide) on the food menu.
Before our main arrived, we were given complementory mushroom soup and bread which was wonderful and packed with flavour.
I had duck for my main which was cooked perfectly to how I like it and my partner had a burger to which he throughly enjoyed.
For dessert I chose from the specials; Plum Frangipane which I was abit disapointed with. It was quite dry and lacked flavour (Frangipane is one of my favorites).
My partner had summer berry tidy (tidy version of eton mess) but he was also disapointed. It came on a big wooden board and looked great but it looked to be more of a garnish for a dessert than an actual dessert. He was still hungry.
Other than the sweet, the food was excellent and it has a very up market feel. We would return and will recommend to friends/family.

ian p, General Manager at Black Bull Inn, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review naturally i am disappointed you did not enjoy your desserts and myself and chef have takern your comments on board.

I am pleased that you enjoyed every other aspect of your experiance with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Ian and the team.

Saxmundham, United Kingdom
“One of the Best Sunday Lunches Ever...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Stopped here for Sunday lunch en route to our accommodation near Richmond. I must say that it was one of the best Sunday lunches I've ever had. As you'd expect, it being in Yorkshire, the Yorkshire puddings were sublime (I'm a Yorkshireman) and the beef was cooked to perfection and there was more than plenty of it. Even the veggies were perfectly cooked and the cauliflower cheese dressing on the veggies was very tasty. The roast potatoes were crispy on the outside, but fluffy on the inside, as they should be... Very much recommended. Even the kids ate everything on their plates.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your recent review regrdinmg your visit for sunday lunch at the bull, i am delighted that as a Yorkshireman you enjoyed your sunday lunch and more importanly gave the Yorkshire puddings the thumbs up !!!

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Catterick Garrison
“first visit to the new Black Bull at Moultton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Went to the Black Bull on sunday with my daughter and partner, we had an amazing meal from start to finish, could not fault the service or the food, after dinner cocktails were amazing, plenty or choice, lovely relaxed atmosphere with soft lighting and music in the back ground, would definitely recommend the cote de boeuf and the chateaubriand , my favourite was cooked to perfection. All staff very welcoming and friendly. The presentation of the desserts , a work of art

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review i am delighted you enjoyed your recent visit to us and i look forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Ian and the team
“First time visit to excellent restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We visited this restaurant after I stopped by for a coffee on a cycling trip (puncture) and was rescued by my wife Elaine. We liked the look and feel of the Black Bull so we booked a meal for the weekend. The decor and atmosphere is really first class and it is clear the owners know what quality looks like. We had a superb meal, great service and will be back again soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, naturally i am delighted you enjyed your visit to us.

I hope to see you again in the near future and hope you got your bike fixed ok!!!!

Richmond, United Kingdom
“Fantastic lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I have eaten at the beautifully refurbished Black Bull on a number of occasions since its reopening and have been delighted with every visit. Most recently I had lunch with three friends for a birthday celebration. We started with a drink in the bar, which retains the character of a country pub, before being shown through to the bright, airy dining room. The food was superb. We had a wide range of dishes, all utterly delicious. The portions were just right and, I thought, good value for money. The staff were friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. I will most certainly continue to recommend it to friends and will most definitely be returning!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ian p, General Manager at Black Bull Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
I am Delighted you enjoyed your recent visit to us and your like all aspects of the bull, i would agree with you it is the staff that make the experiance and i am very prod of them.

Kind regards