“Top notch food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Continental, British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: A friendly family welcome is extended to all who visit The Highwayman, a grade II listed 17th century timber framed building that has been sympathetically extended. Located on the A140, just a few minutes outside Ipswich, Needham Market and Stowmarket in Suffolk, The Highwayman is easily accessible and an ideal meeting point for all occasions.David & Olga took over the running of The Highwayman restaurant in Ipswich in October 2004 and warmly welcome everyone to sample the honest homecooked food, a good selection and well kept real ales. The main restaurant and galleries provide a traditional and relaxing atmosphere in the which to dine amongst soft lighting that compliments the exposed oak frame of the building.Our food is all about the ingredients which, whenever possible, are locally sourced, seasonal and always freshly prepared. In particular a relaxing Sunday lunchtime at The Highwayman is sure to become a tradition. Tuck into roast rib of beef with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables.
ipswich
“Top notch food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Me and my wife went here on a friday evening and we both has excellent food and service. The atmosphere was nice and relaxed. The waitress was very attentive and welcoming. We had duck and the ribeye steak and were cooked to perfection and I am very fussy when it comes to steak.
We will be going again

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

93% Recommend
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
“Always a gracious welcome and superb food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

A group of 12 of us had a lovely meal again at The Highwayman last night. The food is excellent, always fresh and beautifully presented and David and Olga are the perfect hosts, making you feel welcome at every opportunity. I have booked our Christmas meal here already! I highly recommend it and look forward to returning.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Hidden away treasure of a restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have passed this Restaurant many times as I turn off the A14 up the A140 but have never realised what I have been missing by not dining here.
The car park is well laid out and designed for safety as the A140 is a 50mph stretch (For safety reasons) of dual carriageway and the entry and exits of the car park facilitate safe access.
The building is pleasing and well maintained and this care is carried on in to the interiour and in the welcome I received by the staff. I was greeted by a young lady who directed me to the bar area suggesting that I take a seat whilst a table was made ready for me in the restaurant. The gentleman at the bar (who i believe to be the manager) asked me for my name and addressed me on First name terms saying somebody would come and take my order after I had been give time to study the menu. He explained that their were specials on two separate board; one for vegetarians and the other for non-vegetarians. Despite the menu choices I decided to go for the Sunday Roast Rib of Beef.
I was invited to go through to the Restaurant and the waitress picked up my pint of beer, put it on a tray, and led me through to my table. The roast beef was brought to me after a very short while and was beautifully laid out on the plate (see attached photograph). the whole meal was exactly to my taste and a substantial portion- so substantial that I could not manage a dessert!
The atmosphere, decor and ambience completed an eye-opening and very enjoyable experience!

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

In the area for one night and called into The Highwayman for dinner. We had a very warm and friendly welcome from David and thought the atmosphere and surroundings were lovely. We chose the set menu at a very reasonable price. The food was excellent and the service first class. If we are in the area again we will certainly return.

Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Went to Highwayman on the spur of the moment, one evening when we just wanted to get meal out to save me cooking. Very impressed - nice selecetion of real ales. Very friendly staff behind the bar. Food was very good, lovely sauces and extras that you don't get in typical pub food. Very reasonably priced. Waitress was also very friendly - not just "polite and efficient" as in so many pubs or reataurants. desserts were delicious. Will definitely visit again.