“I will not stay in a Peppers resort ever again” 1 of 5 stars

You added Peppers Bluewater Resort to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   State Highway 8, Lake Tekapo 7945, New Zealand   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lake Tekapo
Sydney, Australia
“I will not stay in a Peppers resort ever again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

This hotel has the worst service in any hotel in New Zealand, I was very impressed on how bad it is, it seems that staff members don't have any guest services skills whatsoever. We arrived at the hotel after 3pm and our room was not ready, the person at the Front Desk was very rude and she seem that she did not care at all about her job. When we came back and went to the room we've found a queen bed instead of twins, my travel agent asked for twin beds I had the proved for that.
I went back to talk to the rude receptionist and she said she was going to ask housekeeping to change that. Then we were informed that the housekeeping department has left, and that my brother and I will have to share the bed. they did not offer to change our room, or ask a manager to come and separate the beds. If you are the Manager of this Hotel you have to make sure that your hotel is running well. To the Manager, do you ever read this experiences? do you have anything to say?

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, do not stay at any Peppers Resort
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
andrewmfreak, General Manager at Peppers Bluewater Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Kia ora martinayel1970,

Firstly, we would like to sincerely apologise for a number issues you encountered upon check in. There was no excuse for not having your accommodation ready, and for our inability to handle your booking requests. Secondly, I certainly review all posts on Trip Advisor and have responded strongly with my team this morning to these concerns. This is not the level of customer service we are accustomed to, nor accept and firm action will indeed be taken. I know that does not undo what has been done in your instance, but you do have my assurance that this review has been taken to heart.

Warm regards,

Peppers Bluewater Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I was booked to stay at Peppers Lake Tekapo while I was on holiday with my mum. Booked through a travel agent and thought it would be lovely. When we arrived at 3pm our room wasn't ready and we were asked to come back an hour later. When we came back and finally got to our room, it had been made up as a double and not a twin as asked. Went back to reception and advised them of this. They said they would fix it. The room was so small that there was nowhere to sit and there was no view and a window so tiny that the room actually made me think it was previously used as a prison cell. We weren't offered a drink or anything while we waited. After about 40 minutes we went back and asked again and and they couldn't give us a time frame so I said we'd be taking our business elsewhere. They would not offer a refund despite the appalling service. It was booked through a travel agent so I followed up when I got home and they eventually refunded the cost of the breakfast for the next morning but not the $200 for the room. I was really unimpressed and would not consider staying with peppers again.

Room Tip: Don't go with Peppers
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Kia ora Eli W,

We regret the issues you suffered upon arrival, and apologise for the inconvenience caused to you. You were allocated to a Standard Hotel Room, as was booked by your agent. Regretfully, we were fully booked that night, and otherwise would have offered you a number of alternative room types to better serve your needs.
I would appreciate the opportunity for you to contact me directly via email :-andrew.freak@peppers.co.nz

Many thanks,

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

On a recent photography tour of New Zealand, I was thrilled to find that we would be spending a night in a Peppers resort - I had always thought that they were really "top end". I was very disappointed.

The resort is quite large - meaning lengthy walks to get around. The room was incredibly small - it reminded me of some of the motel rooms in Europe. The bed was a king-size and completely filled the room. There couldn't have been more than 600mm or 700mm on either side. There were no chairs, no table or desk and nowhere to put luggage. The room also has a nice view of the car park and another building on the other side - not great. The TV is a tiny flat-screen situated in an awkward position for viewing from the only furniture in the room - the bed.

I guess that I don't have to try another Peppers resort now - that's well and truly out of my system.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Kia ora Mikey0308,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay.
Naturally, we are very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy yourself. Unfortunately, the Standard Hotel Rooms are very small in size, and do not fit everyone's needs. They are a suitable budget option for those looking for a basic space to sleep. We do have a wide range of larger rooms types, and I certainly encourage guests to ensure they seek out the best fit for their particular needs. I regret that your room left your overall experience short of the mark.

Naturally, we would welcome another chance to leave the right impression in the future.

Best wishes,

Nelson, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I thought this was going to be a great final accommodation for our tiki-tour of the McKenzie Basin! How wrong was I . Greeted at reception, eventually, the clerk was dealing with a customer but never made eye contact with us till he was finished . Told we had been upgraded, really? The room, when we found it was freezing, had not been warmed to add any cosy feeling, the heater had no instructions, and it needed it! The shower was mouldy, I mean furry grey mould growing in the grouting and up the tiles.the a TV remote was broken and we had to hold the batteries in with your hand. To get to the room, at night you have to navigate steps and winding paths in a dimly lit maze! The fridge was hidden behind a door in the corner which opened in the opposite direction to the fridge door and bang up against the bedside table, you get the picture! We left early and booked into a beautiful place on the lake shore. Oh sorry if we disturbed the clerk when we left and handed back the key, you can go back to your solitaire now!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
andrewmfreak, General Manager at Peppers Bluewater Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Kia ora kathypantling,

Thank you for your review, which obviously raises a few concerns for me and our team.
There are certainly some aspects about our service delivery that can and will be vastly improved using your feedback. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further, if you could be so kind as to contact me:- andrew. freak@peppers.co.nz

Sincere regards,

Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

This hotel is so radically different than what the pictures show. It is terribly run down. Cleaning staff leaves drawstring sacks full of dirty towels and sheets right in front of the rooms all day long. Curtains are stained, bedspreads are stained. The walls have scratches and touch up paint all over, that does not match. The beds are worse than horrible. The first room they gave us smelled so bad we would not even bring our bags in. Someone came with a mask on and sprayed the room so heavy that we could smell it from the parking lot. In comes our tour guide to trouble shoot. We wanted to drive to Christchurch and stay there for the night, but that was not going to happen. He went to the front desk and got us another room. We waited for a while while they were getting that room clean. When we finally got the room the smell from the air freshener was so heavy we opened all the windows in the place and left them open in the 40 degree weather all night. Horrible night. Thank goodness we were only there one night.

Room Tip: Get the heck out of that place and stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Kia ora Tina A,

This is not the impression we had hoped to leave with you, so we sincerely apologise for a number of aspects during your stay. We also appreciate you using this forum to let us know.

We are unfortunately quite spread out, so our linen needs to be dropped out the the respective blocks for use. We do come around regularly to collect the dirty linen, and drop fresh linen as required. I wish it was easier to keep this from guest view, but unfortunately it's a little tricky to do that.

We do use an air freshener in all our rooms as part of our brand standard upon arrival, but perhaps we could be a more subtle in its use. I didn't realise we were being so heavy-handed, so thank you for bringing this to my attention.

You will pleased to hear that we have been working our way through all guest rooms Spring Cleaning, and repainting as is required. We do this every year, as we are a large volume hotel with a large volume of room nights. All beds have also now been replaced, so I am confident your next guest experience with us will be a vastly different one.

Best wishes,

Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

This was one the best places I have stayed in New Zealand. Excellent views of the lake from the rooms, and clean tidy rooms. Apart from the price, this was a great resort. The resort is also located right in the middle of Tekapo, so almost everything you could want to do in Tekapo is only a short walk away. There is also a great restaurant in the main reception at Peppers which I would highly recommend if you want a high quality meal that is only a minutes' walk away.

• Stayed December 2013
Kia ora Bobby J,

Thanks so much for a great review!
We are thrilled that you discovered so many positive aspects about our resort, and I am particularly pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meal so much!

We look forward to seeing you again.

With thanks.

Port Vila, Vanuatu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Hi

we went for a wedding and the food was great .. but there is something really really wrong with the houskeeping department...

1. we arrived at 530pm and our room was not ready..
2. the first morning the house keeper arrived and she bascially suggested that she just gives me the towels .. and threw me the towels
3. on our last day houskeeping turned up at 530pm to service the room (we sent them away)

for 2 days the rubbish which was there when we arrived was still there

through the entire stay the 'laundry' bags were all outside and they seemed to stay there..there was even a quilt on the ground...(see pics attached) these photos were taken at 5pm and basically the place looked like this the whole time

Good points .. rooms are quite nice.. food very good .. but the housekeeping was a big let down

We have stayed in Peppers all over Australia and at 265 a night having your room ready and serviced daily is expected ..

Only amazing point was seeing awesome friends and celebrating a fabulous couples marriage

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Kia ora rominamulham,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
We regret our shortcomings in housekeeping service during your stay, and the inconvenience this caused. We are pleased to hear that you found the rooms and food to your liking.

Many thanks,