“What a great cottage” 5 of 5 stars

12 Sealy Street | PO Box 133, Lake Tekapo 7945, New Zealand   |
Melbourne, Australia
“What a great cottage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the O Neill cottage and i have to say it was beautiful. It had wonderful decor in and the cutlery and cooking utensils etc were great quality makes such a difference when cooking and eating. The place was quiet with your own private drive and a veranda to sit on and enjoy the sun set. Not quite a lake view but close and just 2 mins out of town by car. Really enjoyed the cottage and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

On arrival at the property at around 8:30pm with an internet booking my husband and I were told that they have double-booked and there was no cottage available. We were then offered a 3-bedroom holiday rental house a few minutes' drive away into town with no view of the Lake at all. The host then had the temerity to tell us that we won't be charged extra for having the whole house and the outdoor spa to ourselves. We paid AUD$125 (NZ$160) for the night even though we only used one room and had no interest in the spa! We had to chase a number of very large flies out of the house before settling in for the night and there was no soap or body wash provided either.
Maybe this will serve as a warning to other travelers to check and confirm your internet booking to avoid inconvenience and disappointment.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed there for one night on our way to Millbroke Resort at Arrowtown. We checked in quite late, 6ish, and the owner was superb friendly. We got checked in to the honeymoon suite and it was awesome. Sky was clear and we saw the Milky Way when we looked up - it's quite amazing when you can simply look up and see the Milky Way. We made our own dinner there and everything is okay.

Location is perfect and shephard chapel is just 100 meters away!!!

I'm still on my way to get used to the price here in New Zealand, we paid NZD170 for one night and I felt like it's a bit over priced, comparing to all my cottage stay in Europe. I'm not sure if Apr is a prime season, and if that's the case, the price is okay.

Room Tip: We had the honeymoon suite and it was very nice!!!
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

we stayed in rowan cottage as part of an 8 day trip of the South Island with our 2yo toddler.

from the reviews, I hadn't expected too much of the property, however I have to admit that I was fairly disappointed when I first arrived especially considering I was paying $5nzd less for this place than the lovey clearbrook motel (Wanaka) where we'd stayed the night before.

however, given a little time I began to warm to the place and was relatively comfortable by the evening of our first day.

the great things are -
- the free Internet
- amazing shower
- good location about 5 minutes from the town centre & close to the church (stunning)
- travel cot (though I had to fold up a duvet to make it more comfortable for him to sleep)
- comfy bed

not so great -
- the sometimes very loud road noise coming in through the (closed) bedroom windows
- the second bedroom is right next to the living space and only has a curtain so must be quiet
- the lack of explanation we were given for turning on heating - it was ABSOLUTELY FREEZING the second night & when I told the lady at reception, she said why didn't you turn the heating on? To which I explained that we were never shown on arrival. when she asked why I didn't come & ask, I explained that it was 2am!

overall it was fine but I wish I hadn't paid as much when I think of where else we stayed for similar £.

that said, never my husband nor I were particularly taken with the town so that may not have helped! the lake was stunning b we were bored out of our trees! :-/

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed in Tui Cottage for two nights, had everything we needed for our stopover visit. The host was lovely, giving us good advice on where to eat in town. The heat pump worked a treat on the frosty mornings and the bed, while the duvet cover was a little naf, was very comfortable. Surroundings were lovely and we even made friends with a local cat on the deck. Wireless internet was fantastic, esp with the spotty coverage we sometimes get in smaller nz towns.

christchurch
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We are staying in Tui Cottage which is a studio cottage with a small kitchenette and bathroom. Shower is great. Good tv reception for hubby to watch the V8's. Nice view of mountains from the deck. Very quiet. Arrived in the evening and it wasnt a problem as owners live onsite. Very friendly. We didnt bring doggie this time but dogs are welcome and there is plenty of space for them outside and rabbits to run after. Bring tea, coffee and sugar if you want a hot beverage as it is not provided in studio but we did get a small bottle of milk on checkin. I dont intend to cook while on my mini-break but there is a microwave, jug and toaster if you want to make your own breakfast. According to the visitors book folk have been staying here since 2007 so there is a bit of wear and tear but if you want Peppers Resort then go stay there and pay their prices. This is a good value option especially for dog owners. Will definitely return in winter so hubby can go skiing.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We chose Rowan Cottage at Lake Tekapo, and although not modern and a little run down, the double and single beds provided were both comfortable, the most important thing! Comfy Lounge and seats, also good flat screen tv, free wireless internet and cooking facilities, though no salt and pepper or potato peeler provided, but after mentioning these things, Stephen only too happy to provide. You can walk to the church and lake from here and also into town if you wished. Stephen made some phone calls for me free of charge, very kindly. Definitely not an upmarket 5 star accommodatin, but If in Lake Tekapo again, would choose this accommodation for the privacy and comfort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lake Tekapo Cottages? Share your experiences!