“Super location, average amenities” 3 of 5 stars

You added LakeFront Backpackers Lodge to your Saves list
LakeFront Backpackers Lodge
Lakeside Drive, Lake Tekapo, New Zealand   |
Auckland, New Zealand
“Super location, average amenities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Right by the lake, as advertised, great views on a clear day. Being mid season, my shared room remained solely occupied. Don't expect to be able to do anything in it though. Power points were minimal, good job I was there on my own. No towels or Wifi, unless you fork out even more than the $30 for a quad share room. The kitchen was ok, both fridges were out of order, ask for ice at reception was the helpful comment . The TV did not work, so all in all the advertised amenities were well short. Value 1 out of 5, great location though.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Andrea C, General Manager at LakeFront Backpackers Lodge, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Hi Kevin from Auckland
Thank you for your comments.
Yes, you have to pay for your Wi-Fi but the coverage is great and 24 hrs unlimited is a pretty good deal. We only provide towels in our private rooms but they are available for hire from reception.
We were having issues with the fridges popping the RCD hence the offer of ice to keep your food chilled but we have since fixed that however we have purchased a brand spanking new double door commercial fridge which arrives next week, just to be on the safe side.
Thanks again for your comments.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Queenstown, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Looking for a quick overnight stop before heading onward to Queenstown- I called this place up. Normally I am one to check reviews of places before booking but I had no time so just found a place on google on my phone and called to book.

When I arrived I realised straight away - I had failed :-(

Walking through the main entrance brings into the main kitchen dining living area... I'm not sure if the place was fully booked or not but it was jam packed! There was no seats to be had at any of the dining tables... the kitchen was jammed with people trying to cook and there was about 20 odd people trying to watch a movie above the noise of everyone else.. this was 7pm (clearly eveyones dinner time). Later on I found out this is also a 'Kiwi Experience' Stop!

I made my way to the room 4 bed share.. I opened the door - manager calls it 'cosy' but jeez.. think two sets of bunks about 1 meter apart - which is the space to enter and exit the room and any excess bag storage which exceeds the small storage at the end of the room. (enough to have one case/pack each but not much else). I also found it strange that the duvets had no covers ? Just a sheet for underneath.

I ended up grabbing a takeaway in town because I didn't want to fight for a place in the small kitchen. Next challenge was to find a seat to eat! Sleep was very disturbed by banging doors down the hallway through the night.
I woke early to grab a quick breakfast before everyone else woke. The kitchen was pretty gross, unwashed plates, cups/mugs everywhere. Sinkholes chocked full of food, and one hungry cat to follow my every move round the kitchen. I know this is the clients rather than the employees but having read other reviews about the kitchen being closed 11-2.30pm. Maybe they could use the time better by clearing in the evening - like most other places that i have stayed. Even if it was a quick clear round.

Finishing on a positive the place was warm, toasty warm :-)

Unfortunately next time I will go elsewhere.

Room Tip: maybe a private room?
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Hi there
Thank you for your honest review and I'm sorry you found the lodge not to your liking.
Yes it does get busy in the lodge but that is what backpackers are like, its a chance to meet and greet and have a chat as so many travel by themselves. It would be great though if they staggered their mealtimes but unfortunately they all seem to gravitate to the kitchen at the same time :-). We do believe we have adequate seating etc to accommodate everyone. I know some people spread out but if asked to move over they are very accommodating.
We are a kiwi experience stop over but these guys are just backpackers like everyone else and if we didn't have them we would have other backpackers doing the same thing, chilling out and doing their thing.
Our duvets are washed on a regular basis and like other backpackers we give you a fitted sheet on the bottom and a top sheet to go under the duvet.
You are correct that we close the kitchen for cleaning from 11 - 12pm but we also have staff members that go up between 7 - 7.30am to give the kitchen a clean before everyone gets up. You must have been there before the cleaners with your early start so I'm sorry you have to face the kitchen. I know it gets bad at times but we also do extra wipe downs when necessary. You would have seen we have a sign up asking people to clean up as they go. I am still trying to figured out how to make this happen.
Thank you again for reviewing us. Things are quieting down now being winter so if you are passing this way again in the near future, consider staying again as I'm sure you will find it a lot more quiet and the fire is warm and welcoming.

Kota Bharu, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

the location is perfect, just walk out of the hostel and you will be able to see a blue water lake..My wife and i got ourselves a 2 person room. Nothing much to complain when you can have a pretty nice view of the lake just within stone throw distance. We stayed there for just 1 night.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi kschan10 from Malaysia.
Thank you for taking the time to review Lakefront Lodge.
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and it appreciated the views on offer. Its winter here now and the temperature has certainly dropped since you were here. But the fire is cranked up and its keeping the chills away.

Thanks again

Helston, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We were actually really excited to stay here, it looked so lovely.. But slowly got disappointed by the way it was run. Our room was really nice, and the location is beautiful! But the kitchen was soo busy all the time! Way too small for everyone. The wifi is the most expensive we have paid so far in newzealand.. 7$ for 24hrs instead of 4 in most places. And the worst thing was that they kick you out of ALL facilities at 10am.. We didn't have a bus till 1 and like all hostels we expected to chill in the sitting area, but the receptionist was very rude and just told us everyone does this.. When in fact no one does! Glad it wasn't raining, they just chuck you outside and don't care. And so we also didn't get to use the rest of our wifi! Very frustrating..

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Andrea C, General Manager at LakeFront Backpackers Lodge, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hi Chelsea T from England
Thank you for you comments on our lodge and I'm sorry you found something's not to your liking.
We do have a 10am check out from the facility as we have a very small window of time to have the lodge ready for the next lot of buses that start arriving from 11.30 on. We do however offer free luggage storage as well as a free lift to town so this does give you the freedom to wander around in the morning and enjoy more of Lake Tekapo when you leave the lodge at 10am. We also have the holiday park facilities and TV room that can be used in the event of rain or if you just want to hang around a bit longer and your Wifi can be used up here as well. This alternative should have been offered to you and I am sorry if it wasn't.

Thanks again for taking the time to review us and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in NZ.
tippe133
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here when I was with the kiwi experience. The hostel was nice and clean and a great location for the lake which is especially nice at night. It is only a short walk into town. The rooms were very small though.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Andrea C, General Manager at LakeFront Backpackers Lodge, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Hi Kiwi Exp traveller.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Lakefront Lodge. You don't get a lot of time to enjoy what Tekapo has to offer unless you stay a second night but the location gives you the best of everything with only a short walk to town.
Ye,s the 4 beds dorms are cosy (I call it) but I think the big living, dining and BBQ area makes up for it.

Thanks again for reviewing us and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip in NZ and with Kiwi Experience.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

The park location is what it's all about. Besides lake Tekapo. If you are waiting for a good photograph moment, sunrise or sunset, overnight there is great. The price $20 per person is kind of fine. We came in with camper van and needed the power socket to recharge the equipment we had, batteries, laptop etc.. I didn't try the internet connection but the wifi signal was kind of weak and almost dead so didn't want to bother and disappointed myself paying for something that might not work.

Lovely location, great surrounding, the bathroom is at another building besides the kitchen. Hot shower cost $2 for 10 minutes, cold shower is free, bear in mind that it's freezing cold here. Apart from that, I guess that's it. stayed for one night.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Andrea C, General Manager at LakeFront Backpackers Lodge, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Hi there
Thank you for taking the time to review us.
There are certainly plenty of photography opportunities here. Your feedback on the Wi-Fi is valid. At times we do have a bit of a coverage issue but we are currently working with our suppliers and they are doing some serious upgrades as they are aware we need a fast reliable Wi-Fi. So in couple of weeks we should be all sweet.

Thanks again
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Please do yourself a favour and dont book here.
As we were staying over the Christmas period we had made our hostel booking weeks in advance. On arrival at the hostel we paid in full for the four nights we had booked. On day three we left the hostel at 5pm for about half an hour to walk into town and back. When I returned to our room I was confused to see other guests bags on our beds, when I looked around the room I realised with a panic, that none of our stuff was anywhere to be seen in the room - even my pyjamas that had been tucked under my duvet were missing. In confusion we hurried to reception (in a separate building to the hostel). We were greeted by a rude member of staff who meet our demands to know what had happened to our belongings with the refusal to deal with us until he had finished what he was doing on his computer. Another receptionist eventually told us that as we had only booked and paid for three nights, our possessions had been removed and locked in the managers car! Whilst new guests had been moved into our room.
We then insisted we had paid for four nights and asked to speak to the manager who had our luggage locked away.
When the manager finally appeared we were met with an unbelievably rude encounter. She point blank refused to listen to us, and hardly even rained to look at us - I had never been so rudly treated by someone who is supposed to be in charge. The manager ended the conversation by walking back into her office whilst I was still speaking, insisting we deal only with the girl on reception. At this point thankfully we found the receipt for our four nights. In light of our proof the receptionist checked the computer, and in a matter of seconds brought up our booking for FOUR nights - this had obviously not even been checked before hauling our luggage out. Then a male manager came out to speak to us, and instead of apologising launched into a ridiculous speech about how there had been a computer glich, and he or the hostel was in no way responsible. But that he would check us into another room. He even sugested we were "lucky they had not lost our booking entirely" I wished to take the complaint further, as clearly we were going around in circles, and demanded the owners contact details to make a formal complaint. His reply was "Auckland".
Then worst thing was when he unloaded our things from his car he tried to give us a third bag along with our own, he had also put all our loose items in a bin bag, which not contained other possessions that didn't belong to us, including a tablet and phone!!! These belonged to our roommate, who it turned out reception had not realised had also been staying in our room, but had set off on a long walk a couple of hours earlier.

As well as this the hostel itself was far from aceptable:
- Two days out of four there was no hot water for a shower.
- Dorm doors are ridiculously loud doors, so expect to be woken up multiple times throughout the night by them banging loudly.
- Not nearly enough space in the kitchen or seating around a table when the hostel is full (was fully booked all four nights we stayed there) including one night with two large tour groups taking over the kitchen during meal times. Also guests staying at the campsite could use the kitchen and living facilities, making it even more crowded.
- Very small rooms with no space for storage - no lockers or shelves.
- Kitchen is closed for cleaning 11.30am till 2pm every day, even on Xmas day.
- Both toasters were broken.
- Had to pay for internet access, which is fair enough but the signal was so poor and kept disconnecting it was impossible to book our next accommodation.

Of course it goes without saying I would never stay here again, please think twice before you do!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
First up, to all our existing guests and those who are looking at staying with us. I apologise for not having responded to this bad review sooner and I hope this hasn't put you off coming to our beautiful part of the world.
There are always two sides to a story and yes we did have to move them into another room but that was because the extra night was made at a later date and unfortunately our booking system recognises every booking as a new identity. Unfortunately on arrival we did fail to mention that on their last night they had to move to another room for the last night as their room was already booked.
However after much discussion and tooing and froing with the guests who were still obviously annoyed with us for moving their gear they appeared to be satisfied with the outcome after they were well compensated for the inconvenience. It was mentioned that a review would be written which is fair enough. But the list of issues at the bottom were never discussed and the first we knew about them. We have signs up saying "if you have any problems or something needs fixing tell us now not in the morning as then it is too late". We have an awesome maintenance man, and great staff so while we may not always get it right we are quick to fix whatever we can and put things right as soon as possible.

Andrea

Been to LakeFront Backpackers Lodge? Share your experiences!