As a family of 5 touring NZ in a motorhome for a month we got to sample many a caravan sites throughout NZ. Of all the places we stayed at whilst touring NZ, this had to be the pick of them for being the worst place to stay at. Granted the view was spectacular but so are a lot of other places. To summarise this place was to most expensive of all the sites we stayed in all over NZ. If I was going to visit for the view or the Tekapo Springs I would stay either side of this place and make a day trip from where your staying. There are some nice places either side of this place which makes a day trip worth while eg Twizel or Geraldine (The Kiwi Park there was awesome and was where we moved onto instead of staying another night - Oh while in Geraldine make sure you visit Barkers for their jams and preserves). Ok apart from being the most expensive of all the sites we stayed at it was the worst as far as amenities were concerned. Having read some of the previous reviews it is apparent that they are not being listened to as a means of continuous improvement. The dodgy amenities spoken about in previuos feedback and due for demolition in winter are still there and are being used - we stayed in winter time and they were open for use. The showers are very unsavoury and yes you still have to pay for them - yes it is a ten minute shower but it takes a few minutes for the hot water to come through in winter time - I hear what has been said about the freeloaders - but give your paying customers a token to solve the problem. The ladies room sinks are akin to something out of a third world country where they drain into a central and open channel. All the amenities were very mouldy, had dead insects stuck to the paint and most of the paint was peeling off. The TV room was also very 3rd world. Instead of having the man hole fixed it was sorted by using a cushion from the lounge seat. The kitchen stank badly and had the following issues - electrical points hanging out of walls and ceilings, some only held on by tape, toasters that had overheated and melted in on themselves and to top it all off a nice friendly population of rodents that scurried across the benches, darted in between the hot plates and scampered across the floor in search of a lost morsel of food on a cold winters night. We have video and a heap of other photos to validate this this if you wish to contact me I can send it on - email@example.com
The outdoor BBQs while having a nice view we nothing more then some broken down gas BBQ's propped up in a brick alcove.
I noticed a sign that said if you had an issues that needed resolving then contact the manager - I am not sure what would have been done about this late at night. There are heaps of reviews on here about the same thing and it seem the managers are just relying on the captured market of being the only place in town to stop at.
Such a shame - this place could be something to be proud about.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lake Tekapo Motels & Holiday Park is set amongst mature trees on the picturesque shores of Lake Tekapo. Our grounds offer endless views across the turquoise lake to the surrounding mountains. If you’re looking for Lake Tekapo accommodation, our Holiday park is the perfect place for a family getaway or a nights stop over, with a bed to suit everyone’s budget.Set in the scenic Mackenzie basin, our lakeside holiday park accommodation options include camping and campervan sites, cabins, self-contained motel units and a backpacker lodge, all with clean and comfortable facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Lake Tekapo Motels & Holiday Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lake Tekapo Motels And Holiday Park
- Lake Tekapo Motels & Holiday Park Hotel Lake Tekapo