We love lake Tekapo and are always wowed by the beautiful scenery. We hadn't stayed overnight before so during our south island road trip in a motorhome we decided to have an overnight stay and felt limited in choices so stayed in this park. Worse decision we've made on our trip. Cost $40 for a powered site, then we were told it was $2 for a shower. The sites weren't allocated so we picked a spot overlooking the lake but then needed to go out so had to put out deck chairs in the hope we'd still have the site when we got back. Old facilities. Poor layout. Women's bathrooms were the furthest away and they were absolutely freezing. There was a heater on but a big window open next to it. Also not very clean and I never saw anyone checking the facilities or any one who looked like they worked there.
Needed to do one load of washing, not a lot but traveling with a baby means you need clean, dry clothes. As some of the clothes were woolen singlets etc we had to do a cold wash, yet still had to pay $4. We also had to pay $4 for the dryer. I went to pick it up later and noticed it was still very wet but since it was cold I put it on again. We had taken out the woolen items so it wasn't a huge load. Picked it up later and it was still wet! I took it back to the campervan and told my husband how crap the facilities were that it cost $8 for the dryer and our clothes were still damp. That's when I found out he had also checked the clothes and paid another $4! Thought it was ridiculous and maybe there was something wrong with the dryer so in the freezing cold walked the long distance of over 100m to the reception but they were closed at 8.30pm and it was just before 9pm. No other choice but to take out the small items and put it in the dryer yet again. This time I went to the bathroom as well so checked on it again soon after and it had already stopped. Had to come to the conclusion that it was $4 for 10mins drying!! There was no sign stating this, if there had been we wouldn't have bothered and just held out to our next stop.
Tekapo is a gorgeous place but stay somewhere else. If you're in a campervan maybe lake Alexandrina? We saw it the next day. Otherwise if you don't mind a 30min drive stay in the top 10 at Fairlie. Same site fee but free showers, free BBQ, clean modern kitchen with free use of equipment, free washing, dryer is only $2 for 40mins, plus you get free wifi and the hosts are lovely.
This holiday park marred our entire Tekapo experience. The whole site needs a makeover! Do not recommend staying here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lake Tekapo Motels & Holiday Park is set amongst mature trees on the picturesque shores of Lake Tekapo. Our grounds offer endless views across the turquoise lake to the surrounding mountains. If you’re looking for Lake Tekapo accommodation, our Holiday park is the perfect place for a family getaway or a nights stop over, with a bed to suit everyone’s budget.Set in the scenic Mackenzie basin, our lakeside holiday park accommodation options include camping and campervan sites, cabins, self-contained motel units and a backpacker lodge, all with clean and comfortable facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Lake Tekapo Motels & Holiday Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lake Tekapo Motels & Holiday Park Hotel Lake Tekapo
- Lake Tekapo Motels And Holiday Park