“Very impressed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Waverley International Hotel

You added The Waverley International Hotel to your Saves list
The Waverley International Hotel
4.0 of 5 Motel   |   301 Springvale Road, Glen Waverley, Monash, Victoria 3150, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Glen Waverley
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Very impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at this place and found the whole experience very very good. From the check in to departure we were very impressed. The rooms were very clean and tidy and the cafes up the road were outstanding with their coffees. Would not hesitate to stay at this place again if the occasion arises.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Sibu, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Very clean and quiet, quality sleep assured. Well rested after a long flight to Melbourne. If free wifi provided, that would be perfect!

I stayed in Room 220, the nut at the doorlock seems missing.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

Agree with prior reviewers - this place is a genuine Motel - ie. all rooms face the carpark.
I stayed here as my first choice in the area - Quest Glen Waverley - was not available.

The carpark is an open air carpark - just what you need during a Melbourne Winter. At checkin my license was taken and details entered into a computer - My understanding of the privacy act is limited but pretty sure that if you do this, you need to have your privacy policy clearly displayed - didn't see that anywhere - but I was too tired to query it.

The first room I was given stunk of cigarette smoke. When i returned to reception to advise them of this, they asked "so, do you want another room?" - ah, yes, the Casino hotels are really the only locations in Australia that still have smoking rooms!

Only 1 room key was provided, with it being one of those keys that needs to remain in place to operate all electricity - including the heater. This meant that if you needed to step out, yoru room would be freezing when you returned.

BAthroom was clean, but pipe noise was amazingly loud. Limited analog TV channels.

Hot food is available from reception, but food options in Glenwaverley are so close not sure why you'd bother with room service.

Overall, I'd suggest paying not much more and staying at the brand new Quest up the road, or for the same price stay at the Ibis across the road.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

I agree with previous reviews. This is a motel, NOT an International Hotel.
Starting with the good stuff. The rooms are very clean, reasonably appointed and modern. Beds are good and bedding good quality. Bathrooms are spotless.
No Foxtel. No info in the compendium. No pool. Where do they get "International Hotel"?

Now down the ridiculous check-in system:
1. Present credit card.
They will HOLD $150 for a $119 room. This amount will not be released by the bank for 3-5 days (if you were to pay by method other than that card). Imagine if you were staying in different motels every night for a few weeks, which I do. If all motels did this I would have large amounts of money HELD and unavailable. I wanted to pay by a different card in the morning and I was told about the Hold for the funds. Not good.

2. Present Drivers Licence. This will be photocopied. For what reason I do not know.

3. I said I wanted to check out early and pay NOW. I was told I can do that BUT I will have to leave a $50 cash deposit for the key. That means there is no point to paying up front.

This is an outrageous distrustful poor way of treating guests. I was annoyed and under normal circumstances I would go elsewhere just for the principal. More and more motels are doing these things and it is time to take a stand by going elsewhere.

I informed the morning clerk or my annoyance. She was friendly, courteous and perhaps embarrassed about the requirements, but what can she do. I asked her to pass my dissatisfaction to the manager and asked them to read this review. So the manager will be aware of the Trip Advisor reviews that all seem the same complaints. Let;s see she (manager) replies to this. A good manager will respond and they will need to make changes to this stupid policy.

So, this is a great motel. Clean modern and well appointed. Totally spoilt by stupid customer service. The poor desk clerk's must cop an ear bashing daily.

I need to go back the that area soon. I will try the Novatel or Ibis. If they do the same I shall go elsewhere. I have vowed never to hand my licence to a motel again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

Quality hotel,with cinema /restaurant complex next door, ....need to have a good reason to stay in this migrant suburb

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

I had book 3 days in advance for an overnight stay in the weekedn at Waverley International hotel through Wotif, which is perhaps more a nice motel.
We checked in late before midnight, as we had spent the evening in the city of Melbourne with our friends. While checking in , I was told that they the only suite available is the disabled executive suite and it is not much different from a normal executive suite , the only difference will be having a hand shower. I was unhappy with this and she looked again and said she actually has got one executive suite leff, then she told me that will take a $50 for a key deposit and as I did not have cash on me, the receptionist took a print of the credit card( which is perhaps a more usual practice in many hotels). However the receptionist also wanted to take a copy of my drivers licence and retain it, just because they do this as a routine. I told her that I will be happy only to show her my ID/drivers licence though I will not allow her to take a copy of it . She insisted that she will return the copy at checkout , though I rejected this as well( this was very stupid suggestion, as you can simply take a copy of the copy and retain the second copy !!!) I asked her why she would need that, as she has got my address, she can double check it with the id , she has got the credit card detail and I have already paid by the wotif ? Also I told her that this is a very unusual routine to take a copy of the drivers licence.. She did not have much to add . It too k her half an hour to check us in , at midnight which was totally unpleasont and disturbing for us, big annoyance and meaningless
The room was a normal room, clean and good size , on the frist floor , so you have to carry your luggage to upstairs.
I found the hotel very average overall.as I would not like to spend half an hour to check in.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

Don't be confused by it's name, The Waverley International Hotel is a motel. There is ample parking, all off the road.

"Hotel" is in Glen Waverley, one of Melbourne's nicer suburbs. There's a train station within walking distance that'll take you to the city. If you plan to see local only, there's a small shopping centre, cinemas, and several places to eat.

We stayed one night in room with spa, booked through [LastMinute.com.au]. Spa turned out to be for one person only (so a little deceiving). Rooms and bathroom were clean. Walls were paper thin. "Hotel" requires credit card guarantee/fully refunded deposit upon arrival to cover incidentals, but I've found this standard for a lot of Melbourne hotels/motels. Staff were very courteous.

Would stay again for the right price.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Waverley International Hotel? Share your experiences!