“an absolute dining experience” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
burleigh heads
“an absolute dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

The food and service were perfect, plenty of time to enjoy the wine between courses. Each meal was beautifully presented as well as having an amazing taste sensation of many different flavours. The atmosphere was restful, peaceful and at times we felt like we were the only two people in the restaurant such was the layout and minimum noise level.

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Gold Coast
“Horrible service, a disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I have been to "Songbirds" at Mt Tamborine 4 times previously. They generally have a very tempting delicious menu. It was recently my 30th birthday and my husband decided to take me to songbirds for a long lunch. He had called months in advance to ask for the service times for lunch, he was told they seat guests till 3pm. We arrived at song birds at 1:40, my husband had made a booking for 1pm he had made 3 months in advance (he is so organised :). when we arrived there was no one in the reception area so we walked through to the restaurant. A mature lady with cropped blonde hair approached us, asking if we had a reservation, she was very abrupt with no greeting at all. Before my husband could answer she abruptly started giving us a lecture on how we must book (more than half the restaurant was empty) then she made a speech about how she thinks the kitchen in closed, very rude which made us feel very uncomfortable and unwanted. She was talking down to us like children it was embarrassing. Basically she could not be bothered, she wanted no more customers and it was only 1:40! I was so disappointed, I already felt like leaving. She seated us (between 2 tables...they were so close I can reach across and grab their fork) and we asked to move one table over, she flat out refused and basically made up some story about how the general manager is extremely strict on recycling a table in service, but still would not let us move to any other tables. she was being so rude I started to get upset and just wanted to leave. What happen to trying to please the customer? Personally I do not enjoy spending $250 on lunch with an obnoxious waitress and people sitting so close they are in my lap, I would rather have a sandwich in the park. The menu was not as good as usual, nothing to tempting at all. I used to really look forward to going to this restaurant it was one of my favourites, but considering how we were treated I will never go back. I used to recommend others to Songbirds on a regular basis; I will not be doing that in the future. A smile and friendly gesture dos not cost restaurants anything; I think they have forgotten how important that is for their business.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“One of the best meals for years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Songbirds exceeded our expectations. The drive there starts to relax you, upon entry surrounded by the rainforest the natural setting is serene. We had the degustation menu it was the best food we've had in QLD or NSW for years and we have eaten at some of the top rated restaurants. Sunday for a long lunch listening to the birds is my recommendation then dont drive home stay overnight in the Villas.

• Visited June 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Buderim, Australia
“Absolutely dreadful service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Although this restaurant is in a beautiful setting and food is fairly good - the service is appalling.. We waited 1 hour, 10 minutes for our entrees to arrive and a further 1 hour for our mains. It is an expensive restaurant with an overpriced winelist. For the sort of prices they charge, there should be more professionalism in the kitchen/more kitchen staff. The waiting staff were also just not good enough. It was a busy lunchtime and every table seemed to have to wait the same length of time as we did.

• Visited June 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Saint Saturnin les Avignon, France
“Such a disappointment! We wont be back!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

It should be noted that this is the first ever review I have written because I feel need to let fellow diners know how bad it is. We live on the Gold Coast and have been to Songbirds several times but not for about 2 years. So we decided to take our family of 8 there for Mothers Day lunch. When booking we had to pay a $50 per head deposit which we thought was strange. On arrival we discovered it was a set menu of $98.00 per head for 3 courses. Still not deterred, but unfortunately it just got worse from there. At the restaurants insistence our booking was for 2pm so it was only half full and most people were eating or had eaten. They had plenty of staff but no one came near us for a drink order or even water for 15 minutes. 3 choices on the set menu with no beef and no vegetarian. My entree of prawn and salmon was good but the venison was like rubber. The mains were so bad! Duck was cold and chewy. Our vegetarian daughter in law was given vegetable sides from the other meals to make up her $50 main! Bread came after the entrees, plates were not removed for at least 15minutes, we had to ask for our glasses to be topped up etc etc. Wait staff were hopeless, couldnt even explain the meals when asked.
They have the most beautiful setting but the food and service was appalling. We will not go back ever. Such a shame.

• Visited May 2011