“to cold to stay” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Club Cala de Palmas

Save Saved
You added Club Cala de Palmas to your Saves list
Club Cala de Palmas
2.5 of 5 Villa   |   50 Club Cala Drive | Palmas del Mar, Humacao 00791, Puerto Rico   |
Philadelphia
“to cold to stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2007

Had a poolside unit. The Air conditioner would never shut off Had to put towels over the vent to stay confortable. Nobody could fix the thermostat. King size bed no fitted sheet used to full sheets. No DVD old fashion VCR combo. Needs work. Would stay here but bring my own sheets and tools to fix thermostat. Nice big units but need to correct problems. I stayed during 52 week christmass.

Stayed December 2006

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
branford, Ct.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2006

We just returned from Club Cala after spending the week of Dec. 16-23 there. We had been there last year as well and although we weren't as put out as some people were last year we were still very disappointed in what had happened to the property we've owned timeshare at for 26 years. However, they have been undergoing a vast refurbishment program there and we were much more satisfied with the entire property this time around. We had a 2 BR unit on Harborside and all of the furnishings in the unit had been replaced with new more updated look. Our applianced kitchen was new and the only area that was still outdated but very clean and freshly painted were the bathrooms which we understand will be updated in the coming year.

The staff couldn't have been nicer and more helpful to our needs. We did have some minor maintenance issues but someone was on the spot within 5 minutes of the call to the front desk. The grounds were very clean and the landscaping was as nice as we used to remember from years past. You still need to take the shuttle to the beach but we never waited longer than a few minutes to either be picked up to go there or for a van to show up to return us back to the villas when we designated a time.

Mr. Vernon Purcell, whom we had communicated with several times over the years and who is in charge of this facility met with us personally on this trip and we were very impressed with his sincerity about continuing to improve this resort and bring it back to what it used to be, a 4 star facility. We look forward to returning there again and would highly recommend it to anyone looking to visit Puerto Rico without staying in San Juan.

• Liked — Location to everything
  • Disliked — Still needs a little updating
  • Tips/Secrets — none
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2006

Ok, I had read all the reviews and knew what I was in for. The Good: The staff is incredible! Friendly and can't do enough for you. Yes, there have been upgrades made; new furniture, mattresses, draperies etc. The Bad: The bathroom is something out of the dark ages. The Ugly: The bathroom is something out of the dark ages. Seriously though, when upgrades were made they should have included the bathroom. The place is just old and when you turn on the a/c you get that musty dirty vent smell. My place needed cleaning when I arrived as it had not been done properly and the staff couldn't have handled it better. Within an hour someone was there to spruce up the place and it looked much better than when we arrived. There were always ants in the kitchen which we just learned to live with. (I've travelled extensively and most things don't bother or surprise me) You are far from the beach..we drove every day and were fortunate enough to have friends who live elsewhere in Palmas and we were able to park there so we never used the shuttle bus. I had been in constant contact with management before my trip and they boasted about all of the improvements. I guess that is why I was so disappointed. In the end, we were there for friendship and sunshine and that's what we got. Oh, the one time I went to use the pool it was closed as a little one had pooped in it....at least they closed it :) I actually would stay there again as a "base" for day trips or just to flop at the beach all day. Oh yeah, the golf cart rental was more than our car!!

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cleveland,Oh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2006

We have a 25 year history with Club Cala. First through my father-in-law who had 15 yrs of annual visits of many in which my husband-to-be accompanied him. They loved every minute of the beach and surrounding activities. So much so, 10 yrs ago, as a newly married couple, my husband and I bought a week following my father-in-law's time, allowing us the option of a 2 week stay each year. We both chose Harbor side and enjoyed the spectacular view and peace this environment provides. Our time was spent on the beach with food, drink and friends. We enjoyed the beach bar and lounge chairs provided! In the evening, we would go to the plaza where we could dine outside, buy some of my husband's favorite cuban cigars, go to one of the many clubs to shoot pool, listen to music or even dance till the wee hours. We'd go to the marina for fresh fish and even went on a sailing trip for two.

THEN... a storm came. A bad one which damaged the island and our lovely resort. Trees were down and debris was everywhere. We can not forget what nature did to bring on the challenges we faced in the future. The following year when we returned, things had definitely changed, it's true. No longer could we walk to the beach and have all provisions provided. Our beach bar was gone and the ocean was still washing in what the storm had thrown away (palms, algae and the like). And although management provided golf carts, there didn't seem to be enough for all guest needs. Our condo began to look tired, not as fresh and welcoming of yesteryears. The plaza and supermarket were still open, but obviously struggling as many clubs, the cigar shop, as well as the Casino were now gone. But the sun was still shining brightly, the stars so very bright each night and the staff struggling with the day to day adjustments were still smiling and trying to make things right for all; which kept us in hope of better days.

Well, I got a bit tired of hope and short on patience about 3yrs. ago when after going elsewhere for the previous year, I again returned to Club Cala only to see, new management and little progress. I understood later, that this was the beginning of a transition but during that stay, I told my husband we should consider other options. My father-in-law had sold his time the previous year and now goes elsewhere. ( The beach access was a burden to a 68yr. old man who did not wish to transport beverage and food each day and could not possibly do this without a golf cart.) Golf cart access was still a problem, but the dirty room and overall poor condition of bath and furnishings were the final straw! I couldn't relax, couldn't get comfortable, couldn't get an understanding from the staff as to the importance of these issues and in turn, I was ready to leave and not return.

My husband convinced me to give it more time. He had such wonderful memories of past visits and in truth is more patient than myself. I am happy to say, he was right. This past April, we went again and our accomodations were much better. The renovations were going on at the time and our phone line was down but the rooms were bright, clean and the staff was more than willing without hesitation, to fill any request which would make our stay more enjoyable. The pool was inviting, floats and toys were available, the book exchange in force, golf carts were more readily available and new lounge chairs were available in abundance on the beach. The beach bar is back, the hotel bar is open and has evening happy hour and even a small casino, and most importantly, the beach itself has been renewed to calm waters, healthy palm trees and beautiful sand. All due to Time, Nature and some of man's assistance.

Now, I'm looking forward to returning next April and enjoying the newly decorated condo's. There was a need for new appliances and furniture, bath/tub/shower repair, fresh paint and floor cleanup --for sure. I understand these changes are nearly completed and with a bit of patience, we've weathered the storm and will be indulging ourselves once more in the beauty and relaxing environment of Club Cala.

With a bit more 'patience', the plaza and it's shops and clubs could be back to life too. We intend to be there to find out! We would tell anyone, it's truly worth the visit.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2006

I've read a lot of negative reviews about Club Cala @ Palmas del Mar and I must say I'm ver disappointed. I've been going to this resort since I was born (no lie) and I love it. I was there in 2003 and it was amazing. Yes it's not up to date in many things but this resort has been around for a while and right now they're in the process of renovation. I'm going to be there again on the 15th of this month and I'm definetely looking forward to it. I've stayed at amazing resorts in different places but I still adore Palmas del Mar. I always stay in one of the harbor villas and they are in pretty good shape. My younger brother was offered to go to Disney in Orlando, FL, an all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic or a cruise and he still chose Club Cala. That's gotta mean something. I'll write another review when I get back on the 22nd. I'll include photos.

Stayed July 2003
Windermere, Fl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2006

My family and I spent a week at Club Cala. We thought this will be a five star resort. It was a shame to see that the conditions of the villas are very poor. All the estructure is in deplorable conditions with pretty old appliances and furniture. Be carefull to go to Plaza Nova for dinner. My wife and I went one night and we saw several rats running from one place to another. The only place we enjoyed there for an informal lunch was the Flying Pizza. The pizzas are good. After this experience we decided not to use the facilities except for the beach. The beach is in great conditions and it is cleaned every morning.
For dinner, there are a couple of good restaurant located at Humacao beach. I would recommend both, Tulio's and Paradise Restaurant. The service is slow but the seafood is outstanding. Try the red snapper & the Sangria at Paradise Rest. If you like crabs, try it at Tulios. You can pick your own crabs !

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2006

Keep in mind one goes to this area for beauty of scenery and you are not staying in your room throughout the day.Major renovations are getting underway and within 1-2 years this will be more tolerable with the ammenities.However, after traveling up into the PRican mountains and seeing the shacks that some people live in for their homes than this makes you realize that Club Cala is fine.Not much activity around the area but was fine for adults.Teenagers enjoyed the beauty of beaches but not much socializing to do.No waiting for restaurants in the evenings!Golfcarts are great to get around the whole development.Not advisable for handicapped as many different steps leading to rooms and in the villas.Don't stay in villas around the pool area--poor shape.The harborside units are somewhat better but need updating.Rooms are large enough but maintenance issues need to be addressed and the cleanliness is questionable.Enjoy the beaches and there are paths to walk if you so choose!The staff is very friendly and are aware of the concerns for the resort.Just keep in mind this place is in the transition of being refurbished.Don't expect 5-star and enjoy the sunshine and tropical island!!

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Club Cala de Palmas? Share your experiences!