“No tourists, only travelers here.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barefoot Travelers Rooms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Humacao
Barefoot Travelers Rooms
Humacao | Punta Santiago, Humacao 00741, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Humacao B&B and Inns
Knoxville, Tennessee
“No tourists, only travelers here.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I fly free as a companion of an airline pilot. So I travel a lot. I hate being swallowed by large resorts and always look for smaller places to stay. I have been hang gliding for 40 years and found Bob&Keishya's place via a search for "hang gliding in Puerto Rico". My badazz travel pal, Emily, is also an experienced HG pilot. We planned to explore the island and started at the hang/paragliding epicenter of Puerto Rico, Barefoot Traveler's Rooms, to get some tropical airtime before touring the island. We never left. The weather was marginal for flying so we just hung out. First day we went to look at the HG launch and then looped "home" through the rain forrest on a desolate back road that Bob recommended. It was serene; like our own private drive through the forrest. Once back to civilization we stopped at Verde's, a great roadside BBQ joint that Bob told us about. 2nd day the weather was still poor for flying so we rented a boat from Captain JJ, in Fajardo. We snorked, cold beered, ran from rain squalls and managed to stay in the sun most of the day. Bob&Keishay know the area (land & sea) really well and told us where to go in the boat. 3rd day was a repeat boat day with another great Keishya recommended seafood place on the way "home". These folks are great tour guides. Day 4 the weather turned-on so we went hang gliding. I manage/guide at three killer HG sites in Tennessee so it was a REALLY nice to have pros like Bob&Keishya take care of everything. Our flights were spectacular. We flew over the rain forrest we had driven through days earlier. Emily got 2500' for about an hour and I manage to get to cloud-base (3500') several times. After our flights Bob&Keishya took care of all the gear so we could run off to play in another area of the rain forrest. They gave us more great directions to a beautiful swim hole with no one else around.

The house: It is CLEAN w/ good beds. NO BUGS!, which is very rare in the islands. Fully equipped, nice kitchen and good coffee in the morning. Fast Wi-Fi. Gated neighborhood, so no worries about your rental car. Actually, I found PR non-threatening. We enjoyed their nice sized, we'll kept pool and I wish I was still there. I am not a beach person but liked their beach which is 1/2 block away. No one was ever there. It has a nice little park, is not trashy and is protected from big waves.

Bob&Keishya are great, professional hosts. Seems they would do anything to help their guests have a good time. Actually, they're having a good time and are glad to have you join them. They obviously love what they do. I strongly suggest that you spend a few days here. Hang glide and kayak; they're both pros at it and will take good care of you. See the rain forrest; its right there and B&K will direct you so you won't have to share with any busloads of tourists. Most of all; just freaking chill. Traveler's is a perfect place for it. We usually travel "hard" and try to do everything. This trip we just kinda hung-out and relaxed. Sincere thanks to our pleasant hosts.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Asbury, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Keishya and Bob have brought the guest house concept to a new level. We have stayed at B&B's before and generally find them a very friendly and helpful way to travel. But here we had instant friends, travel agents, and trip planners all in one package. We knew we did not want to sit around a pool all day and we wanted to get out and enjoy Puerto Rico. Keishya and Bob offer all the outdoor activities we were looking for at one location along with better accommodations and more fun than we could expect at a hotel.

The tandem hang gliding was fantastic. I expected jumping off a cliff would be scary. Bob made it into the smoothest, most enjoyable experience I could imagine. After a short run down a hill (not off a cliff), we caught the updraft and just sailed over incredible scenery below. 3D special effects movies just don't compare. We rose several hundred feet above our jump off point and glided in figure eights along with the hawks. Bob is a master at sensing exactly what the wind is doing and making just the right flight adjustments to make a very relaxing ride. I have just 3 pieces of advice. Clean the sunscreen off your face because the wind made my eyes water enough to backwash some and cause stinging. Then on landing don't step on the cow pies or fire ants. You might also ask Bob to take you to his favorite local fast food shop for plantain canoas and quesitos.

The kayaking was equally memorable. We snorkeled around a ship wreck with schools of very colorful fish whose names escape me right now. At the same time the rain on our backs and the double rainbow added to a unique experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This was by far the best hotel/guesthouse experience on my 8 day trip to Puerto Rico. I am a solo, woman traveler and drove around Puerto Rico for 8 days. I came by Barefoot Travelers Rooms while reading Lonely Planet book and was able to get a room that same day. The guesthouse consists of 3 rooms and I stayed there while two couples were vacationing there as well. Immediately upon arrival I felt at home as the other guests offered me a drink and some of their food they had purchased for the shared kitchen. The following night we all barbequed and drank wine. The owners of the home also have various activities they host, handgliding, kayaking etc. I opted to sign up for the kayaking trip to see the monkeys on a nearby island ('Monkey Island') and it was an amazing experience. Bob the host, had a wealth of knowledge about the island and its history in regards to the monkeys (monkeys are observed on this island for research purposes).

The room I stayed in was very clean and neat. Fresh linens & towels provided each day and option for AC or to have windows open. I personally preferred to have windows open, but AC is an option (previous reviewer had claimed that AC does not exist, not true).

Highly recommend, especially if you are a solo traveler and looking to meet other travelers.

Room Tip: All rooms feature a queen or king size bed. Fitness center is in nature via kayaking or swimming.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Bob & Keishya showed us a great time in Punta Santiago. Their guest house was spic and span with a great pool and outdoor area. We were upgraded (for free!) to the Maroon room which had a super comfy bed and private bath. We went on the monkey island kayaking tour which was the highlight of our trip. Bob and Keishya know the area really well and are excellent tour guides and snorkeling teachers (I was a little nervous....) and were quick to cater to our specific interests. They were beyond warm and the place was perfect. The only thing that we would changed was the length of our stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Barefoot Travelers for 5 of the seven days we were in Puerto Rico.She wanted to learn how to hang glide, and I needed to refresh some flying skills from a long layoff.
What makes this place special are the hosts Keishya and Bob. They are very hospitable and knowledgeable about the area. Because our goals on this trip weren't the typical tourist routine, Bob and Keishya worked out a plan for flight training as well as seeing some of the local attractions.
The guest house is located in a gated community with easy access to the beach and a nature reserve. Finding the inn the first time after dark was a bit of a challenge since none of the houses in the neighborhood have street numbers. I'm sure that finding a bright reddish pink house in daylight would have been much easier. The bedrooms are comfortable and clean and the property and pool are well maintained. The house has wi-fi access and a common shared kitchen and living room for the guests. One of the nice features of staying at this type of inn is meeting the other guests in the shared area. While we were there we met people from all over Europe and in the evening, we traded stories of the days adventures.
The hosts are quite helpful about all the local restaurants, shopping,activities and tours. Due to our flight training schedule, they made a special arrangement for a tour of the Bio-bay in Fajardo. They also made special arrangements with other local pilots for our tandem hang gliding mountain flights due to Bob not being able to fly the week of our trip.
Keishya and Bob worked with us and what we wanted to accomplish and made sure we had a great time while in Puerto Rico. When my girlfriend is qualified, we will be back for solo mountain flights. I highly recommend the Barefoot Travelers Inn.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We spent in the Barefoot travelers first 3 nights of our stay in Puerto Rico. I must say after all the travelling we've done in Asia and Latin America, never had such a warm welcome, so friendly, helpful and hospitable hosts - Keysha and Bob. The guest house is very well located near beach, natural resort of Humacao, with possibilities of kayak trips to Monkey Island with Keysha, bio bay in Fajardo, Yunque rain forest. Much better than staying in San Juan and commuting from there. The rooms are clean and properly equiped, also the rest of ammenities shared with other guests are comfortable and great opportunity to meet other travellers, exchange experience and some local Bacardi ;) The pool in the house was a big plus, refreshing at any time. We also did the hang gliding with them, unforgettable experience for both of us seeing the world from the birds perspective and in between birds literally. We felt so good we did not even want to leave, so Keysha and Bob were so nice they let us stay till late afternoon, use the house, pool... we highly recommend the guest house, and all activities Bob and Keysha are offering to enjoy fully Puerto Rico.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Balcombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here because we were keen to kayak to monkey island and my daughter wanted to try hang gliding. Bob and Keisha's house was so clean, comfortable and the pool was a bonus. Keisha took us up to the flying site and we learned so much about PR from her-especially interesting re elections that were going on. Jess had an amazing flight and afterwards Keisha took us to a wonderful ice cream shop to celebrate! We stayed an extra night as we just didn't want to leave and it was an easy drive to the bio bay from the house: an experience not to be missed!! Wish we could have spent longer and gone to the nature park next door to see the wild iguanas that other travellers staying had done. Met some great people and sharing the kitchen (and some rum and cokes!) is a lovely way to get a better insight into other places to go and see. I recommend these rooms and the activities they offer without hesitation

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Barefoot Travelers Rooms? Share your experiences!