“Not as the pictures show...” 1 of 5 stars

Gran Hotel Plaza Imperial
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 57.5 Carretera | Toluca, Toluca 52170, Mexico   |
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Toluca
Barrie, Canada
“Not as the pictures show...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

This Hotel appears to be in a never ending state of construction. The photos they display are only the lobby and pool building, the actual hotel is behind that building, and is a dumpy not so clean, run down mess. The parking lot is a disaster as well.
My room was barely OK , but the window frame was falling apart, making it a challenge to open or close the window, something necessary as the room had no AC. In the hallway outside my room was a supposed "emergancy exit / security door" which was so damaged it would not close properly and would slam open and closed in the wind.( all night long ) This did not give me any sense of security at all. I checked out the next morning two days early, and found another place to stay.

Room Tip: Go to the Holiday Inn Express near the Airport in Toluca, it's excellent.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Hotel Plaza Imperial, responded to this review, May 19, 2012
Rocket455,

Ben J
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

This hotel had very attentive staff who helped make my stay comfortable as possible. I am very grateful to them for their hospitality and wonderful customer-oriented service. There is an indoor pool which was mainly empty and a gym, too. The only downside is that there is nothing to see/do in the area, and one has to take a taxi to get anywhere. This did not bother me as I was only visiting for work purposes. The airconditioner did not work for the entire week that I was there and when I requested a fan I was provided with one.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Mexico City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

We pulled intl the hotel entrance and took our parking lot ticket and there were traffic cones set up to our right which was clearly the hotel entrance. It seemed like we should have gone straight into what looked like (and was) an area closed and under construction. It is a real safety hazard. The lazy person who was supposed to be there to direct people was gossiping with his friends at the exit of the parkng area. Not a good start - bad supervision of this employee risks guest safety.

Then, we checked in - nothing extraordinary and went to our 2nd floor room and left for an event. Nothing bad or good. Oddly the desk phone in room missing and the hotel services guide mentions a Dataport on the phone and nothing about Intrenet. I turned on my computer and was pleased to get a wireless signal for hotel. It needed a password and I called and got one and it is free. That is a plus.

I will toss my breakfast coupons - the place is just not the type of place I like - but am happy I did not drag my laptop here for nothing. Will sleep, shower and leave - hotel is ot good for much else.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
guanajuato
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

I stayed at Holiday inn Toluca last Tuesday whit my husband, and we were very pleased with all the service and kindness of the staff there. even that the hotel is in a remodelation process, all the staff treat us as kings, and try very hard to asist in time all the requests we had. also they have a beautiful back yard in wich we can relax and walk, they have a climatized pool, so that was an extra for us because the weather there is cold. We recommed this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
FLORIDA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

I stayed in Holiday inn toluca the last week and raelly i surprised the warmth that the people have for the guest in front desk an the restaurant, everybody ask me if i required something, please just tell us, also the pool is really warm and big. but in general everithing was well

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

Last week iwas staying in Holiday Inn Toluca it was great the hotel is really huge it has a beautifull fild and heated indoor pool also it has a kind staff.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

With this being my 3rd trip to Toluca for business I thought I'd try a new hotel...all of the on-line pics looked good, and hey, Holiday Inn right? Basically my main issues were w/basics...heat was OK, but the AC is NONE-a 3 speed fan was it. Basic room/bath was from 70's with some kind of redo to bring it up a little(key word) bit. Breakfast Buffet was not where it needs to be-did not bother to check out lun/din. Front desk seemed indifferent to any thing I asked about-again, basics-internet and taxi. Last issue was that they cranked up the remodeling noise early...doing some kind of add on and scraping/filling/painting? Bottom line became I checked out after 2 days of an eight day stay...avoid this one until they bring it up to where it NEEDS to be and what you expect from Holiday Inn...even in Mexico!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Been to Gran Hotel Plaza Imperial? Share your experiences!