“Could have been top quality ...” 2 of 5 stars

You added Thainstone House Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   A96, main Inverness Road, Inverurie AB51 5NT, Scotland   |
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Inverurie
Troon
“Could have been top quality ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Beautiful setting and impressive exterior as you approach through parkland and tree-lined drive. Public areas are luxurious and very comfortable. Staff were extremely helpful and pleasant. In the dining room variations on the menu were offered to accommodate diet. Good spa. But the bedroom was disappointingly small and in need of redecoration. Cobweb in the top corner, but worst of all was an adjoining door to the next bedroom which allowed all sound to travel. The management were unable to offer an alternative bedroom for that night though we were given another the following morning. Again this room was fairly small though permitted more privacy. Could have been a quality hotel but for the bedrooms.

Room Tip: Be satisfied not having a luxury bedroom. Avoid any with adjoining doors.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GMThainstone, General Manager at Thainstone House Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found our service standards to be exceptionally high. I am sorry to hear you are disappointed with the standard of the bedroom, however we are about to commence a full bedroom refurbishment which is due for completion in 2014.

I do hope you will revisit soon

484 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Very much a work in progress. You are accommodated in what is an interesting building not in some annexe tacked on to the back. The general areas are all very tastefully done and the new dinning room is a real pleasure to eat in while you look out over the parklands. Food is of a good standard, breakfast had six cooked options and ample cereals, juices, fruits, yoghurts, while coffee or tea and toast was brought to the table along with your cooked food. Our bedroom was "tired" but not a bad size and boasted a walk-in wardrobe. Small touches such as the fancy folding of the toilet paper did seem like an odd use of time where as some bleach used to removed the black mould on the wall would have left a much better impression. Staff were very pleasant and hardworking. I think designing the grounds to incorporate some walks would enhance the guests' experience greatly. The choice at the moment seems to be to walk to the bottom of the drive and back up again or set out across a large expanse of wet grass. Given the many deals on offer at this hotel it is a good value 3 star.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GMThainstone, General Manager at Thainstone House Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the whole experience to be a great improvement on your last stay. I am also glad you enjoyed the food and I am delighted to let you know that be will launching our restaurant , Stockman's Bar and Grill and club room over the next few weeks to further enhance our food offering. I will be sure to pass your comments to my team, who as you rightly point work provide a warm and friendly atmosphere to enhance our guest experience. I look forward to welcoming you back next time

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed with a group last weekend. Lovely historic hotel set in relaxing parkland surroundings with excellent location near airport and local attractions. Staff were exceptionally friendly and food excellent. Our twin room was very great, and entire hotel very clean and well decorated (not the usual bland decor and small rooms most hotel groups offer). Particualr thanks to the barman and front of house manager who were excellent!
Didn't go to spa.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
GMThainstone, General Manager at Thainstone House Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am extremely glad that you could not fault your stay as my team and I work tirelessly to ensure we provide all our guests with a truly memorable experience.

I truly hope I can welcome you back personally next time

Robin
Grantown on Spey, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Had a 3 day dinner,bed and breakfast stay at end of august this year. Very nice hotel and staff extremely helpful and waiting staff very efficient. We had a 6 course taster menue every night,couldnt fault quality although the "jelly and ice cream " on sun night amounted to a melon ball scoop of ice cream and some red sauce and foam,no jelly of any type!. Breakfasts were not up to much, the continental and cold brekkie were fine, any hot food apaprt from porridge was not up to scratch im sorry to say. Overall a good visit although the seating in room 101 was very uncomfortable and the mattress needs changed as very lumpy and saggy in middle.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I certainly take your other comments on board. We are about to commence a full refurbishment of all bedrooms which will be scheduled for completion in 2014. I do hope that you come back soon and I look forward to welcoming you personally next time

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I, like many others before me, do extensive research through trip advisor and other sites to see where i am taking my family to stay. And i have to admit, the outlook on Thainestone House was bleak. However, we gave this hotel the benefit of the doubt and boy, were we glad.

I have never seen such friendly staff in Scotland, (and yes, there are many Scots working here, maybe they were just on a day off!!) From when we checked in with the ever so smiley and happy Sheena, who kept the banter flowing throughout our time (Once i figure out how, i will put her photo with us up) the stay got better. We had dinner in the restaurant on both nights and the gentleman (George i think we were told, could be Grahame? My memory fails me at times) who served us in the restaurant was most imformative! The food was great on the first night from Chef Andrew, very well presented and my oh my such flavours! However on the 2nd night the portions could have been bigger, it was still amazing, just not as satisfied. A different chef we were told. Cant win them all I guess!

The rooms were not great, but not as bad as they have been made out to be on here. Some small decorative issues, but my no means unclean. Housekeeping staff however were a little on the rude side and wouldnt even make eyecontact? Maybe they were just on the busy side?

We did not unfortunatly get the chance to make use of the pool and spa, however they looked very welcoming.

We had some drinks in the Club Room, or the Cocktail Bar as the staff better named it. Was welcoming and comfortable, but a couple of issues struck me here.
1- The fireplace sitting empty. Light it, its getting rather cold out there and even though you Scots are used to the cold, not everybody is!
2 - Please train your staff on Whiskey. Your barman (His name escapes me) gave us wrong information on some whiskey he was trying to sell us. We know this, as we had visited the distillery that day!! Perhaps it was because he was English? Next time tell us you dont know, we would respect you more than lying to us.

All in all, we enjoyed Thainestone House Hotel very much,and thats mainly due to the staff and the food. Thank you, and we shall return!

George

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad you found your stay to be a wonderful experience and I can assure you that I have taken note on the other points you made. I will certainly pass on your comments to my team, who work tirelessly to improve all our guests experience. I look forward to your return and hope to welcome you personally

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Been here before a few years ago and what a difference! They have started a major refurb that seems to be happening in stages. The reception area is so much nicer and beautifully decorated. The biggest improvement was the food. They obviously have a new Head Chef who has made a world of difference, the food was brilliant. We had scallops and langoustines to start followed by the Chateau briand to share, wow! The wine list still needs a bit of work, we wanted 2 glasses of Champagne but they dont do it by the glass. I asked for a Prosecco but again not available by the glass. A small thing I hope they sort. On the whole though, as the title states, what a difference to a few years ago, the place is looking so much sharper, the service really welcoming and friendly but even if you are not staying, just go and check out the food in the restaurant, its easily the best in the area.

Dear Guest

Thank you for review on Tripadvisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and are noticing the improvements which we are making on a continual basis. I look forward to welcoming you back personally next time

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here a couple of times now through work. Not many scots workin there. Staff are slow and food is average. Wouldnt pay to stay here. Other nicer and better hotels in the area. The 1 positive, the gym n spa

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. Please let me apologise that your stay at Thainstone House did not meet your expectations. We at, Crerar Hotels, have only recently bought the property and are currently investing a great deal of time and effort into staff training and the full refurbishment of all our public areas which is due for completion shortly. We do in fact, have a number of Scottish team members ( myself included) and I can assure you that we are making great amounts of progress every day. I do hope you would feel able to return to the hotel and see the fruits of our efforts over the next few months

General manager
Thainstone House Hotel & Spa

Been to Thainstone House Hotel? Share your experiences!