“Has real potential” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Inverurie
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Has real potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Hotel appears to be mid make-over. We went for dinner only, and did not stay over. The restaurant manager was very friendly and the waiting staff polite and efficient. However the quality of the food was disappointing given the price of the meal and the surroundings. Portion sizing also questionable. Final straw was cheesecake which was crushed digestive next to some "squirty" cream!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This was our second visit. It recently changed to Crerar Hotels from Swallow Hotels. On checking-in were told only one room had been booked, not the two rooms we required. Staff managed to resolve this problem eventually. Requested early dinner and told that the earliest available was 8 p.m., then offered 7 p.m., which we accepted. Dining-room almost empty at that time.
Shown to room 406, which looked good, but no view. However, noticed loud bang, with
floor movement at frequent intervals. This was investigated by the staff who said it was caused by two fire-doors swinging closed Demonstrated door tension had been adjusted. Sleep disturbed by banging and floor vibration, - then wakened at 3.30 a.m. by fire alarm. Daughter in another room banged her head on sloping eaves of ceiling on responding to fire-alarm.
Stood outside for 30 minutes - no roll call taken, then told to go back to rooms. Again, banging and vibration through floor. Phoned reception at 6 a.m . Banging stopped.
Change of room requested next day and transferred to room 111, on ground floor - again no view. Room very dark, and needing refurbishing. Daughter offered another room, but did not want the bother of moving.
Food. Very disappointing. A 6-course menu, costing £32.50, with either 2 or 3 choices for main course and extremely small portions. Two of us reverted to children's menu, which
was rather poor, i.e. macaroni-cheese and chips (with practically no cheese). The service was very poor - meal took 2.25 hours, mainly waiting over 30 minutes for sweet, being told that it was on its way, it would be 5 minutes, etc. - new chef !! Young waitress told us the bar menu was better, so confirmed we could partake of this up to a cost of £21 each. We did this, but not easy for four people to have meal on small cocktail table in lounge area. Were informed next day (on complaining) that we could eat from the bar menu in the dining-room. This we did on the final night, alternating between main menu and bar menu - good meal.
The meal on Friday was very similar to the meal on Sunday. Soup of the day on Saturday was tomato, as was the soup on Sunday !! Breakfasts were excellent except for the non-existence of the fruit salad, as shown on the menu. (grapefruit and prunes on Sunday only).
The staff did listen to complaints and did their best to rectify them, but it still ended up very much a "Faulty Towers" experience. It would have been helpful if there had been some indication that the bar menu could be used as an alternative - in the dining-room.
The hotel is in a lovely setting in beautiful extensive grounds. Has the potential to be a first-class hotel. Unlikely to make a third visit or recommend it to friends, as we had done previously.

Room Tip: Avoid room 406, and request a room with a view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

This hotel aims high but misses to get off the ground. Rooms with water stained roofs. No fresh towels, run down rooms. Food in the restaurant is a let down, I ate in the bar which was ok, but then I thought let's treat my self, overpriced and poor probably the worst stake I have ever had. The staff did take it off bill. Don't get me wrong the decor in bar's and reception area are nice but it fore give you a false impression. The gym is great and it is included in price. Over all not the best I have stayed in a lot better hotels for half the price.

• Stayed July 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

• Stayed July 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

You pass by some gate posts down a tarmac drive then bang; the tarmac ends and you are driving on a rutted potholed track thinly disguised with stone chippings. Main entrance closed during part of our stay; had to use a side door into a scruffy corridor strewn with wind-blown leaves. Not a good first impreesion. Decor and furnishings of the hotel need improvement but I gather they are working on that. Bedroom just OK but (1) biscuits not replaced, (2) a box of tissues would have been appreciated, (3) as would some bottled water in the hot weather, (4) the shower head was fixed and was only at shoulder height so couldn't stand under it, and (5) no light over the bathroom mirror so, if needing bathroom during the night, had to turn on main bathroom light which immediately started up a noisy fan.

Food good but if you are on DB&B rates, there's a very limited menu unless you pay a supplement. Staff friendly and generally helpful so this somewhat compensated for the somewhat run-down feeling of the hotel. Hotel situation and grounds pleasant. Overall just about deserves 3 stars but facilities need improving.

Room Tip: Our stay was booked through Easy Breaks; is this why we could only see a wall through the window? I...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

On arrival I was excited by what I seen, an old prestigious building with a grand entrance door and set in amazing surroundings.
Once I got inside I noticed a lot of decorating and refurbishing taking place which I wasn't made aware of but oh well it has to be done because we would only rate it as "dated" or "run down" on here wouldn't we!
Check in took a while even though I was the only one at the desk as they couldn't find me on their system at first. The carpets on the way to the room were heavily stained but didn't seem to be part of the renovation and the corridors were very dark with badly hung pictures.
The bedroom was more of the same, hopefully the redecorating will stretch to the floors above as the room was dark, old and dusty.
The bathroom was tiny and also dimly lit with the light on.
The staff were pleasant but I waited a while in the bar to get a drink as there was nobody around. I didn't fancy eating there with the smell of damp wall paper which had just been striped off but the menu looked ok.
The location was great for me as I was on business in the area but it would also suit a country getaway.
It was a real shame that the inside didn't match the grandeur and prestige of the outside but maybe it will once the whole place is updated and the service improved slightly.

• Stayed June 2013
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I arrived this afternoon with my teenager who uses a wheelchair. The car park outside the hotel has a thick covering of pebbles which is impossible to push a wheelchair over. The entrance to the hotel is up a flight of stairs. There is an entrance through the SPA or, as we were shown, past the smelly bin recess. Neither can be called disabled friendly. I had asked for a twin room with disabled access. The first room we were shown to was a small room which we couldn't enter with the wheelchair and had a small double bed. When I pointed out that I had asked for a twin room I was informed that the Groupon voucher said double/twin room. We were then given a bigger, twin room. The tv was old fashioned, I had to ask for a chair for the dressing table and it had a view of the back door but it was large, had a decent bathroom and coffee making facilities. I had been told before booking that there were no disabled shower facilities in the rooms but that the showers in the spa would be suitable.
We then headed to the spa to have a swim. There are no disabled facilities. The showers have no rails or seats. The door from the changing room to the shower area is too narrow to get a wheelchair or walking frame through. The pool area is tatty, has peeling paint and no glass in the ceiling windows.
After changing we went to find the lounge. The small bar upstairs was closed as they were hanging pictures. We couldn't get down to the other bar as there was a flight of stairs. We were given a drink in the hall area near the reception. This area has recently been refurbished but it is very dark and the furniture is old. It was thick with dust. I could write my name on the stairs.
This was supposed to be a treat in a spa hotel for a teenage girl. It was dingy, grubby and inaccessible for wheelchairs. It is important that a person with disabilities is included in all activities but we couldn't even mix with people in the bar. We were both pretty miserable and decided to leave and come home. I spoke to the General Manager who empathised and assured me he would get in touch with Groupon tomorrow morning to give us a full refund.

Room Tip: Room 111 is a large twin but has no outlook
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Thainstone House Hotel? Share your experiences!