“Big price, little food” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Strathburn Hotel

Strathburn Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Inverurie
Strathburn Hotel
You added Strathburn Hotel to your Saves list
Burghmuir Drive, Inverurie AB51 4GY, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Inverurie
Aberdeen
“Big price, little food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

The staff in the Strathburn are always very friendly and welcoming. Their service was great.
We ordered a Christmas meal which we felt was price appropriate as we had enjoyed this meal previously. The potion sizes this time were what can only be described as children's, certainly not enough food for either an adult or the price! Turkey came (with the trimmings, but very little of them) but I was looking for more and I'm not a big eater! The turnips tasted strange and were served in a ball as was the stuffing, obviously by an ice cream scoop, which I used to get for school dinners as a child thirty years ago!
In summary, plain food, nothing special, too pricey! Disappointing!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I have been staying here regualry when up on business in the Aberdeen area and I had the 'audactiy' to try and negotiate a rate with them for the whole of next year - they basically told me they dont give rates to anyone - despite my £3k pa spend, obviously my money is not good enough for them - I know that certain companies have rates but I will not be back given the dreadful attitude and arrogance. I cannot help but agree with Pat K's review - whilst I agree the food is very good - it is grossly and greedily overpriced. Thankfully Pittodrie House values me as a customer now and has given me the service I requested. Most disappointed!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for three nights on business. The Staff were very professional and yet warm on the telephone, and dealt with my booking efficiently. The hotel is easy to find and has plenty of parking, which felt secure.

I was checked in quickly, and was informed of various times etc. I booked a single room, but was given a very spacious double room. The room was a bit of an enigma because although the fabrics used were very floral (country cottage style) it still felt business like and professional. The fabrics on the curtain matched the bed coverings and cushions and were of a high quality. The room was provided with two chairs and a small table. There was a dressing table, a suitcase stand, two bedside tables, three lamps, trouser press, hair dryer, toiletries etc etc.

The room was clean, but more importantly it was warm and welcoming and was a nice place to relax in the evening. The table and chairs made a nice change from having to sit on the bed. The lighting was also nice as the lamps could be used to great effect. I was happy to stay in the room each evening and relax.

I cannot comment on the restaurant except to say it looked very nice. Breakfast was included in my room rate, but I left early each morning. The restaurant was a little out of my budget for eating without Clients present. There are plenty of restaurants locally and a Morrisons on the doorstep as alternatives. The hotel has a bar which is also well used and seemed pleasantly busy each night.

Great hotel, great staff.

Room Tip: The tea making facilities and kettle are in the cupboard!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

We stopped for a meal on our way back from Aberdeen as we had heard about the good food. The lounge/ dining room is very cosy and very smart and the staff very welcoming but this is not a smart dining room.We had ordered our drinks when we looked at the menu and were shocked by the cost of dishes. Haddock gugons was the cheapest on the menu and cost over £14 most other dishes ranged from £18 to £21. We all took haddock and it was very tasty, we had no complaint regarding the quality of the food. My mother who is in her 90's and another in our group requested vanilla ice cream , 2 scoops and was charged an exorbitant £6.25 - £3.12 per scoop !! People talk about rip-off Britain, this is certainly one of the worst experiences I have come across. We dined out at a boutique hotel the previous evening and the cost was £1.00 per scoop. I have no problem paying £3.00 or there about for 2 scoops of ice cream but £6.25 !!!! The prices on the menu reflect those of a posh restaurant not a lounge bar. We came away very annoyed, partly our own fault as I didn't ask the cost of 2 scoops of ice cream, stupid me. We will not be returning and I would never think to recommend this hotel to anyone else.

• Stayed October 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Work related stay. Rooms were of a good standard, very spacious & clean. Comfortable sleep. Food was really good & excellent choice of quality local foods. Location is good & easy access.
But what makes this place exceptional are the staff. Fantastic all round. Polite, courteous, helpful, friendly & good natured. We enjoyed their company and that made the stay great.
Hopefully the next stay will be for a pleasure visit as opposed to work!
Thanks to all

• Stayed October 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I had a recent two night stay in what was a comfortable and well-appointed room. We ate in the restaurant each night and could not fault the food and while the service was good it perhaps could be classed as “too good” – as one waitress took away our starter plates another arrived with our main course – a little gap between would have been welcome, particularly given the size of the portions. Perhaps this was simply an example of trying too hard to please as all the staff were very friendly and helpful. The only other comment I would make is that we found the restaurant prices, especially those for wine, to be a little eye watering but I suppose we have to remember that we were in oil territory. Breakfast was first class – it was a pleasant change to get a hotel breakfast which was freshly cooked and served on a hot plate.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Portpatrick, SW Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here whilst on a business trip and booked an executive room. It was our first visit to the Hotel and definitely won't be our last! The staff were extremely friendly and helpful - especially the waitress who greeted everyone with a lovely smile in the morning and looked after us really well. The ambiance in the dining room was delightful and the food was lovely.

The decor throughout the hotel is of excellent quality and design and had an air of subtle relaxation about it. The bedroom and en-suite were spotlessly clean with good quality furnishings and carpets, with dual-aspect windows overlooking the rear lawn and garden. Being situated at the rear of the building there was no traffic noise whatsoever.

The only negative is that the restaurant prices were quite high but we like to eat out anyway and had an excellent meal in the local Indian restaurant.

We will definitely be visiting the Strathburn again next year.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are tucked away in a quiet corner of the Hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Strathburn Hotel? Share your experiences!