“Afternoon at the Bear” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bridgnorth
“Afternoon at the Bear”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a lovely afternoon at the Bear. What a great pub! Good range of drinks, excellent homemade food and free wi-fi - what's not to like? The delightful sunny garden is a great place to soak up a few rays during this long hot summer. All in all a welcoming oasis in the middle of Bridgnorth.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

For second time this year when booking nights away encountered " double booking", but different result at The Bear as their town centre terraced one bedroomed property available with breafast at pub.Had chat with landlord and landlady over breakfast getting some insight of town.
Although town centre no problems with sleeping.

• Stayed July 2013
Burton on Trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Just arrived home from staying two nights at the Bear inn in Bridgnorth. On arrival Kim ( the landlady ) asked if we minded changing rooms and offered us their cottage which was about 200 yards away. She let us view it first and straight away we said yes. The cottage is well over 100 years old and is absolutely beautiful and contains everything you need.
We still had breakfast at the pub ( very good value ) and felt very comfortable drinking there at night especially in the beer garden. we would definately recommend the Bear inn and Bridgnorth for a short break.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
BearBridgnorth, Owner at The Bear Inn, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Hi to you both and thanks you so much for your kind comments. Thanks for looking after our cottage and we hope that you come back and visit again.
Kim and Phil
Pee,l Isle of Man
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Bear Inn was in the main street and it was packed as the Saturday market was on,I was told I could park at the rear of inn which I did but was worried as I was not sure that it belonged to the inn. [it was still there next morning so I presumed it was ok] Being Saturday night there was a band playing and the bedroom was jumping up and down till about 11.30 pm, I was warned by the staff when booking that this could be the case but as it was the only place I could get booked I had no choice. the bed room was clean but a bit small.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BearBridgnorth, Owner at The Bear Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hi
Thanks for your comments although I am not sure what your point is with regard to the car park.
Sorry that you did not enjoy the fact that we had a music night but at least you were informed in advance and were able to make your decision to book based on the relevant information being provided.

Sorry you found the room small but the rooms are priced according to such factors.

Kim
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I booked all the rooms for 13 of us while we visited The Severn Valley Railway 40's weekend.
I am so glad I did. Excellent hotel, lovely and clean, staff very friendly and helpful and the breakfast next day was just perfect. I will certainly be booking again for next year and I will book early to ensure we get in , having stayed there I would be disappointed with any thing else. Owners very very helpful, we arrived quite early and Kim was most obliging, letting us put our luggage away and also on Sunday leaving it there all day until it was time to go. I would recommend this to any one, nothing too much trouble

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
wolverhampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

my partner and I have been to bridgnorth several times but this is the first time we have stayed at the bear.
bit worried at first at staying in a pub. but there was no need !
The rooms were better than we expected and the whole weekend was excellent value.
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and we had a restful weekend.
we shall certainly choose the bear again when we next return to bridgnorth

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I booked 2 rooms in January for 2 nights stay in May when booking i was told the rooms were £65 each a night with no breakfast and would be a total of £250, i was asked if i would like to pay in full to which i asked could i pay a deposit of £50 which the owner agreed to { as i had done so the previous year } on reflection i paid £240 for 3 rooms the previous year same dates with breakfast for 2 nights stay, i went to see Mrs Neal who was very unapproachable when i questioned her rates , she said that i had made a mistake as the rooms were £75 a night each and there would be a balance of £250 { after i had paid the deposit } she would not admit she had took the booking or the rate she had told me when i explained my friend were pensioners and could not afford the price of £75 which she had ,she was very rude and asked if i wanted to stay there which i said" No" not particularly but we didnt have a choice as she refused to give me my deposit back so i had to leave the booking as it stood
As 2 other friends tried to book 2 nights to surprise me at the Bear they were told by Mrs Neal she had sold our rooms to a wedding party and i only we had 1 night booked at the Bear, had my friends not phoned me to inform me my 2 other friend would have had a wasted weekend and journey from Blackpool , when i rang Mrs Neal she told me she had sold our rooms because we had not paid in full and we still could not have a refund of our deposit, i told Mrs Neal she had better explain this to my husband as we were on our way
On arrival Mrs Neal offered the deposit back saying she was stressed out with the booking !! when she saw my husband which i gladly took back , { no apology given }
No way would i ever stay there again as the owner is a rude, inconsiderate woman with an attitude, her rooms are not worth £75 a night , its a pub not a 4star hotel , breakfast are poor due to being very small portions {which was not included anyway } My advice to anyone wishing to stay there would be DONT, go to Parlours Hall which we did or the Bandon Arms
Mrs Neal should change her name to Mrs Turpin even the highway robber wore a mask and according to the locals in Bridgnorth she does this regular when she can get a better price for her rooms
parlours hall is far better value, food excellent and plenty , staff cant do enough for you , location very good and free parking with security.
Mrs Neal you did us a favor selling our rooms.

Room Tip: Book into Parlours Hall , rooms very nice , staff very helpful , breakfast fantastic, rooms far bett...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
BearBridgnorth, Owner at The Bear Inn, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Hi
Thanks for your comments.

However, The Bear Inn Booking Policy is advance payment. This is clearly stated when you make an enquiry or book online. I am not sure when I told you that our rooms are £75.00 as we do not have any rooms at that price. Our room rates begin at £20.00 per person and vary according to the room requested and the day of the week

With regard to me being rude I am sorry that you felt that, however, my customers that were present were stunned into silence when they heard the way you spoke to me. It is true that I asked you if you actually wanted to stay as we do not want unhappy guests at The Bear. We like to think that our guests come because they want to stay here. Obviously, on this occasion we have not been able to meet your demands, however, I am glad that you found somewhere to stay that you enjoyed.

Kim Neale

Been to The Bear Inn? Share your experiences!