“A pleasant dining experience” 5 of 5 stars

The County Hotel
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Lancaster Road, Carnforth LA5 9LD, England   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Carnforth B&B and Inns
lancaster
“A pleasant dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I dined here with my husband and teenage daughter and couldnt fault it.The food was superb and tasty .The steak and kidney pudding was to die for and homemade chips.The service was excellent giving us sufficient time to order.The atmosphere in the restaurant was relaxing.Cant wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Arnside, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

A dinner was booked to say farewell to work colleagues. There were 9 vegetarians, including us and the hotel had been told beforehand that this was the case. However, we were kept waiting in a queue while everybody else was served. When I complained, the manager, instead of apologising for the wait, became very agressive and abusive, telling me that it was our fault, not theirs, and that they had done everything right. When I suggested that arguing with customers was not the right approach, she became even angrier and said that I was in the wrong for complaining. I then suggested that she needed to go on a course to brush up her management (or lack of) skills, and she told me that I was a very rude person, amongst other things.
When I was telling my friends in the restaurant what had happened, she stormed up to me and tried to snatch my drink from my hand. I told her that if she touched me again, I would make sure she was prosecuted for assault. We had had enough by this time and left.
It is nice to know that the great British tradition of rude and indifferent service is alive and well in the County Hotel in Carnforth.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
TheCountyHotel123, General Manager at The County Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Re leaving party 3rd Feb 2012

In Response to the accusations of Mrs East: The party was booked for a leaving do of a colleague from the RSPB at Leighton Moss. The meal was booked for 7pm for 7.30pm for 40-45 people where they had also pre ordered 7 vegetarian meals of which were homemade cheese & onion pie. The people in the party arrived in stages therefore they were already running behind schedule. We started to serve the carvery at about 7.45pm instead of 7.30pm. The cheese & onion pie was cooked to order, with the party arriving late the cheese & onion pie had dried out so the chefs had decided to cook fresh pie as the original was not up to our best standard. Also nobody from the party had pointed out to us which tables had the vegetarians on, so the chefs again were left having to produce these when they approached the carvery, which meant there was going to be a delay. Can I point out at this stage that the organiser nor had anyone else complained.
With regard to Mrs East, we felt she was extremely rude and completely out of order in the way that she behaved towards our staff in front of the restaurant and the leaving party too. When she approached the manageress in the restaurant she did not give the manageress time to explain the situation and was very rude, even customers in the restaurant at the time whom are regular customers commented on “how rude that lady was”. She even accused the manageress of being prejudice just because they were vegetarians.

When Mrs East went back into the function room she started telling her friends/colleagues about the situation. The manageress was actually going to the bar for a drink order from a table in the restaurant when she could not help but hear Mrs East pointing her out in front of everyone saying “This is her, this is the manger that needs to go on a customer service course” Obviously the manageress was embarrassed at this outburst as she hadn’t been given a chance to explain the situation. So the manageress walked over to her and asked Mrs East to come over to one side where they could talk. Mrs East refused and would not let the manageress get a word in. As for manhandling Mrs East, that is total fabrication, all the manageress asked Mrs East to do was to leave the hotel and asked for her glass of wine, and rather than have any other trouble took the glass from Mrs East at which point she pulled her arm away where I can only presume this is when she spilt her wine.

Her manner towards the manageress was appalling and she was to be honest making a show of herself. The manageress was well within her rights to ask Mrs East to leave.

I might add that no one else made a complaint, her husband never said anything and in fact a lady from that evening actually brought a friend into the restaurant on Saturday night and never mentioned it either. Also Mrs East Was NOT even the organiser of this function.

I would have thought that Mrs East being a teacher of music therefore a very thorough person would have gone out of her way to find the name of the manageress and whom to address her letter of complaint, not just make one up.

Director
Stockport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed at this hotel recently and didn't particularly enjoy the experience. I found the rooms over-priced and poorly lit. Also I had a very noisy fan in my bathroom which took ages to turn off. The bed wasn't comfortable and there were hairs in the bath - ergh! The food in the restaurant wasn't bad and some of the waitresses were delightful but I found the atmosphere downbeat and breakfast boring.

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms away from the main road in the annexe so make sure you ask for one of those i...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011 via mobile

I recently stayed at the county after visiting family. The room was clean and tidy all with free view tv. We ate at the hotel I had a superb carvery witch was only £5.95 and my partner ate of the al a carte menu - the lamb Henry was excellent!There is plenty of choice The tables in the restaurant were lit with candles and I even got to watch the football in the bar on the 3d sky sports a new experience for me - well worth a visit even just for the food. The staff were friendly and helpful and breakfast you couldn't ask for any more! Were going back in the new year and have been looking forward to it since we left last week!

• Stayed October 2011
Nottingham, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights at the end of October half term with family. Plenty of parking available at all times. The rooms are in separate quarters to the main building at the back of the car park. Our room was spacious, clean and the shower was excellent which was a nice surprise! Towels have seen better days but still clean and changed daily if requested. Breakfast cooked to order and very nice.

• Stayed October 2011
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010 via mobile

THIs hotel is fine but the reason I am doing this review is to let you know how to get the best nightly rate.
I have booked this hotel twice now and both times internet prices are way off the hotel cost. IF you phone this hotel direct it costs 55 pound per night per double room. EVen their own web site charges more if booked online.

• Stayed August 2010
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Lovely big room, fantastic food, good fixtures and fittings, tho we had a cot which was a little odd. However we had to go and get someone to get a drink when we arrived because there was nobody at the bar and although advertised, there was no continental breakfast option. However worst thing was 10.30pm when a random man let himself into our hotel room to get this cot. Then the receptionist followed, saying she thought no one was in the room. This being the same receptionist that gave us our key. left us very unsettled. Wouldn't go back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The County Hotel? Share your experiences!