“Many thanks great food and party venue” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Ampfield
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Parts of the ancient building of the White Horse date back to the 16th century, and the two large Inglenook open fires bear testament to their heritage with their smoking chambers and their priest hole. These fires which are always alight during the winter months throw their heat into the various bar areas.The locals bar, with its dart board, and cosy village atmosphere retains the typical English pub image. Roaring log fire, the slap of cards on the table during a crib match and the thump of darts in the board, echo quietly in this bar. No background music can be heard, just the agitated discussions of the village elders who frequent this oasis of good beer & conversation.The lounge bar, with its equally large Inglenook can accommodate up to 40 people sitting and many more standing. Used by many people as a dining area, it still retains its “Olde World Charm”. A comfortable Chesterfield and deep farmhouse chairs merely add to the pleasant ambience of this lovely area.The restaurant has been built in a new area that extends towards the lovely pub garden. Seating 90 customers it makes a perfect place to enjoy the excellent food that is always available.
Romsey, United Kingdom
“Many thanks great food and party venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The white horse pub fabulous venue for pub grub and party celebrations.

Many thanks to John and Gaye who put together and organised a fabulous 1930s birthday party, all the staff lovely and friendly, great atmosphere, scrumptious food, 140 guests devoured the great buffet , gigantic chocolate fountain, music, entertainment.....welcoming log fires in the winter months and lovely gardens in the summer, great place any time to call into.
We now visit this pub regularly, what is so special about this place is John and Gaye give one hundred per cent service.....if you don't like anything about your food tell them and they will of course change it for you! I look forward to my cheese sandwich soon !! Delicious !!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Nr Romsey
“Very Disappointing Cheese Sandwich & Mulled Wine”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We visited 20/1/13, ordered our drinks & settled down to enjoy them. After 10 mins or so we decided we were peckish so ordered some food. My wife had Macaroni Cheese. Her comments about that were that it was fine. My pint of 6X was as I expected, very nice.
However, we do wish to pass comment on the mulled wine my wife ordered and the Cheese Sandwich that I ordered.
My wife said that the wine demonstrated no taste of having been spiced, despite the sludge that was in the bottom of her glass when she had finished it. She said that it was no more than warm, overpriced red wine.
My cheese sandwich was described as "Mature Cheddar Cheese & Real Ale Chutney on (my choice) White Bread". I have to say that it was very disappointing. The cheese was in no way "Mature Cheddar", more like tasteless pre-cut plastic cheese out of a packet. The white bread was from a pre-sliced loaf of very mediocre quality. I did notice a couple on a nearby table had brown bread & that appeared to have been freshly cut from a loaf. The "Real Ale Chutney" was OK, but there wasn't enough of it in the sandwich, for my liking. The small salad with the sandwich was OK, but had no dressing that I could discern.
With hindsight, I should have complained at the time. I was hungry, & it was only when I was half way through that I really noticed the poor quality of the sandwich.
This experience will stay with us for some time & make us think twice about visiting again, or recommending to friends as we have in the past.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Surprise Party”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I had my (Surprise) birthday party at the White Horse on Saturday evening and they did an outstanding job. I had over 50 guests and we took over part of the pub, with a band, decorations and dancing.

John created a special menu of 3 course food choices for the guests and this was served to 50 guests sitting down at the same time, very slick, very polite and extremely well organised . The atmosphere was great and the party a huge success.

Gaye and John could not have been more helpful and I got many appreciative notes from my friends about the great food and service. There is a great team at the White Horse and its such a friendly pub.... The log fires are great and we also enjoyed the patio area outside to cool down after dancing!

Thanks very much and if you are thinking about where to celebrate, meet as a group or have a special occasion, I would recommend The White Horse every time. I had a fantastic party and some wonderful memories as a result.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
whitehorseampfield, Owner at White Horse, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Many thanks, it was a pleasure to see you and your family having a wonderful evening
Romsey, United Kingdom
“9th nov family meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

we went together as a family to the white horse in ampfield .we all ordered the salmon as a starter which was wonderful,only2 crotons to supp up by could have done with another 2.i had the chicken which was nice, but for the portion size i piece of chicken with chips staring at me in the face - two or three would have been worth the price my husband had the poussoin one mouthful and it was gone he was still hungry,my relative had the curry and that was good and plentiful as did my other relative who had the gammon . the staff were polite and couteous but the one big let done for us was the size of the portions for some meals the log fire was wonderful as we came into the white horse my other relative had the bread and butter pudding with strawberries?? hello???? he said it was not as good as mine!log fires i love but service was quick the salom was wonderful but folks for 2 pounds more we could have popped acrs the road to keats where we could be guarenteed a full tummy

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
whitehorseampfield, Director of Sales at White Horse, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
I am very sorry that our guest was not happy with the portion size. Chicken & Poussin sizes are not governed by us, but by our supplier.

we sell 800 meals a week and most of our reviews are positive. I am not sure I understand the message regarding the Bread & Butter pudding and the strawberries. We use strawberries as a decorative fruit on all our desserts, and obviously I am sorry that it was not as good as our guest could make.

I am pleased that the service, the fires, the ambiance and all were lovely, and I thank you for the comments. I would point out that our wonderful neighbours at Keat's might be a tad more per meal than £2.00, they are a restaurant, we are a country pub.
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
“A pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have passed this pub hundreds of times in the past, but had never actually been inside. On a recent excursion we had been intending to have lunch at the Hillier Gardens restaurant, but on arrival found it packed with visitors to the autumn festival, so decided to retrace our steps and stop at the first place we passed. This proved to be the White Horse, and on perusing the menu we agreed to give it a try. The pub was much more spacious that it appeared from the outside, the choice of food wide and varied, and the staff friendly and attentive.
The food was served promptly and was of excellent quality, with realistically sized portions, which enabled us to sample the delicious desserts too. I will certainly return to this unassuming gem!

• Visited October 2012