“lovely hotel accomodation let down by in-house restaurant” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 Restaurants in Ampfield
Cuisines: Bar, International, British, Brasserie
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Potters Heron Hotel/ Restaurant features informal lunch and dinner restaurant AND bar menus, with freshly cooked seasonal changing specialities, both regional and international.Menus for special occasions, Pianist during Sunday lunch. In the summer we have an "al fresco" sun terrace with wide umbrellas ; in the winter we have a cosy log fire to warm you up. Open 7 days a week from 9.30 AM til late, our large restaurant bar is stocked with international lagers, quality ciders and 3 Hampshire Ales on tap, a large wine selection lists wines by grape variety which enables you to select your favourite wine by flavour, either by the glass or bottle. Sunday lunch with succulent roasts from 12 - 3pm Morning cappuccinos from 9.30 am, afternoon tea, espresso and liqueurs for the evening. Last orders at 9.30 PM. Plenty of free parking and free Wi-Fi throughout, THE meeting place in the green.......
Tavistock, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel accomodation let down by in-house restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This place was recommended to us by friends who had stayed a couple of years ago. The hotel room was fantastic and the service lovely but our whole stay was ruined by our restaurant visit - and left old friends who had met us here to enjoy a meal together very unimpressed, The decor and layout of the building are faultless, as is the service by the staff, but all four of us had very disappointing meals. Lacklustre in every sense and overpriced for the underquality. We won't be back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Frank P, General Manager at The Potters Heron Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear guest,
I am sorry that your all together favourable stay has been marred by our food quality and menus.
Since May, we have changed and reviewed our restaurant menus 3 times and have introduced regional and seasonal dishes to enhance our offering. I just hope that we may entice you to return, because I believe we have turned the corner earlier in the summer, with a new chefs brigade in place together with a new head chef.

Thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment.

Frank Postel General Manager

Southampton, United Kingdom
“A warm welcome.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stopped here for a drink one freezing cold and snowy lunchtime. The car park was literally and ice rink and only a few 4x4s and cars with traction control seemed able to get in. As I had the latter I parked near the entrance and went inside.

The main restaurant area is large and clean, with a fairly well stocked bar at above average prices. My intention to just have a beer soon melted away as the cold from outside was replaced by the warmth of the interior. I ordered a steak and ale pie with vegetables and potatoes... and I was not disappointed when it arrived. On the day of my visit, which as I say was horrible weather wise... the restaurant had at least 25 customers, which should tell you something about the quality?

The toilets in here are spotlessly clean, with superb washing facilities including high end soaps and even moisturiser!!!

I would recommend this establishment for couples, friends and families.

Visited November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review of our restaurant. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

With kind regards

Frank Postel , General Manager
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Disjointed and Unclear”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Went with a friend on a Saturday evening having not been for many years. Was impressed with the lay out and decor of the place and the ability to dine in the Bar in a relaxed manner. Choice was not brilliant and my first choice was not available. Second choice was very tasty but both my friend nor I had any vegetables with our dishes. It maybe that they should be ordered seperately but at no time was this pointed out to me or even very prominent on the menu! ordering and paying seemed a little haphazard bearing in mind the place was not heaving

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Welshpool
“Up to expected standards”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Whilst staying at the hotel we had a meal with friends. Was very impressed with the service. The food was good and well cooked. The service was whatever you needed, we lingered with our food as we were chatting and we were under no pressure to finish. Did expect it to be over expensive but it cost no more than other places. Meal and sweet for 4 of us + drink came in under £80

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My parents took me here for a special birthday meal. And it was special, as I was with my parents and it was my birthday and it was their treat. Unfortunately, there must have been a problem with the heating, as the venue was freezing cold - despite it being a sunny spring day outside. Staff did try to find us a warmer table higher up, but we ended up keeping our coats on throughout the meal. The meal was nice, expensive and memorable for all the wrong reasons. We skipped dessert, as felt we needed to leave to warm up elsewhere!

• Visited May 2012