We stayed two nights under a Groupon deal. I told the reservations office that my husband is disabled and we needed a room not too far from the lift which she said she would organise. We are both in our 70s and my husband is disabled with only one leg. When we arrived, with my husband wearing shorts, no help was proffered to help us get our luggage to the room. The room was 104 and very close to the lift. We discovered that it was a special room for disabled but heaven help anyone in a wheelchair who would not be able to open the door to the room as it was so heavy to push. It took all my strength to open it. The facilities in the bathroom were excellent with a wet room with a non slip floor, low level washbowl and ample grab rails. However in the room, there were no bedside tables. There was a shelf over the bed but this was covered in thick dust. The angle poise lamp did not work even though it was reported to maintenance, it was not fixed. The hanging rail for clothes was placed over a dressingtable type of cupboard so you could not hang long clothes onto it and what was beyond belief was that this rail was directly over the dressingtable mirror so you could not use the mirror because of the clothes hanging down. There were no instructions in the room regarding anything apart from a room service menu. Nothing with regard to breakfast times, meal times, spa facilities, etc. It was only when removing our clothes that we discovered a switch that opened the window.
When we went down for a meal on the 2nd night (as we had eaten out the first night), we were placed immediately behind a very noise hen party group. The noise was horrendous with all their high laughter, etc. It really affected my hearing aid as I could only pick up their noise and it was unbearable. We requested to be moved and the waitress who had shown us to the table said it was not possible. I found this strange as there were plenty of empty seats at the back of the restaurant. When a second waitress came to take the order, I had removed my aids as I could not cope and she kindly moved us to another table. I noticed during the course of the evening, that not all the other tables had been taken so why could we not have been moved in the first instance particularly as we were down early for a 7.00 meal?
For breakfast I had asked if they had green tea and was assured that they had. But it transpired that it was only peppermint or chamomile and blackcurrant. So many people drink green tea nowadays that it surprises me that a hotel of this size cannot cater. The eggs ran out and had to wait ages for a refill and the scrambled eggs looked like rubber. The bacon had been cooked so much, the rashers were joined together in threes and were difficult to separate.The breakfast waitresses were very cheerful and attention was paid to ensuring all tables were wiped clean after each person left. However at our age, I do object to being called "guys" by the young male waitor and find it disrespectful. When mentioning it to him that I was not used to being called a "guy" he said that the manager used this terminology. OK if you are young but not when you are older and this should be attended to.
Overall we enjoyed our stay but the room facilities, apart from the bathroom, made life very difficult and the lighting in the room was very dark.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Village Urban Resort Manchester Ashton is located to the East of Manchester City Centre, close to the City of Manchester Stadium and Sports City complexes and just 8 miles from Manchester Airport. The hotel is within easy reach to Cineworld, Hollywood Bowl and Ikea. Village Urban Resort Manchester Ashton has 120 stylish bedrooms, a choice of stylish dining or a traditional pub, Starbucks Coffee Shop, state-of-the-art Health and Fitness Club, 25 metre Swimming Pool, Meeting and Conference Centre, Live Party Nights, Wedding Licence and free WI-FI throughout the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Village Urban Resort Manchester Ashton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Village Ashton Moss Under Lyne
- Village Urban Resort Manchester Ashton Ashton-Under-Lyne, Greater Manchester