“For what you are paying for a hotel in San Francisco is not bad.” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Travelodge Ashton Under Lyne to your Saves list
Travelodge Ashton Under Lyne
Lapwing Lane, Ashton-under-Lyne M34 5QL, England   |
“For what you are paying for a hotel in San Francisco is not bad.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

TL;DR: Not Dangerous, Staff is not the bad, bathrooms are clean and rooms are clean and good enough for resting.

I spent a week in San Francisco for WWDC2014. I booked my airplane ticket and hotel in expedia.com. I didn't realize where this hotel was located. I thought it was well positioned near the downtown and Yerba Buena Gardens. A couple of weeks before my trip I did some research about the area and found out that the hotel "was" in the Tenderloins. I freaked out big time and I was scared because the most I read about Tenderloins the more scarier it seemed, specially for me having to carry my laptop top the conference.

After I checked in I asked about the neighborhood and they told me I shouldn't go southwest cause there's where it's kinda dangerous. I also found out that the hotel is not exactly in the Tenderloins is in the limits. Nothing bad happened during my stay. Actually the neighborhood wasn't that bad. I would even come around 1 or 2 in the morning walking by Geary Street from Square Union.

That said, I wasn't concerned about the rooms or the bathrooms. I knew when I booked it that the bathrooms were in the halls. However, the bathrooms were always really clean as the room too. The room had a small fridge, a tv, cable, a sink, and a microwave.

If you want to bring someone for the night you have to pay extra, not that I did it, but I was warned at check in. I think that rule is kinda stupid and that's why I give it a 4 out of 5.

The personal is ok, I think there's a language barrier, but they were nice to me. Also they were always at the front dask when I came late. They even got me a taxi at 4am in the morning once.

I would recommend this hotel if you don't have a lot of money to waste in hotel or you see hotels as me: Places that you go after you have a good day. After all, what else do you need after been walking around SF for hours?

Room Tip: I got a room on the thirdfloor right next to the "emergency" stairs. It was quiet
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The last time I stayed here was mid 2013 and vowed not to go back as it was very tired, in fact grubby. I commented then it needed an overhaul !! To my frustration I had to book and stay here again in early July 2014 and for 1 night was prepared to go through the pain again. There were no other hotels in the area free and to my budget.
HOWEVER to my very pleasant surprise the place has had a complete refurb, painted, new carpets and new beds, 100% better !! The staff were always polite even before and the pub next door ( Sheldon Arms ) is great. Serves very good food and real ales. I would definitely return to this travelodge again.
One tip get a room at the back of the hotel as the new Manchester tram service ran past my room at the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: One tip get a room at the back of the hotel as the new Manchester tram service ran past my room at t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Penarth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed three nights in this Travelodge hotel and it was okay but its proximity to a tram line and major road junction means that it is noisy. Its a small hotel located in an area referred to as the 'Snipe'. The bedrooms are okay with a comfy bed and the usual trimmings. I moved room after one night because of the noise caused by the trams operating literally in front of the hotel. In addition the road noise is considerable. Whilst the trams stop running at around 11pm the traffic noise continues and whilst the volume of traffic dies down the passing sirens, motor bikes and fast cars create an ongoing noise issue. Moving to the rear of the hotel meant the noise decreased considerably. The staff were friendly and helpful. There is a vending machine on site and a breakfast box can be purchased for £4.95p which contains cereal, juice etc.
Nearby is the Sheldon Arms pub which serves food but breakfast does not start until 8am which may be a little late if you have a work commitment. Across the road is a retail park but its main focus is DIY and similar and there is a Macdonalds restaurant.

Room Tip: Try to secure a room with an even number as this will be at the rear of the hotel and the noise wont...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Catterick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Convenient location with ample free parking. Situated next door to a friendly pub serving home cooked dinners and carvery.
Slept very well in a very comfortable bed/ mattress. Very clean and friendly. All fixtures and fittings in perfect working order and a happy comfortable stay for the night.

• Stayed June 2014
Sleaford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Found this hotel with ease using sat nav. Outside the hotel is clean and tidy and plenty of parking (for free!) Not a huge hotel. Met at reception with friendly helpful staff. Gave us great help and advice on getting to the Etihad Stadium and advised us to use the tram, which is literally 5 mins away, saved alot of trouble driving into Manchester. Tram stop is right outside the Etihad Campus.
Snacks and drinks (alcoholic) available at the Travelodge reception. Also a pub/eatery right in car park (nextdoor to the hotel) which we had breakfast at the next morning. Reasonable price and menu, bit like weatherspoons chain of pubs.
Overall a nice, clean friendly hotel which is good value for money and great location if you are going to the Etihad Stadium. Good travel links for Manchester, so you dont need to drive. If we go to the Etihad Stadium again I would be more than happy to stay at Travelodge Ashton Under Lyne again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

This was a dirt-cheap deal through the Travelodge website. The hotel is a little away from Ashton town centre, but a couple of minutes drive along a decent road. We used the hotel to visit Manchester, so a 2 minute drive, free parking in Ashton train station and a 10 minute train ride to Manchester suited us perfectly. Also only a couple of minutes away from a leisure park with restaurants and a cinema. All good.

It looks like there's soon to be a tram station just down the road as well, making journeys even easier!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Apparently it's undergone refurb but I'm struggling to see where ?! The beds aren't comfy at all, no essentials in room hairdryer soap/shampoo, cleaners didn't take rubbish !
For service at reception you've to push a button for help, someone should be there at all times,

• Stayed May 2014

Been to Travelodge Ashton Under Lyne? Share your experiences!