“The Sunday Carvery” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Dolphin

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St. Ives
The Dolphin
Save Saved
You added The Dolphin to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bridge Foot & London Road, St. Ives PE17 4EP, England   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in St. Ives
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“The Sunday Carvery”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

My sister booked the table and we were seated by the window. We had a nice view of the river. Our drinks and starters were quickly ordered and arrived shortly. The carvery had a good choice of meats (4), a fish and also a vegetarian dish. The main dish was served to us and we added the vegetables we wanted.
But our plates were still not cleared so we piled them in the middle. I enjoyed my meal (the lamb) but I though my mothers braised steak was dry. A different waitress cleared our plates and although we had not complained, apologized for neglecting us. Not understanding the system we asked about desserts and were directed to the desserts cart. We were not asked if we wanted another drink from the bar and later, if we wanted a coffee (although there were coffee cups on the table).
We will probably eat there again. St Ives is a loverly place to visit. No one complained about the food. The service is not much different from other places we have been! Now I know it was a carvery and not a buffet I will have a starter!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights on business, I checked in smoothly enough and was given the keys to my executive room, stayed in room 69. This room was a large room with a double bed and single bed and lots of space with an amazing view over the meadow and over the river, the room was dated and basic . The bathroom was a good size but the shower was not very powerful, when checked in noticed there was an old soap bar wedged under one of the tap handles from a previous guest, this wasn't removed for a further 2 days by housekeeping, the toilet also upon entering the room for the 1st time was left with toilet paper around the rim by obviously housekeeping or previous guest. Dining in the restaurant was an experience, dinner was more like a carvery affair, you go up pick your main which has been stewing for a while and then help yourselves to veg etc, not the best. Was offered a desert on the first night so thought i'd give them a try , well I thought i had been thrown back into the 1970's, the guy wheeled over the trolley that had no cover and had been sitting in the restaurant for a few hours and starting pointing and naming each desert, picked my choice which was dry and had no ideal if any flies had landed on it in all that time, how many hotels in this day and age have deserts on a trolley that wheel to the guests! The whole hotel appears to need a revamp, the food, the decor, the staff, such a shame because you won't probably find a hotel in a nicer location around this area as you can sit outside on the patio area watching the boats go by as you have a drink.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river or meadow view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I stay in this area about 4 times a year and for 1 to 3 nights each time. Having stayed in most hotels in the area I thought I would give dolphin a try. My mistake. I think when it was built it would have been up to date and very modern but that's years ago.
Everything is dark, gloomy and worn out. The walls of the main building are half clad in dark wood floors in dark, worn out carpets. In the annex where I stayed it took me a while to work out what it smelt like. Remember throat pasties called 'Tunes'? The cherry variety is the smell I'm thinking of. Not really unpleasant but what is it hiding? Bed hard, shower on the bath taps and damaged. As for the TV.... The most penny pinching thing I've seen in an hotel. Screen about the size of the one on my laptop!
On the plus side it was a nice evening so I had a good beer sat on the patio overlooking the river and went out to dinner.
Would I stay again? Not until they refurbish the place.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these St. Ives hotels

Bangor, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Hotel was £80 for a night the room smelt and was not that clean.
Hotel in need in of a serious overhaul, in the bedrooms. The Bathrooms had pit missing and broken with selotape on the doors to cover holes, from missing hooks. Also was rubbish on the floor from previous guests. The bed unconvertible and there was a door in the room for the neighbouring room which was uncomfortable. Was noises in the night due to guest arriving back late.
Breakfast was not great ether.
The hotel has potential due to the nice location and view.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
southend
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stayed here 28th june for a large function. The family room was very good size but is desperately in need of a refurb. Its very dated and tired. Bizarrely the bathroom is new and very modern but the rooms and furniture have seen better days. The double bed was tiny and very springy. The breakfast times are not great for a sunday morning 7.30 till 9.30am. We heard lots of people complaining about this. During the week its fine but not after a very late function. The rooms are a little on the high side considering the hotels facilities. Not sure id stay here again until its improved. 90 pounds a room should provide a better quality stay than what we got. The reception staff are very nice and give a warm welcome.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Chatteris, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Myself and my husband stayed here to celebrate a friends wedding. We got a discounted rate but still at eighty pounds for the night we felt this was overpriced. The room we had was spacious, and it was very dated also the bathroom left a lot to be desired, tiles round the bath were missing a lot of grouting rust under the hand basin and when I first went into this room it was very musty. TV was very small, but the bed was clean and comfortable. The staff were all lovely and every effort was made to make sure we enjoyed our stay. As another reviewer said the breakfast looked dry and like it had been laid out too long and we were early to breakfast as well. Bar snacks were average. All in all we would not consider staying here in the future. The one redeeming factor of this hotel is the amazing location.

Room Tip: Consider premier inns instead
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Went for Sunday lunch - booking is advisable as this is a popular venue. Set menu @ £18.00 and well worth it. Starters are good portions and the ensuing carvery is delicious. The new potatoes are particularly good. Dessert is also a good selection with cheese & biscuits available.
We arrived promptly at 1pm for our booking and were the last to leave at 3pm with no rushing us.
Great staff, really friendly. Great location by the river.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Dolphin? Share your experiences!