“Faulty Towers!” 2 of 5 stars

Needingworth Road, St. Ives PE27 5JP, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in St. Ives
“Faulty Towers!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We stayed here as we were attending an event on-site, would not have chosen to stay here otherwise.

On arrival the receptionist was very friendly and showed us to the room which was a little dated but seemed clean. We chose to dine off site as there was no-one in the restaurant so did not have an atmosphere.

The trouble started the next morning when our shower didn't work. I had to get dressed and walk to reception as there was no notice of how to dial reception from the phone in the room. The chap I spoke to couldn't help as he was too busy with breakfast. He said to give it 10mins as everybody has probably showered at once! I knew this wasn't the problem as I was getting hot water out of the tap. I informed him of my urgency ( had a wedding to go too) and he agreed to come over and fix it. Came over tried it himself and said yes it is broken! I told him that! He offered us another room to shower in nut when I suggested we move to the other room completely he said it was only a single room. Went to this room to use the shower, got in and about 3 trickles of water came out. Was rather annoyed by this time so decided to shower in my parents room. Got in their shower and managed to pull it off the wall!

Not great and still after all this time still had to wait for breakfast as a member of staff was sick. I informed the chap that this was not my problem and if I'd booked 3 double rooms I'd expect a table for breakfast together.

On check-out I informed the chap I was not paying the total rate for my room. He would not give me any discount. After about 15mins I got £50 off. The rate was £80 b&b and that was the special rate !

The hotel inspector would not be impressed.

• Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We travelled to St. Ives on motorbikes and the duty manager, realising this, and completely unprompted, offered us a change of room to a ground floor room accessed directly off the rear car park so we could "keep an eye" on our bikes ! How very thoughtful of him - especially as he then had to run around fetching extra towels and tea making stuff. The facilities were all pretty standard but clean and comfortable. We ate in their restaurant one evening and the meal was very good - we'd recommend you try it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I'll begin with our arrival, we arrived at approximately 5pm to find that our room was not ready, in fact from the language and actions of the receptionist it appeared we were not expected (I had booked through the internet). The receptionist queried our booking of a family room several times before asking if we could go away and come back a bit later (not his exact words), we declined his request and asked for some coffee as we sat and waited for our room to be prepared. Our room was ready within 30 or so minutes and I was taken to the room leaving my family to finish the coffee. The room was okay but it smelt unaired and the the extra beds (we had booked a 'family' room) consisted simply of a thin and flimsy convertible sofa. Fortunately all this was forgotten during the wedding celebrations (held at the hotel). The following morning we went down for breakfast and were asked to eat in the conservatory as there was a party booking eating in the dining room. However upon entering the conservatory we had to wait whilst a table and chairs were set up for us to eat, no apology was offered. We sat and ordered breakfast from a rather surly waitress. Coffee arrived quickly and some toast not long after, both were good, however we had only just started to tuck into the toast and coffee when the cooked breakfast arrived and everything had to be shunted around on the table to accommodate all the food, the cooked breakfast was of poor quality, one small chipolata, some cold fried bread, over cooked poached egg and an uncooked tomato, oh and one small rasher of bacon. Finally to add to the bad impression we found out that we were charged an extra 10% on top of the rack rates for booking online! Should we have complained when we checked out, yes. Did we, no, a hangover and the need to get home quickly prevented any long conversation, however I have copied the hotel into this feedback and I await their response. In summation, unless you have to stay at this hotel I really would look to book elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thornaby on Tees, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

stayed for three nights. The room we were given was dirty, dust and conffeti under bed.The bathroom looked as though it had not been sweeped for days as there was conffeti in there to.The floor had not been hoovered, the ligth switches were filthy. Had to wipe them down.The only good thing about it was that the bedding was spotless and the towles were lovely and clean. Apart from that there is nothing else to say. Have sent them 2 e-mails and am still waiting for a reply. Complained about room and it was hoovered on wednesday, under the bed and thats all, no where else. Were leaveing on thursday morning. Went to pay the bill and the girl just took the money never asked if we had a good time or nothing. Will not be staying there again. My advice is do not stay there.

Room Tip: don,t stay there
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

rubbish stay, last time I stayed here the shower would not work and my room was dirty with cobwebs everywhere and a very tired looking room, I gave it one more shot last night and the carpet in my room was filthy with dirt and debris all over the carpet in front of a setee which was so tired and bowed in the middle all it was fit for was the skip. The bed was clean and that was the only good thing. Weak orange squash for breakfast, no juice in sight. Completely over rated and will never stay there again

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Peterborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

On arrival there was nobody on reception just a chap that looked as if he should have been on a building site was using the computor. I was a little un-settled by this as he was the first person that I met before the receptionist arrived. He did not speak just looked at me!!
When the reception lady arrived she was very friendly and helpful. She showed me to my room. The first room I was given was "extremely dated" clean but looked like a "make shift" bed with no valance sheet, old scratched furniture that went out with the ark however the sheets and bedding looked lovely and clean. I ask for another room and was put into what was described as an executive room..............possibly it was in 1990 however it was slightly better. Again the sheets were lovely and clean but the bathroom and the bedroom area was grubby. All the wall tiles needed a good clean and freshen up and the lights in the bedroom ceiling were dirty. Breakfast was in the conservatory and served by very friendly polite staff but the it was very cold. However the outlook from the conservatory was awful. It looked like a back yard dump! It could be made nice with a bit of work on it. We did not eat in the restaurant and drink in the bar but it did look quite nice and I would have been happy to have done so. This hotel looks tired and in desparate need of a re-furbish a good clean, re-paint and a general freshen up.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
preston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

the most important thing i think you need from a bed & breakfast establishment is a comfortable bed especially after driving all day and having another long day to come. the twin room i stayed in had two rock hard beds and even though i stripped off one and piled all the bedding on top it didnt help. you shouldnt have to do that ! didnt sleep well of course. not good. water pressure was a problem, had to run a bath as the shower was so poor. the rest of the room wasnt too bad. decent t.v. warm room and plenty tea & coffee. plenty of parking and handy for town centre. didnt have breakfast so cant comment on that.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Oliver's Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!