Myself, wife and little child have been spending 5 nights in Le Capanne. The residence is on a mountain side, which provide a stunning view over the city of Pisa and surroundings. However, the place is remote: 10 mins (of hairpin curves) by car from San Giuliano Terme, which in turn is 15 mins from Pisa. This would not be a problem if Le Capanne would provide the services you need... but these are the facts:
- breakfast is (extra and) served from 8 to 9.30 am; miss it (I'm on holidays, right? can I sleep a bit longer?) and nothing else, not even coffee or tea, will be available until lunchtime. If by lunchtime there's another reception going on (it happened twice during our 5 days stay), the kitchen won't be available for you. They were kind enough to provide us with a sandwich though. Dinners: we didn't even try.
- no kettle/tea/coffee facility in the rooms. We couldn't get boiled water for preparing formula milk for the baby. Not even after asking: "We don't provide this service" is the sentence you'll be likely to hear each time from your host.
- the maids cleaning the rooms knock on your door at 8.30 am (clearly you should be at breakfast by then).
- cleaning the room, however, is just about resetting your bed and delivering extra towels and toilet paper. After 5 days we had many towels, and all wet since there's nowhere in the room where to hang them to dry. The bin was not emptied, not even once in 5 days, we had to do it. The room has never been vacuum cleaned.
- we were in Le Capanne for a wedding on the coming weekend (the reception was in Le Capanne itself), so we asked for an iron and a board: "We don't provide this service" is the sentence you'll be likely to hear each time from your host (did I already mention it?).
- forget any room service, laundry, soap in your room...
- the rooms are poorly insulated: you can ear people from the other rooms and from the staircase.
Hence, the place is good if you just need to sleep, have a swim in their (unheated) pool and stare at the countryside. Unless you want to diet, get an apartment (more expensive than rooms) since it features a basic kitchenette, so you can buy food in the supermarkets in town and prepare it yourself. For the rest, you'll be spending your days out visiting places. If you look for a place where to be pampered instead, simply forget it: they don't provide this service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The locals call this "paradiso," and quite rightly so. The Residence Capanne is well worth the steep and winding climb for its spectacular, unbeatable views extending to Pisa. From the pool and flowered terraces, Pisa can clearly by seen in the middle of the plain below and it is just 4 km down to the little spa town of San Giuliano Terme. Restoration of this 17th C villa, and its cleverly converted five adjacent buildings, provide varied accommodation and the setting for a delightful restaurant. Stone steps link pathways and apartments to the main courtyard of the villa, with a parking area above. We are able to offer two self-catering apartments, both with a slightly different aspect. Simply furnished, they are equipped with kitchenettes designed for only light holiday cooking, to encourage guests to take full advance of the restaurant. When this is closed, a pizzeria opens in the courtyard below. Apart from the obvious attraction of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, it is also easy to make day trips to Lucca, Florence or Siena. The nearest good sandy beaches are to the found at Tirrenia, a short drive from Pisa. The splendid nature reserve of San Rossore, which stretches along the coast from Pisa to Livorno, is also well worth a visit-although check with the local tourist offices for opening times, which are restricted. Apt. Studio (2 people): ground floor living area with double bed, kitchen corner, bathroom with shower. Private equipped terrace with view. Apt. Bilocale (2+2 people): ground or first Floor living/dining room with kitchen corner (equipped with fridge, freezer, gas fires), double sofa bed, double bedroom, bathroom. Private and equipped area Apt. Trilocale (4+2 people): ground or first Floor living/dining room with kitchen corner (equipped with fridge, freezer, gas fires), double sofa bed, double bedroom, twin bedroom, bathroom. Private and equipped area 8 Dbl bedrooms with bathroom have been recently introduced on the second floor of the main building . All with TV Sat and Air Cond. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Le Capanne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Capanne Hotel San Giuliano Terme
- Le Capanne Province Of Pisa/San Giuliano Terme, Italy