We went with much trepidation after reading the reviews on this site expecting broken toilet seats etc!
As everyone says the loaction cannot be beaten, you could see the leaning tower of Pisa in the distancefrom the pool. The drive up hill was fine, not as bad as I expected, (allow a 7 min drive from village, and follow signs for Agriturisimo Le Capannne, ask for directions at information centre in village,on first floor, as the girl speaks perfect English and is very helpful).
Our two large rooms made an apartment, with 2 bathrooms, both extremely clean, intact toilet seats, and fantastic water pressure in one shower (not the other)
Rooms could do with a bit of updating - (broken lamps and horrible cheap pictures on walls etc - then it would be fantastic.
The kitchenette was more than I expected - a little odd that the hob and sink was housed in a cupbaord but the doors closed and kept everything neat. Each apartment had an outside terrace and table lots of people bought food and ate outside and the atmosphere was relaxed and friendly.
The chef is also the owner, very nice, but his miserable wife lets the place down.
We had AC the first day, but on the second it was turned off. When we enquired at reception she told us it was not included in the price! We told her we'd had it the first day and her husband had showed us how it worked etc. Then she changed her story (via one of the waitresses) and said that the apartment next door had complained as the unit was noisy on their roof. It was indeed on their roof, and I suspect very noisy.
Within 30 mins some maintainence guys came, fixed the noise, and we had A/C once more. My husband was less impressed by this place than I (said the staff made it a bit Faulty Towers like!
American 5 star luxury this is not, but rustic Italian it is - and that's what I wanted.
It's not perfect, but if it was it would be too expensive probably!
I've never been to a nicer pool, clean with breathtaking veiws, never too busy, always an available seat, (no need to put towels on beds!) The waterfall into the pool was great fun for the kids.
The restaurant was fantastic - one of the nicest meals we had in Italy, with the best views but you need to book and it was closed on Wednesday.
Looking at all the other hotels nearby I reckon this is the best of the bunch and gave us good value for money
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The locals call this "paradiso," and quite rightly so. The Residence Capanne is well worth the steep and winding climb for its spectacular, unbeatable views extending to Pisa. From the pool and flowered terraces, Pisa can clearly by seen in the middle of the plain below and it is just 4 km down to the little spa town of San Giuliano Terme. Restoration of this 17th C villa, and its cleverly converted five adjacent buildings, provide varied accommodation and the setting for a delightful restaurant. Stone steps link pathways and apartments to the main courtyard of the villa, with a parking area above. We are able to offer two self-catering apartments, both with a slightly different aspect. Simply furnished, they are equipped with kitchenettes designed for only light holiday cooking, to encourage guests to take full advance of the restaurant. When this is closed, a pizzeria opens in the courtyard below. Apart from the obvious attraction of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, it is also easy to make day trips to Lucca, Florence or Siena. The nearest good sandy beaches are to the found at Tirrenia, a short drive from Pisa. The splendid nature reserve of San Rossore, which stretches along the coast from Pisa to Livorno, is also well worth a visit-although check with the local tourist offices for opening times, which are restricted. Apt. Studio (2 people): ground floor living area with double bed, kitchen corner, bathroom with shower. Private equipped terrace with view. Apt. Bilocale (2+2 people): ground or first Floor living/dining room with kitchen corner (equipped with fridge, freezer, gas fires), double sofa bed, double bedroom, bathroom. Private and equipped area Apt. Trilocale (4+2 people): ground or first Floor living/dining room with kitchen corner (equipped with fridge, freezer, gas fires), double sofa bed, double bedroom, twin bedroom, bathroom. Private and equipped area 8 Dbl bedrooms with bathroom have been recently introduced on the second floor of the main building . All with TV Sat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Venere and Priceline so you can book your Le Capanne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Capanne Hotel San Giuliano Terme
- Le Capanne Province Of Pisa/San Giuliano Terme, Italy