Stayed only one night before visiting the Tower of Pisa the following morning. As other reviewers have noted the entrance road leading to the Hotel is a mountain goat track with a small turn off from Lucca – Pisa the road, but once we navigated it once, it was fine. Tip, if it is the first time heading there – when you feel you have gone too far just keep going as you cannot miss the hotel.
Upon arrival we were checked in quickly and the staff were kind enough to let us use their printer for our Pisa tickets. The room allocated to our brief 1 night stay was a 2 bedroom family villa with bedding for at least 4 people, 2 full bathrooms, full kitchen with full size fridge! This would be a great location for the traveling family.
The bed was comfortable and there was hot water with reasonable water pressure. The view from the hotel complex (and pool area) was over Pisa with the Leaning Tower and airport clearly visible. In fact you could hear the engines of planes landing and taking off which was amazing.
Unfortunately the night we stayed the gas in the restaurant was not working, otherwise we would have eaten there and enjoyed a delicious sounding menu and set dinner options including wine for 20-25 Euros.
+ The view is spectacular and for those who want to get out of the city this is a great option
+ The hotel is a mere 10-15 minute drive to Pisa (The Leaning Tower) first thing in the morning. This provided the perfect launch pad for our visit to the Tower
+ The villa was too big for my wife and I, but think it was great value for the traveling family
+ There was free WiFi in the reception area, we didn’t use it but a number of guests were taking advantage of this
+ A nice pool area and as mentioned restaurant/bar services are available
+ Staff are friendly and always willing to help
- You do need a car if you want to visit this hotel. Do not book if you are using public transport as you will never make it up the hill!
- Parking was located above the accommodation areas and the steps leading there was quite treacherous. There was also a shortage of parks for guests, this was mainly due to inefficient parking by guests rather than the allocation of space.
- Breakfast was an additional fee but we had to leave before it was available so cannot comment on the variety, quality or value.
- The towels were a thin tea-towel like to feel but very absorbent and worked well when jumping out of the shower!
Overall we enjoyed our stay at Hotel Le Capanne and would recommend it as an alternative for those wanting to unplug from the city, visit the Leaning Tower or just enjoy a more rural retreat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The locals call this "paradiso," and quite rightly so. The Residence Capanne is well worth the steep and winding climb for its spectacular, unbeatable views extending to Pisa. From the pool and flowered terraces, Pisa can clearly by seen in the middle of the plain below and it is just 4 km down to the little spa town of San Giuliano Terme. Restoration of this 17th C villa, and its cleverly converted five adjacent buildings, provide varied accommodation and the setting for a delightful restaurant. Stone steps link pathways and apartments to the main courtyard of the villa, with a parking area above. We are able to offer two self-catering apartments, both with a slightly different aspect. Simply furnished, they are equipped with kitchenettes designed for only light holiday cooking, to encourage guests to take full advance of the restaurant. When this is closed, a pizzeria opens in the courtyard below. Apart from the obvious attraction of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, it is also easy to make day trips to Lucca, Florence or Siena. The nearest good sandy beaches are to the found at Tirrenia, a short drive from Pisa. The splendid nature reserve of San Rossore, which stretches along the coast from Pisa to Livorno, is also well worth a visit-although check with the local tourist offices for opening times, which are restricted. Apt. Studio (2 people): ground floor living area with double bed, kitchen corner, bathroom with shower. Private equipped terrace with view. Apt. Bilocale (2+2 people): ground or first Floor living/dining room with kitchen corner (equipped with fridge, freezer, gas fires), double sofa bed, double bedroom, bathroom. Private and equipped area Apt. Trilocale (4+2 people): ground or first Floor living/dining room with kitchen corner (equipped with fridge, freezer, gas fires), double sofa bed, double bedroom, twin bedroom, bathroom. Private and equipped area 8 Dbl bedrooms with bathroom have been recently introduced on the second floor of the main building . All with TV Sat and Air Cond. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Le Capanne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Capanne Hotel San Giuliano Terme
- Le Capanne Province Of Pisa/San Giuliano Terme, Italy