“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 28 Pienza B&B and Inns
USA
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Fabulous boutique hotel in the heart of historic Pienza.
Great building (old nunnery) combining the historic structure with a polished, modern update.
Well furnished rooms with great bathrooms including Ortega toiletries.
Excellent restaurant on site with outstanding wine list.
John the owner is around and knows many of the great winemakers in the area so can arrange personal introductions.
Staff at the front desk are first class
Pienza is a great town to visit

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

So the night before we arrived at La Bandita, my girlfriend and I had an issue with our car rental place in Florence, and instead of the automatic we asked for, we had a manual that neither of us are capable of driving. We proceeded to call every car rental place from Florence to Siena, and realized no one had a car that was an automatic and available for us to rent. With that sinking feeling in your heart that something inconvenient was going to happen on a romantic trip to Italy, I had one last play left. The only person I had a contact for in the entire Tuscan region... La Bandita Owner: John.

I emailed John and told him our plight, asked him to call me back or email me back. It was, after all 8pm. John called back with in minutes with the pancea.
1) Calm Down, it's fine
2) Take a train here, and my driver will pick you up*
3) I will have an Automatic for you by tomorrow afternoon*
(* = they weren't free, John isn't THAT nice, but both were market price and he could have hammered me here, I would have paid in desperation and everything was very fairly priced).

My girlfriend and I, relieved by the fact that there was no longer the chance that only one of us was gonna make it back home would had gladly left a nice note on this wall on that alone... But thennnn we experienced La Bandita. And that alone deserves it's own praise, several times over. In all of our travels, separate and alone, we had never experienced a place like La Bandita, and it was just that, "an experience".

It's hard to sit here and say what our favorite parts were. But among them were these.
- The view, seriously, it's what heaven must look like. The 360 panoramic surrounding you make you feel like you're in the clouds of heaven. ok?

- The nightly communal dinners... freaking brilliant. How often in this day in age do you sit with other people and get to not only enjoy a freakishly good meal with other folks, but at dinner we would share our stories of traveling around that day. What to see, what not to see, how was this, how was that. After several glasses of amazing wine you've made new friends. If your an antisocial crab, you can always eat elsewhere, but lighten up, you're in Italy.

- The food, as I mentioned above. But after 2 weeks of traveling Italy, 3 of our favorite dishes came from the nightly dinners there, which were always amazing.

- The Staff, it's absurd how nice they were. Accommodating and willing to do just about anything you needed. They were all so incredible and knowledgeable about the surrounding towns as well. They were top notch and fantastic. Even when we popped our head into their sister hotel in Pienza the people there were so incredible to us, they made us feel like long lost friends with them.

- The pdf they email you after you book was insanely helpful and the recommendations on it were all 110% on. Never failed us once.

There's several other reviews on here that will further testify for how amazing this place was. It was a beautiful place and place my girlfriend and I think about still. It wasn't just a hotel you stayed at over night, it was a home and an experience. Even if just for 3 days.

Thank you La Bandita!

Midland Park, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The anticipation of the cypress lined roadway leading up to the house, proved to be as welcoming and wonderful as our stay. From the moment we arrived, meeting Marco, it felt like we were staying with friends. The dinners made by chef Dario were incredibly gourmet, making it pointless to dine out elsewhere. We met such interesting and wonderful people while staying there. We stayed 2 nights, but felt we needed to stay longer next time - and there will definitely be a next time! Thank you Jon and staff for our amazing time in Tuscany!

Room Tip: All rooms have incredible country-side views. All seem to have utmost privacy.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was made to feel at home straight away, actually better than home! My house is not as lovely as this. My room had a four poster bed, sunken bath with a patio looking out to gently rolling green hills and farmhouses. It is hard to believe such beauty exists on earth, heavenly. I helped the lovely chef Dario make the four course Tuscan dinner for everyone on the first night and watched the pizza making process and stayed near the blazing wood fired oven fire the next night. The communal guest dining area is beautiful and light and airy and has a fantastic record collection thanks to John's former profession in the record industry. The staff are Tuscan locals which makes a big difference, they can recommend places and things that are off the beaten track. Even the 'house wine' was outstanding, just beautiful! After a stressful few months at work in London I really enjoyed every moment of my relaxing stay and exploring the local towns. Looking forward to staying in their new townhouse in Pienza when I come back. Thank you La Bandita for a revitalising break!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Shanghai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is a beautiful place of the world and despite terrible weather the gorgeous position of the house in this area is undeniable. However, having spent 2 days here we left underwhelmed and feeling pretty ripped off. I could not agree more with one of the previous reviewers - the imagery on the site suggests that the rooms are high design - this could not be further from the truth. They are in fact a weird mix and match of Ikea style furniture - cheap and poorly conceived with little thought or personality. The bed linen was thin and the overall appearance of the room was tired. Note - had I paid 150euros for this I would have been delighted - but alas I paid substantially more...

Also - the rooms in the main house are very close together and the sound proofing lacking. We were lucky and had quiet neighbors but I would hate to think what it would have been like with more rowdy guests or kids as there is very little privacy. If the house was packed I think our stay would have been even worse.

On the plus side the food is really delicious and the staff lovely.

I think this house is great if you take over the whole thing with friends otherwise I would ignore the hype - I think there must be better places for your money in this region.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our family of four, including two girls aged 4 and 6, stayed at La Bandita for three nights in May. The staff is fantastic, the food is wonderful, the setting is spectacular, and the rooms are very comfortable. We especially fell in love with Dario the chef, who took such wonderful care of us. Each night he cooked a special dinner for the girls at 7pm so we could put them to bed right upstairs and then have a grown-up dinner with the other guests. On the third night Dario asked the girls to help him prepare dinner. They loved the experience and adored spending an hour cooking with him! We can't say enough good about this wonderful place!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This ia an idyllic place to stay: the location, the views, the swimming pool, and the main house itself are great …But what truly makes a stay at La Bandita such a fabulous experience are the local staff who make you feel at home the moment you walk in.

Elena, Paola, Simone, Dario could not have been more gentili, hospitable or friendly. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel a home: we were presented with a glass of wine and when we left we felt we were leaving friends.

I had a few mixed feelings when I first booked: What is this communal dining about, are we in the middle of nowhere? I shouldn’t have worried- La Bandita is truly a winning combination: a feeling of being at home, with fantastic Italian hosts, in one of the most beautiful places in Italy.

And you aren't far away from beautiful cities like Pienza and Montepulciano in case you feel like you need to leave the property....

The rooms at La Bandita are high-end minimalist, spacious, clean, the beds comfortable, the bathrooms enormous. The towels and bathrobes luxurious. The garden is beautiful and dotted across the property are areas where you can sit peacefully and look at the stunning views.

You can opt to eat dinner at la Bandita and I highly recommend this. The chefs make pasta by hand and every dinner was a 4 course Italian-style affair. There really is no need to eat out, the meals were delicious..Every dinner we had was delicious.

Congratulations to the team at La Bandita for making this such a wonderful place!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6. Sunny, with fantastic views of the Val d'Orcia, 4 poster bed, massive showe...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Bandita? Share your experiences!