“Beautiful, charming Tuscany getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Agriturismo Cretaiole di Luciano Moricciani

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pienza
Agriturismo Cretaiole di Luciano Moricciani
You added Agriturismo Cretaiole di Luciano Moricciani to your Saves list
via S. Gregorio 14, 53026 Pienza, Italy   |
Ranked #2 of 54 Specialty Lodging in Pienza
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boynton Beach, Florida
“Beautiful, charming Tuscany getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Thanks to Isabella, Carlotta, Carlo and Luciano. The views from anywhere on the property are spectacular. Our pasta making class and family style meal were fun and delicious. The group of Americans and Australians that were with us for the week were great. Our late night singing and drinking with Luciano were highlights. Don't miss the Siena guided tour with Antonella, the monastery dinner and, the tour and dinner at Sandra's cheese producing farm which can be arranged with Carlotta. Great location for visiting all the surrounding hilltop towns. Overall a great week.
Mille Grazie to the Cretaiole family.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
WashingtonDC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I have always wanted my mom to experience Europe. She is now 66 and in good health and retired and why not? I knew she would love Italy but I know my mom is not a city person, so I began my research. I looked up the UNESCO World Heritage sites and learned about Pienza and the Val d'Orcia. I'd never heard of either, so I was intrigued. The other thing I had to consider was my dad would also be coming. He and my mom are different travelers. She's more laid back and he can get restless. After more research, I came to find out about this wonderful agriturismo. I thought it would be the perfect place but I first contacted Isabella Moricciani who reassured me that the agriturismo would be a great place to either relax and watch the clouds go by or be as engaged in as many activities as we wanted to be. She was completely right, of course. When we first drove up to the property, we were greeted by Carlotta, Isabella's "guardian angel." She showed us to our rooms (L'Ovile and Il Granaio) and then Luciano came by and gave us fresh eggs and fresh ricotta. We also had pasta in the kitchen and a complimentary bottle of wine and olive oil. We were set! We were there for a week and I have to say, I hit it out of the ballpark when I chose Cretaiole. My parents could not have had a better time - socializing and dining with the other guests and with the amazing Moricciani family and the amazing and tireless Carlotta! The setting is gorgeous. I can't put it into words. I was shocked at how gorgeous green grassy hills could be...I've never seen anything like it. The winds made the grass move like waves - it was a sight to enjoy. The birds were different. The air was different. The clouds were different. I loved it there and I'm forever thankful to the Moricciani's hospitality. I had heard about Isabella's famous book chock full of activities and because of it, I did something I never do - zero research other than knowing how to get to the agriturismo. On Sunday, Isabella & Carlotta came to the agriturismo at 9am and discussed the weeks' schedule of activities and tried to get a head count on who and how many would like to participate in the activities. Therefore, I'm glad I didn't do any research as Isabella had already put together so many wonderfully intriguing activities and if you go with something in mind that isn't in her guide, feel free to ask about it and she'll help you get reservations or whatever you need. As far as activities go, we went to see the Romitorio (Estruscan tombs) which was a gorgeous way to get to see Pienza for the first time as well as the enchanting Pieve di Corsignano. We also went to the Moricciani family farm which was delightful even though it was raining on the day we went. I think this activity began at 10:30 or so and we ended up eating prosciutto and pecorino and drinking wine...it was amazing. My partner went on the photo safari and even though it was a foggy morning, she got some fantastic photos. We did the pici pasta making dining extravaganza - we all loved it. I went to various towns around...Montepulciano, Montalcino, Monticchielo, Bagno di Vignoni, Castelnuove dell'Abate, Abazzia d' Sant'Antimo. We did a tour of Siena. It was all fantastic. After the week at the agriturismo, we went to Elba (gorgeous) and then to Florence. However, no vacation I've ever gone on has matched this week at the Agriturismo Cretaiole. I will always cherish this time.

Room Tip: L'Ovile and Il Granaio combined beautifully for 4 people - a shared living/dining/kitchen area...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

A Cretaiole stay means meeting all kinds of very talented and dedicated people who really care about the Val d'Orcia, who have very good environmental and food politics and who are really a joy to be around. We were not disappointed in any of the activities we did - but we especially have to recommend going up to the monastery Santa Ana en Camprana (spelling?) to see the sunset, cooking with Roberto, seeing Sienna with Antonella and doing anything with Carlotta who is just lovely (Friendly tip: her husband is a brilliant pastry chef so even if you aren't celebrating a birthday pretend you are and have him make you a cake!)

Room Tip: We stayed in castel muzio and we think it's the nicest location.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Castro Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

When considering a week in Tuscany, Cretaiole should be at the top of everyones list. It's a great base location as everything is close, but you don't have to go anywhere at all to have breathtaking landscapes steps from your door. But that is all topped by the welcome feeling you get from Isabella, Carlo, Luciano, and Carlotta. It's like you become part of their family for a week.

But here's how to make it better... Don't miss the views from the off the beaten path gravel road that runs right next to their property. Simply veer right instead of going into their parking area and you'll be headed down a gravel road. In less than 100 yards, you'll see a view of the entire valley, and this goes on for about five or six miles. It's a stunning view of the Val D'Orcia and you're living right there. Also, make sure you take the time to have some grappa with Luciano. Even if you don't like grappa, hanging out with Luciano is an experience to be cherished. Oh, and it goes without saying that the house wine, made by Carlo, is especially tasty.

Beyond that, I urge you to stay flexible and consider doing some things you might not have thought of. There is a weekly schedule of optional events that you will receive when you arrive. The pasta making and dinner is an obvious must, but try something you might not normally do, ie. dinner in a monastery, a painting class, etc. The list is extensive, almost cruise ship like, and being able to go with other guests makes some events even more special. And, of course, buy some local fare and try your own hand at Tuscan cooking in your room.

If you want to experience Tuscany and do it with a smile on your face everyday, spend a week at Cretaiole. You'll be very happy you did.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Cretaiole for one week. Neither of us had been to Italy and I was pleasantly surprised at how organized everything was. I did a lot of research on what I wanted to do while in Tuscany and most of the things that I wanted to do were also recommendations by Isabella in our Discover Tuscany book provided in our room. The planning meeting first thing on Sunday was a great way to meet others staying at Cretaiole and hear about activity options, it was so helpful for Carlotta to book everything for us that we wanted to do. It really saved us time. The family was so welcoming and friendly throughout our stay and met many great people who were also enjoying vacation time at Cretaiole.

The apartment we had was perfect for the two of us and it was nice to have the option to cook vs eating out some nights. The landscape and environment are so beautiful it looks like it is out of a movie...well some parts are! We can't wait to get back to Italy. We saw other places while driving throughout the area and I would definitely stay at Cretaiole again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

what an opportunity! My husband was not as excited as I was to spend a week on a farm in the middle of the Val d'Orcia , but our week there made him a convert! what was not to like? the scenery was glorious, with the emerald winter wheat glistening in the sun, the tiny yellow and blue flowers blooming under the olive trees and the grape leaves just beginning to open. the view from the farm was breathtaking. with all of the activities offered, we had something to look forward to daily, but still had time to explore on our own without feeling rushed. the farm was a nice change of pace from visiting Florence and Siena, both busy with little greenspace. Our hosts, the Morrecani's could not have been more delightful, and have thought of everything we might imagine. Not sure what my favorite moment was, but having a watercolor class ranks very high. try to get there. you will not be sorry!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This review will probably sound like a mere echo of all the others here but it is extremely difficult NOT to sing the praises of Cretaiole and the staff/family that manages the property. We traveled with a diverse group (2 seniors, 4 adults and a toddler) and found Cretaiole's largest apartment to be perfect for our needs. Isabella thoughtfully provided us with a baby cot, baby bath (since all the bathrooms had only showers) and a high chair at no extra expense and our daughter loved playing out in the yard with the kids' toys (and with the cats!). As for the adults, we couldn't agree on a favorite experience as we had so many ... sipping Cretaiole's complimentary wine as we looked over the stunningly green Val d'Orcia, curling up next to the fire on chilly evenings, or the pasta making lesson and jovial guest/family dinner that tied up our week. The list of extra activities insured that we'll have to come back to cover them all! Carlotta, Isabella and Carlo were always around and quick with assistance and spot-on restaurant reservations and our evenings with Luciano (and his homemade vin santo and grappa) were memorable. If you are planning to go to Italy, don't miss out on this slice of Tuscan heaven.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Agriturismo Cretaiole di Luciano Moricciani? Share your experiences!