“above and beyond” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
dallas
“above and beyond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had a special occasion hosted here, and this restaurant did not disappoint! The food was beyond five stars. Everything is fresh, either caught or picked out from the local markets everyday. The owners and staff are so friendly, they make you feel like family. We had some more unique dishes, such as the lightly fried anchovies, shrimp and baby octopus, and even sea snails! Don't be afraid to go out of your comfort zone, everything is so deliciously prepared. And it is located right on the national, waterfront. I imagine it is heaven in the summer, but even cloudy and chilly it was wonderful.

• Visited January 2013

Limerick, Ireland
“Bad value for money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Tired surroundings and decor. Food acceptable but overpriced. Fish plate main course with 1Lt. carafe house wine for 3 persons and two deserts preceded by a fish pasta starter costing €120.00. No menus with prices were provided. Orders were taken by waiter on a brown sheet of paper which was presented to me as the bill. Dissapointing and wont be returning.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Haifa, Israel
“Da evitare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

We came to Marina di Pisa with the special goal to eat in this restaurant, recommended by the book "Tasting Tuscany".
We were terribly disappointed.
The food was horrible. The price was exorbitant.
Da evitare.

• Visited September 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank shunra
“Seaside paradiso. The food is music”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Traveling solo , I have been indulging myself in Beth Elon's A culinary Traveller in Tuscany. I planned to eat here before I picked up friends from Pisa airport, only 15minutes away. The service from Mario (the big name in restaurant welcomes ) and Tanya was amazing , it was like they had been waiting for me to arrive, when I showed them my Elon book it was like a passport to the kitchen of his brother Dino , with book signing and photos done , I was well on the ride, I wasn't even offered a menu, mini plates of sample continued to flow from the maestro ,each more magnificent than the last , the seafood insalata was bliss. Whilst there were only three other tables of people we were treated like special guests -each table kindly assisting in my woeful Italian . If I could have I would have spend all day there.

• 4 of 5 stars
Raanana
“Art of cooking seafood - the best dining experience in Italy so far...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

We read about "La Taverna dei Gabbiani" in a book about the Tuscan cookery while planning our family trip to Italy in August. And as we were going to spend a few days on the Tuscan coast not far from Marina di Pisa, we wrote this restaurant into our itinerary connecting it with a few hours trip to Lucca. As we did not know Italian and managed to make a reservation only with a help of one guy on the beach, we were afraid a little bit about our communication abilities but when we came to the taverna we were welcomed by Mario and waitress Tanya who spoke in our mother tongue (Russian) - so we got the best possible explanations and recommendations for our order.
We greatly enjoyed all dishes which were created by magician Dino - every kind of 9 antipasti and grilled fish accompanied by homemade olive oil and white wine from Bolgheri could not be described - it simply need to be tasted! And all this was in a simple athmosphere of taverna with a heartly help of Tanya and Mario and with a view to a magic sunset over the sea. Unforgettable!
During our trip we visited several cities in Tuscany and Rome and tried to use TripAdvisor's recommendations for restaurants as much as possible, but "La Taverna dei Gabbiani" was undoubtedly our best experience.