“Restaurant has all the atmosphere of a rest home” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Antico Albergo Terme
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Del Peretaio 1, 55021 Bagni di Lucca, Italy   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bagni di Lucca
Auckland, New Zealand
“Restaurant has all the atmosphere of a rest home”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is a rating of the restaurant only. We cannot understand how this place had a Michelin guide 2013 sticker on the window (knicked from somewhere perhaps). We were given a piece of paper that listed three first courses, three second courses, three sides and one fruit item, each with tick boxes next to them where we were to indicate which ones we wanted. No prices and no English explanation. Stupidly, we assumed it was a fixed price set menu so we ticked something for each course (we would otherwise have just had one course each). My friend ordered the fusilli. I truly don't know how she ate it... It was dry pasta as opposed to fresh and was thoroughly undercooked. My risotto di pomodori simply involved some tomato paste. Second course of prosciutto and pecorino was very good but my accompanying side salad was full of brown bits and my friend's side of potatoes were soaked in so much oil you couldn't notice any potato texture when eating them. I skipped the fruit part but my friend had an apple. We were a little nervous about paying the bill (back up at the hotel's reception). It turns out this was not a set menu at all and each item was priced individually. The pièce de resistance was that the apple cost 4 euro. Moral of the story? Regardless of the language barrier ask if you have questions! Would have been helpful if the receptionist had explained how the restaurant worked given she did speak English and the restaurant staff did not.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
albergoterme, Direttore at Hotel Antico Albergo Terme, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
I deeply regret the disappointment for your stay.
In our restaurant we offer a three choice menu that changes every day, as well as the possibility of having a quick-light-lunch outside especially for those who have spa treatments. At the hotel reception, as you confirmed, all the receptionits speak english, show the menu, and remain at disposal for any information needed. In the reception, as prescripted by italian laws, price lists are hanged.
We are proud of the quality of our restaurant, selected by Michelin, as proved by the sticker on the window (you can enquire Michelin if in any doubt).
We are sorry we didn’t have the chance to help you, considering you didn’t complain about anything during lunch or at the moment of the bill. it would have helped to avoid your unpleasant day.
We deeply hope to be able to host you again so as to ensure a pleasant and enjoyable stay in Bagni di Lucca .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Varese
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

It was a random choice by me as I had heard about the famous Bagni, so thought I would give it a go. Did an Internet search and this hotel came up as the first choice with both access to the Grotta and being a hotel. Sometimes research is important.

Anyway, my first impressions is that the Bagni Di Lucca Hotel was just a little tired. As I was there I thought I would give it a go. I have only ever been to one other spa type resort and that was in Indonesia, very modern, up to date and a different experience.

So now that I was here, to make the most of it, a walk in the tree filled mountains was very relaxing in itself.
I did walk down to Ponte a Serraglio to have a glass of wine in the early evening, as I had only arrived a couple of hours before. I should of perhaps had dinner down there as it seemed quite an interesting little town, but I had already pre-booked dinner in the hotel.
The dinner was done on a limited pre set menu where you go to chose one dish each sitting, so I had a pasta with crab which I have to say was delicious, the second was a squid in red (tomato) sauce, which was also lovely but heavy, accompanied by spinach. The dining room is a bit aged and was a bit sad really, but the waiter (can't recall his name was a very nice bloke).

Breakfast the next morning, in the same room, was very spartan. Which was a real pity, expecting fruits if nothing else in a Spa.

So I went to the Grotta! Paid the 20€, I think! Was it worth it? I guess as you are there you have to do it. It's just like a hot sauna, possibly, the impression I got, a little bit less well maintained than a Swedish sauna, but it was natural, 46° and 100% humidity. So 20 minutes of sweating, has to be good right?

After that was done, had a deep tissue massage which was good (needed).

So overall, considering that it was about 30km North of Lucca, would I do it gain? No. I've done it now, and it was OK, it was an experience. If you have days to spare and you're over a certain age, then maybe it suits.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Took a day spa experience at the neighboring renowned Adler Spa and Hotel, which does not live up to its name. This hotel however was a great choice with a small but fine room and a good spa area of its own with a termal pool. Had everything one might need and a good choice while visiting this area. For its price and star-rating, it's perfectly fine.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Oakland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

It was worth it, if only for the small but serene thermal pool....floating on my back, watching the green hills and sky through the window. We loved the town and the beautiful hills, and took great hikes, right behind the old church by the inn. Instead of dinner there, we wisely had a picnic in our room, with food from the local market. Breakfast was not bad, and the waiter was really nice. Our room was clean and the bathroom spacious.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012 via mobile

The only good thing about this hotel was the thermal pool and that was only average. The view was great from our room but everything about the hotel is old and tired. The american receptionist was lovely and was very helpful. Dinner was included in the rate but was horrible....the worst food we have eaten in Italy, and breakfast was just a few scrapes by the time we got to it. Not a good experience

Stayed March 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011 via mobile

The good:
-nice clean room (stayed in 'superior')
-nice location, village, and view
-super friendly staff
The bad:
-the hotel pool wasnt hot at all
-the natural hotspring was small
-the massage was one of those where you get covered in oil and rubbed instead of massaged...
-it was expensive! I forgot some places charge per person / per night so i was excited at first to know the price, not so much at checkout when i realized it...

Overall there are better thermal spas for the price in my opinion like "Terme di Rapolano", "Bagno Vignoni" and "Saurnia", all in Tuscany...

• Stayed December 2011
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I went many times to this hotel that is directly linked to the thermal spa.
People are very kind and friendly, rooms are spacious and well equipped.
High quality staying with low price!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Antico Albergo Terme? Share your experiences!