“30 Year Jack Pot! What A Great Time!” 5 of 5 stars

Castello di Leonina Relais
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Strada Di Leonina 5, 53041 Asciano, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Asciano
Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario, Canada
“30 Year Jack Pot! What A Great Time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

On a whim and a prayer Doug and I for our 30th Wedding Anniversary decided to go for it all.
She really wanted to see some of old architecture that only Italy and Greece have to offer. Little did we know that Castello di Leonina Relais had so much more to offer us. The stay was out of our dreams. The menu was authentically delicious while the rooms offered a level of luxury we felt spoiled to enjoy.

Even though the evening dinners were somewhat loud, we would often escape the culture shock and sit by the pool or take a long evening walk in the rolling country side.

It was definitely a high point of our vacation, Doug and I can not say enough how much we enjoyed ourselves. I would like to thank all the staff who were very polite and made our stay wonderful. We both hope to return again if at all possible.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

sunflowers welcomed us and accompanied all the time and this we will never forget! The castle is located on a small hill and from the windows you can enjoy a splendid view! The rooms ooze a nice atmosphere of "old" but have all the modern facilities, staff is nice and always helpful! Great dinner and good wines! Great massages on request with a really professional and highly qualified staff! An excellent holiday, not only for couples but also for families with children! Only two small notes: use fresh flowers not plastic ones and change the orange juice!

Room Tip: suite Leonina!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Berlino
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Thanks to a stunning location with breathtaking views, a dedicated team that you can rely on and amazing food and wine, we managed to organize our wedding from far away heavily relying on the director Renato Cirillo, who has great experience in organizing weddings.

We always had the feeling to be in good hands. Every team member from the waiter to the receptionists did everything possible to make us and our guests feel special. There was no wish that was "impossible", everybody had a great attitude!

Thank you Castello di Leonina for everything!!!

Daria & Mario

Room Tip: Sono tutte diverse noi siamo stati nella Chigi che e stata molto bella con vista sulla corte interna
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We celebrated our wedding in Leonina in May 2013.
The staff were fantastic, I worried about planning a wedding from the uk but I didn't need to. the staff were fabulous and often prompted me to consider things that I hadn't even thought of.
They organised hairdresser, florists, registrar & the wedding cake for us.
The staff in Leonina have fantastic English which made everything so much easier.
Nothing was too much trouble, they always replied promptly to my emails and when needed were at the end of the phone.
Three children attend our wedding and they catered for them without hesitation.

We sat indoors due to poor weather and had a dedicated waiter who was brilliant.

The food, as always in Leonina, was second to none. We have eaten there on three separate occasions over a two year period and it has always been fantastic. The wine was also fabulous.

Accommodation was brilliant. I booked all the suites and all guests commented on how lovely they were.

We were made to feel like Kings & Queens. We will be returning to Leonina very soon and hopefully for years to come.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Newville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is one of the best quality hotels I've stayed in during my travels. Not only that but the surrounding area is beautiful and there was a lot for me to do. Which was very important since I was travelling solo. The hotel itself is gorgeous and very elegant. The staff is also very accomdating and they made some excellent recommendations as to the best places to eat and shop. One time my food was delivered to my room cold and they got my breakfast order wrong, however the staff had no issues correcting their mistake. They also honored my room preference and they actually gave me my request for the room with a spectacular view on the top floor. The price of the hotel is spot on considering you're basically sleeping in a castle and treated like a royal. My price was $207 per night (US dollars) and I definitely felt like I got my money's worth. My favorite parts would have to be the mere fact that you're in a castle, I love the elegance, I like that it wasn't noisy and the swimming pool was relaxing, though small and no noisy or rowdy partying people.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Being an avid traveller of Italian heritage, I have made it a yearly resolution to explore Italy and find those hidden gems, bursting with culture and beauty, which 'Castello di Leonina Relais' most certainly is.

Myself and my partner decided to visit Tuscany this year, as we were looking for something a bit different from our usual trip. We were looking for history, beautiful landscapes and a great place to stay, and that is exactly what we got. The location was spot on. A castle in those incredible surroundings… It was like a fairytale. We were recommended by family friends who visit this hotel/area every year, but I was skeptical as it is quite remote and neither of us drive, but that actually proved to be a benefit and suited us greatly, it was the perfect get-away. It was our anniversary, so we wanted to make it extra special and went for the suite, which was divine! The decor was authentic and made you feel like absolute royalty. There was a homely feel about it which I loved, although my home has never been that nice! The bed wasn't quite as comfy as it looks and I had to ask for extra pillows, to which the staff politely obliged.

The restaurant, although slightly slow at first and perhaps a bit expensive, delivered food to die for. Totally authentic and I can't deny, my mouth was watering as it arrived at our table.

I didn't get to experience the wellness centre, which a few other visitors had told me was a must for relaxation… I guess I'll have to visit again next year. ;-)

Room Tip: If you can afford the suite, it's definitely worth it!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I went to Italy with my boyfriend and stayed at the beautiful Castello di Leonina Relais on our trip. The building is a converted medieval castle in Siena. It was once home to the Chigi family and Pope Alexander VII.
Staying in an actual castle made me feel like a queen! The rooms are very nice and we even had our own mini bar and fireplace. The price is fair for what we got. Staff was attentive and very helpful. I had some problems getting on their internet at first, but the staff was able to help me. We had no major problems. We went to the fitness center a couple of times and I got a massage on my last night which was very relaxing.

The restaurant at the hotel is Il Balcone di Leonina. The food was pretty good, but not my favorite in Italy. Other restaurants are not in walking distance which was not much of a problem for us since we had rented a car.

The area surrounding the hotel is very beautiful and we had great scenery. We had a great view of the Tuscan countryside and got great photos around the area. I was sad to leave the Tuscan countryside and beautiful castle when we left.

Overall, I would recommend staying at the Castello di Leonina Relais for a romantic getaway in Italy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Castello di Leonina Relais? Share your experiences!