“New Year 2014” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 28 hotels in Passo del Tonale
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“New Year 2014”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Just returned from Passo Tonale staying at the Cielo Blu travelling as two couples. The plus points of the hotel are as follows: The staff are great, especially Angelo, Rosa ,Gregorio (the sommelier) in the dining room served us with attention and a fabulous sense of humour, Elisa in the bar was also very pleasant and offered service with a smile as did Antonio on reception. There is plenty of hot water, the bathroom was spacious with toilet, bidet, sink and the shower was big enough for me to reach my feet (not that I'm that large, rather some shower cubicles abroad are very small). The food is good if not great with a good choice every evening of buffet salad first course, a choice of starters then mains which always had a meat, fish and vegetarian choice then dessert (no choice), overall we thought the food was good generally. The wine was excellent value ranging from €11 to €13 for the local Trentino wines, we did not try the house wine but other guests said it was acceptable. Bar prices were reasonable and in line with the bars we visited. Our bedroom was spacious with three single beds of which two were close together and easily pushed next to each other if required, note the cleaners always separated them the next day to make them up I suspect. The third bed was great for dumping the ski clothes on. The room had a large wardrobe and enough space for our needs. We had room 202 which is at the back of the hotel and we had no noise at all and a mountain view, our friends were at the front of the hotel (room 203) and suffered some road noise. The ski locker room has individual lockers which are lockable and boot warmers are provided. Distance form lifts is good 200m one direction and 300m in the other direction, so no ski bus required. Après Ski for us was mainly visiting the El Bait bar just 70m away where they had a good range of beers and served snack from 4.30 to 7pm, saying this most bars offered snacks with drinks, the attraction of El Bait for us was it comfortably busy and had atmosphere but was not crazy with loud thumping music, for that you needed to visit the umbrella bar at the far end of the slopes. Another bar we visited once or twice which we found pleasant was the El Botte which was about 150m towards the main slopes. Beer and food prices around Passo and the mountain huts was very reasonable with beer working out at around €1 per 10cl, a pasta or pizza dish averaging €8.
The bad points, the way to the ski room is treacherous (sloping with parts without a rail) and as the hotel frowns on people walking through the hotel in ski boots then the path had to be negotiated. Although breakfast offered a good selection of food there was no hot options except for toast and the toaster took forever.
Be aware that Passo Tonale is basically one road with a loop and there are no pavements to speak of, therefore walking to the lift and bars meant walking on the road and traffic was passing us regularly and making us move in to let them pass.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel, its quieter and the views better.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

The Cielo Blu hotel in PassoTonale is a great place to stay, the hotel staff are very friendly especially the catering team. The food was plenty full and very tasty, the wine was ace and a great price at 11 euro a bottle! From speaking to people on the ski lifts and the bars the food at this hotel is much better quality and we had a much better range though out the week.
Our room was fine for the weeks stay there was no problem at all with noise, we stayed in 101. The boot room worked fine with lockable storage and boot warmers!

Overall a great place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Louny, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

This hotel is very nice and people here are very friendly and helpful. It was lovely holiday. The are is exelent for wihinter time. You should go there!! Thank you for your hospitality. We will come back soon.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

5 minute walk to the lifts and if you're careful and the snow is favourable you can ski to about 30 metres away.

Our room was pretty cramped, my girlfriend insisted on calling it 'cute'. But we hardly spent much time in there except for sleeping.

The food was nice, you had three choices every night which you booked the night before. The breakfast buffet was typically continental and perfect fuel for a day on the slopes.

The entertainment in the bar stretched to karaoke every night which was quite fun as long as you could keep the Italians off the microphone!

The staff were friendly and helpful though they knew very little English which made things awkward at times.

We really enjoyed our holiday, the slopes are great and the hotel did exactly what we asked of it. It was my first time boarding in Italy and I'd definitely go again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Scarborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Firstly, we know that the hotel and chalet owners only get a fraction of the money we pay for holidays. That said, these guys do there best, however, if you're paying circa £800 for HB, ski pass and ski/ boot hire, you can do better than Cielo Blu. £500- then it's about right.

Good bits- Food excellent and the staff were great. Always helpful.

Bad bits- The bar area is not conducive for gatherings/ apres ski after a busy day on the piste. It's more tables and chairs format. It NEEDS settees, comfy chairs etc and not look like a half baked greasy spoon. It ain't comfortable folks and it ain't cheap drinks!

Secondly, the bedrooms are pretty basic. The bed linen is poor as are the carpets generally. It needs a refurb (yes I know it costs money) and needs it now.

No baths. Yep, I said no baths! Once you've managed to drag yourself from the resort apres ski you really do want to lie in a big bubbly bath and repair those leg muscles. Not here you don't, it's only showers. I'd like to end the rant there but not sure I can.

Your skiing for gods sake, it's cold and snowy, you're tired. You've got an hour spare before you go down stairs and start smashing it at the bar again so what else is there to do?

HAVE A BATH OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, that's the last time I travel away when the bl**dy hotel doesn't have a bath. And don't get me on to Egypt where I've just been. Yes, I know it's warmer there, but in January, in a warmer country, I still like to get the Radox out. Be it Muscle Soak or Sleep Easy, I ain't bothered- I just want a bath.

Actually, I wonder if the builders who build Palm whatever in Egypt built this ski hotel? I must find out- ANYWAY! Note to builders and Architects , build baths you selfish gits!!!

So, back to the hotel. Nope, I wouldn't go back unless it had a bath put specifically placed in my room and you can take the bed out if you need to.

Equally, if it had a bath, there's better hotels in Passo so try those first. It's not the be all and end all if you do end up here, but just be prepared for an average standard.

Oh, and no baths. I'm going now before I start again!

P.S. The resort is great, you'll love the skiing. I thought it might be restrictive but it's good for all levels. Look out for La Barracua bar (FANTASTIC!) Magic Bar, and Heaven!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony by email if poss before you arrive, or you'll end up waking up to renditions o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed at the Cielo Blu for a week. The staff were friendly and helpful. In particular the waiter was excellent. Value for money the hotel was excellent. The food was absolutely wonderful with the pasta and gniocci being all made on the premises. If you did not like the selection on the menu then you did have a choice of pasta or steak. My daughter and I opted for the stake one evening and it was fantastic! We had a very large steak each cooked to our liking. The breakfast was more than ample athough I personally felt it would have been nice to have some scrambled egg or something warm.

The hotel owner has some lovelly horses and takes his guests out once a way for a carriage ride which he does with his compliments.

My husband was unfortunate to have a skiing accident. When we got back to the hotel and I asked the reception for some advice it was brilliant to say the least. She immediately addressed the situation and telephoned for a doctor without delay. It was necessary for my husband to go to hospital. Again Doctor Mario organised all of this for us. It was late when we arrived back from the hospital but the hotel still provided us with a freshly cooked evening meal which necessitated the staff staying late to servce us.

It is fair to say that the hotel rooms could do with a little modernisation. However, they were cleaned everyday and really did meet the requirements. The views from our room were outstanding.

I would not have any problems with recommending this hotel to anyone. It is only about 3-4 minutes walking distance from the slopes.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Penrith, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed in the Cielo Blu in February 2013 for a weeks skiing - a last-minute deal. It was good - clean, comfortable, and cheap. The food was fine, particularly if you like pork, but a veggie friend we met loved the salad buffet - you could feast on that instead of having the meal. The guests were not just Brits, which is always a bonus, and with the house red being 7 euros a liter, and drinkable, we enjoyed our evenings. There was also a great little bar across the road, the Bait, with good beer, good crack, good tunes, and loads of free tapas. Other bars are available, three minutes walk away in town. Getting to the snow was a three minute walk, either way, up or down the road to a lift. The only thing that put us off at first was the agricultural smell that you met on the way down to the ski room. We thought the plumbing was leaking, but when we found that the owner keeps horses in the basement, and that he hitches up his carriage and takes you for a free trip around town one night, we understood. We enjoyed ourselves, in an interesting place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Cielo Blu? Share your experiences!