“Lovely!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mon Repos Hermitage

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Mon Repos Hermitage to your Saves list
Hotel Mon Repos Hermitage
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Tre Monti | Loc. Baia Sardinia, 07021 Baia Sardinia, Sardinia, Italy   |
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Baia Sardinia
Warwick, UK
“Lovely!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights in September 2011. This is very much the end of their season, so the whole place was pretty quiet, although this suited us.

Baia Sardinia itself is a nicely set-up little resort, with a good selection of hotels, villas, cafes, bars and restaurants, and a few little shops, overlooking the beach. The beach is lovely, the sea clear and turquoise, and there are some activities (pedaloes, speed boats, excursions etc) available for those who feel that way inclined. Having visited a few of the neighbouring towns, we much preferred this one. The hotel is in a nice location, a pleasant 2-minute stroll to the hub of the action.

Mon Repos was clean, spacious, well-run, well-maintained and the staff were all very friendly. There are three types of rooms: standard, comfort, and superior. We'd booked a comfort room but discovered upon arrival that we had been upgraded to superior, which meant we had a large balcony, with sun loungers, overlooking the bay. There was a good selection of food available at breakfast. The restaurant attached to the hotel - Il Corbezzolo - was good and is currently ranked on tripadvisor as 1 of 9 in the town. Hotel guests get a 10% discount.

Another nice touch - they provide towels which can be used for the beach or the pool, and exchanged for clean ones whenever you need them. Helpful to cut down on suitcase weight!

So, on the whole, a great hotel, in a nice place, and the only mildly negative things I could think of to say are, firstly that the bed was so hard it was like sleeping on a concrete floor (it even gave me pins & needles on whichever side I was sleeping!) and secondly the air-con was antiquated and didn't actually change the temperature in the room.

But otherwise, recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

Myself and my husband stayed for three nights at this hotel as part of a week and half long holiday in Sardinia. As previously mentioned this hotel is in fact in Baia Sardinia and not Arzachena.

We stayed in a superior room the first night and a comfort room the next two nights. Both rooms were the same size and had the same size balacony (Very Large), the only difference I could see was that the superior room had a sea view.

The room's themselves were adequate and were similar in standard to other Italian hotels we have stayed in. (I personally find Italian star ratings below that of other countries.) We were both happy with breakfast and we didn't dine at any other time in the hotel.

The common areas of the hotel were lovely and yes there are a number of steps throughout the hotel as it is built on the side of a hill as most hotels in Baia Sardina seem to be.

The three best things about this hotel for us were:

1) Location - Right in the resort centre and just a stroll to beaches, bars and restaurants.
2) The Pool - Despite previous posters mentioning that it was freezing, this certainly wasn't a problem for us as it was late July and we were thankful it was cool. We also were brought drinks from the bar whenever we wanted them. The pool wasn't very busy when we were there and has a fabulous setting overlooking the bay.
3) Staff - Very friendly and helpful throughout our stay without being intrusive at the same time.

In summary I would say that Baia Sardinia is perfect for those who just want to switch off and chill out as the resort is small and relatively quiet. Mon Repos is a good hotel at a reasonable price in a very expensive area. If you want to explore the surrounding areas though you will definitely need a car, public transport is not existence.

Stayed July 2008
Cologne, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

I've stayed 12 days as a single (my boyfriend couldn't join in) and it has been 7days too much. After 4 days I was already looking for earlier flights back home because it was so boring (for me as a "single tripper"). I wanted to relax on the one hand and to work/write/have creative ideas on the other hand. But I missed fresh input. The bay consists of 3 streets, one church and a lot of hotels. Public transport is a mess (I had no car). A daytrip to Bonifatio/Corsica is not possible that way. 10 minutes far away is Porto Cervo (2€ by bus) - booooooooring!!!
Where exactly are the reasons for the 4 stars ??? Room was ok, with little patio but not really marked-off the neighbours. The walls were so light that I could hear every breath of my neighboures and even more (sex games, early departures at 5 a.m. ...). I went early to breakfast but my room was never done before 1 p.m. Chambermaid was early working and very loud. Breakfast is ok but nothing special and indeed forget about the eggs and the bread.
Pool is nice, but cold/heated by the sun. Nice overview the bay.
Bad experience at the restaus: high price for less quality/tourist quality. You can try Corbellozo, il Guscio, Finger's (sushi 30€ for 8 makis and 1drink of water :-)) but waiter in all restaus are unfriendly althoug I spoke their language, got a musty dessert.
Internet connection at the hotel is only working 2 meters in front of the reception desk (1hour=5Euros, 30min=3Euros, what a cheek pleaze!) It was an uncomfortable surrounding for creative working process.
Fabrizio at the reception is nice, also his male collegue.
The owner didn't offer me a sunshade for the beach. A neighbour told me that service at my last day. As I've asked for a daytrip to the Madalena-Islands the female owner offered me a 140€ - boattrip instead of 35€ like another customer told me. Why?
Mostly every night there was live-music in a free space of the bay, but music like cheap-marriage-singer-music and every traditional latino-party-hit-mix-entertainment...
A lot of families at the beach with little children.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — internet access, noisy room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oracolo18, mnager at Hotel Mon Repos Hermitage, responded to this review, January 15, 2010
Dear Madam,

We thank you for your suggest but we are to remember that we never confirm a Single room like Superior but in all our confirmation we inform the guest that single room are small, without seaview anb with single bed, not " Superior ".
In a single room you pay only the price for half double room and not for a double use single.
To all the guest we offer boat trip to La Maddalena Islands and this is possible with exclusive Catamarano II Lune for maximum 10 persons or with the small ferrry for about 100 persons and this is the difference of the price.
Now we have Internet connection wi-fi in all the Hotel.
The service in the beach is extra charge to pay direct to the beach, if you like chairs and umbrellas, if you prefer to stay and the sand you don't pay nothing.
Baja Sardinia is a small village and this is why a lot of people like it.
If your preference are big touristik village we don't suggest our lovely location for your holiday.
Our new Restaurant " Corbezzolo " have a very good food and is also Pizzeria, but this is personal opinion and is better to try for confirm it.
Best regards
The Management
Somerset, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

Stayed here for four nights in mid June. We read all the reviews before we booked and decided we would splash out and book a superior room. The room was quite small, the bathroom was a better size and both were very clean. However, the balcony was extremely tiny and was in a row of six or seven with no privacy at all. The view was OK but was restricted slightly by the restaurant next door. If we had been on the floor above the view would have been much better and there were less rooms so obviously the rooms would have been much larger. There were also rooms overlooking the bay and swimming pool which we believe were superior rooms and we could see they certainly had much more balcony space. When we questioned this we were told our room was superior to 'other rooms' ! I do believe we had the intermediate rooms. Having said all that, if you are thinking of going to this hotel either opt for the basic rooms as they looked OK and were walked past only when people were going to the small car park , or, book a superior room and insist when you book you are given a room on the top floor or one over looking the pool.

The other main problem was the temperature of the swimming pool - it was freezing. The pool itself is a good size and the loungers etc are clean and comfortable and the views are terrific. The pool area is quiet mainly because the pool is so cold no one goes in it, well not twice anyway. You can spot the new arrivals and quess where they come from as when they gingerly clamber down the pool ladder they excalim loudly ' Gosh the water is freezing' in their particular language - it was quite funny at times. They do, as we did, a proud two lengths of the pool, get out and never venture in it again. When you pay such a lot for a hotel you expect them to heat the pool.

The staff are very friendly and helpful and our chambermaid was delightful. However, the rooms are tidied not only daily but also should you leave the room again later in the day. This I found quite unsettling and I didn't like the idea that our room was being entered more than was necessary. The money the hotel was spending on these extra visits to the rooms could have been spent on heating the swimming pool.

We hired a car and visited all the resorts in the area and we think Baia Sardinia was one of the better ones to stay in. The roads are good and are well signposted.

We had a nice holiday but we didn't feel our room was value for money.

• Liked — Only a short walk into town
  • Disliked — Our room did not fit the superior category plus the temperature of the pool
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oracolo18, manager at Hotel Mon Repos Hermitage, responded to this review, January 15, 2010
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your suggest and we confirm that now all our Superior room are with a beautiful balcony and with more privacy.
Our Superior room are all the same size and we have only the Suite more big than Superior.
Swimming pool is without eathing system, but this is normal for the Hotel that are open only in Summer time and it is normal also that sometime in the start of the season the water is more cold.
Our Guest like to have a second tidy from our chambermaid but if someone don't like it for us is not a problem, important is only to inform the front desk.
Kind regards
The management
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

We stayed at the Hotel Mon Repos Hermitage for 6 nights in September, having found the hotel on this site and booked Ryanair flights from East Midlands to Alghero. We stayed overnight in Alghero and drove to Baia Sardinia late Monday afternoon.

I would reiterate mostly the views of others on this site (and found Rapier's descriptions very accurate) and recommend the hotel wholeheartedly.

We needed a quiet week with some sun to recharge our batteries and that is exactly what we got. Baia Sardinia is small, clean, but inclusive, so if you need more than sun, sand, sea and a pool, you will need a hire car to explore.

The hotel's main asset is it's position. It sits on a hillside and overlooks that fabulous bay so there are lots of opportunities to drink in the beautiful view. There are indeed (30 - I counted them) a number of steps going down to the piazza area which then leads to the sea front, but it takes a matter of minutes to walk down. There are steps leading up and down various areas in the hotel: the reception, car park, breakfast area, pool etc. so the Mon Repos may not be suitable for someone with walking difficulties or a buggy with a baby/toddler.

The room was spotless with plenty of storage space. Ensuite had a shower and wash basin with cupboards under and over (how many hotels have you been in where there is not even a hook for your wash bag?) We had a Comfort room (i.e. the cheapest) but it was spacious (there was a single bed as well as a double) and the bed was extremely comfortable. The room was at the back of the hotel overlooking the road but there was a planter with a trellis and climbing plant in front of the patio doors to shield against people looking straight into the room. I rather liked it. The balcony was large and there were a couple of plastic chairs and a table outside. The only improvement would be tea and coffee making facilities and better quality chairs with a cushion! Having said that, there is no shortage of comfortable chairs and sofas around the hotel to sit in. The bar as someone said, is lifeless. Another reviewer commented on the lack of bar around the pool but there is nothing to stop you buying coffee or a drink at the bar in the hotel and taking it outside. The grounds are neat as a pin and well tended. Lots of mosquitos about though.

The pool was quiet but with 20 sun loungers and over 50 rooms in the hotel, I wonder what it is like in August? As Rapier commented, the pool is closed for an hour and a half in the afternoon. I guess it is because the Italians take their siesta seriously and it is to give those who wish to do so, the chance to have a nap. The hotel was very popular with German tourists and they ignored the pool closure rule however!

Breakfasts in Italy are not brilliant but there was something for everyone at the Mon Repos and my husband enjoyed his salami and cheese and I enjoyed the water melon and yoghurt.

The staff were friendly although the female staff did not speak English very well. Fabrizio promised that we could have a room to shower and change in on our last day as we were spending the morning at the pool and then driving back to Alghero in the afternoon. However, the lady on reception said we had to use the pool shower which I was a bit grumpy about; we then had to repack our pool stuff in the garage where our suitcases were stored.

We found the designer shops on the sea front bizarre at first but realise having visited Porto Cervo that this is normal in the north of Sardinia! The beach is pristine and area around it is clean and well tended. You can book boat trips/pedaloesdiving trips on the beach. If you like walking, it's not the place to go as Baia Sardinia is so small.

We were worried about the cost of eating out but you can have fresh crab pasta at the restaurant on the beach for less than 15 euros. The lobster was lovely but astronomically priced. The hotel recommended the trattoria a couple of hundred metres down the hill and we ate there on 3 evenings. Even in September though, the restaurant was full by 8.30 p.m. so we booked a table in advance. A meal for two people, one main course with Sardinian bread, a bottle of wine and a bottle of water came to less than 50 euros. Small sweets and a glass of the local myrto came free.
I wanted to eat at an agritourismo and the hotel reception recommended and booked for us Tenuta Pilastru, about a twenty minute drive to the west of Arzachena. We had a four course meal of lovely local Sardinia dishes for less than 50 euros for two. Absolutely amazing value but starve yourself before you go as there was far too much food. It is very, very popular so you need to book as far in advance as you can.

I would definately go back to the Hotel Mon Repos. It was better than we had anticipated and good value for the price.

• Liked — the position and views
  • Disliked — mosquitos, despite using plug in deterrents; parking limited
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Notts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

My husband and I have just returned from Sardinia for the 2nd time this year. Alghero in March for a short break and recently to Baia sardinia for 1 week.
We flew to Alghero on both occassions, but hired a car for the journey to Baia on the 2nd trip. The costa Smeralda is stunning, words and photographs struggle to hit the mark. Also a car is essential to apprecciate whats on offer.
The hotel Mon Repos is, in our view, very chic but not prententous in a cold and modern trendy way that is all too popular now. It rather reminded me of an Agatha Christy, or Poirrot film.
All the staff were friendly and helpful, ( it would have been nice if the guests adopted the same attitude). Perfect location, super views of the bay, and yet very tranquil. Our room was only a standard, but yet was a good size and immaculate with a great sea view from our small but pretty balcony on the top floor. We paid 100 euro per night. Good value in my opinion.
Typical breakfast, no surprises, just fresh honest food.
The things we would do differently when we most definately return are, to go earlier in the season because it was far too quiet in the evenings, especially when it is not that warm to sit alfresco. A shorter stay in one place and move about the coast and drink wine instead of Gin and Tonic at 8 euros a time.
The restaurants were very nice but after 6 nights they became very repetative and everyone went to bed early. The bar in the hotel was beautiful but lifeless.
All in all, well worth a visit.

• Liked — Decor and cleanliness
  • Disliked — not many gueusts. too quiet
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2007

We stayed for 5 days at the Mon Repos in September this year. We splashed out and stayed in a suite which had a great private balcony overlooking the bay - it felt like the best room the Hotel had. There was also a big bathroom and a separate lounge. This was not cheap - 290 euros a night - but given the quality of the accommodation it didn't feel like we were being ripped off either.

Breakfast was great - coffee, fresh fruit, eggs, sausages, pastries, various juices, bread etc.

The pool is small but adequate and quite quiet due to the proximity of the sea I would guess.

The staff were all great - very friendly and gracious.

There isn't a lot of choice to eat out, which is a shame. About 5 different places in the resort centre. Great pizzas and some nice fish, but not much else. One of the local wines Sella & Mosca Cannonau is a great drink to have with dinner.

Definitely need a car - we drove over having spent 3 nights in Alghero and used the car to visit Porto Cervo as well. Also recommend a boat trip to the Madalena archipelago - they are several companies with huts on the road behind the beach that offer this trip on a daily basis.

• Liked — The view and the room
  • Disliked — Only complaint was that hydrobath didn't work
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Mon Repos Hermitage? Share your experiences!