“A truly beautiful place, one of the best I have ever been.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Hermitage

You added Grand Hotel Hermitage to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Hermitage
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Nastro Verde 9, 80064 Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi, Massa Lubrense, Italy   |
Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Montreal, Canada
“A truly beautiful place, one of the best I have ever been.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

This past summer we were on trip to Italy which brought us from Venice to La Spezia to Florence then Sorrento. The site of our hotel was amazing. Every morning we got up looking
at the Bay of Naples and Sorrento a beautiful view. A private walkway would take us into the little town of Sant'Agata where beautiful cafés, restaurants and shops we all within an easy leasure walk.
People are so friendly it made our stay so enjoyable. The hotel staff were friendly and courteous and speaking the language did help. The shuttle was a must for those without a car.
You will not forget your stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms facing the Bay of Naples
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed one night at this gorgeous hotel - although we all wished we had a few more nights there! We arrived very late because it was a little farther up the hill than we thought. Once we got there, the staff was SO friendly, booking us a dinner reservation, giving us helpful info, etc. Our room overlooked the Adriatic with breath taking views of the hotel grounds. Our dinner was one of the best pasta dishes I've ever had (gluten free). We swam the next morning in the beautiful pool and had breakfast outside. The staff also provided us with several GF goodies to pick from during breakfast. The hotel is out of the city, but well worth it with the views you get. Stay here if you get the chance -it's fabulous!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I caught the bus from Sorrento to the hotel which is poorly sign posted and missed my stop. I rang the hotel the receptionist kindly came and collected me in her own car. I found the staff to be very helpful and polite except on one occasion (later). I had a room directly above the reception with a view overlooking Vesuvius, Sorrento and the Bay of Naples.

The bedroom had dark wood furniture which was very tired. My bed was falling apart in places. The wardrobe was large and had an integrated hanger system which meant none of the hangers I had brought with me fitted as there was no pole to hang them from.The hangers supplied by the hotel were mismatched cheap store hangers left by previous guests. The TV was old. The bed had dark green candlewick bedspreads on it and reminded me of my childhood. The bathroom was also rather shabby. There was a balcony with a small table and two small chairs. The bedroom floor was beautifully tiled however this meant you could hear the guests in the rooms either side and above. The public corridors and stairs had stone or marble floors. There were no doors between reception, the stairs and bedroom floors. This meant that it was very noisy. My bedroom was directly above the reception and opposite the lift. I could hear conversations in the reception area whilst in my bedroom. I was woken every morning at about 6am by people leaving. When i spoke to the duty manager about this he told me he didn't believe me!

The public rooms have adequate seating but in some places the chairs are a little grubby. Breakfast was taken outside with stunning views of the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius. The choice at breakfast was limited. In the week I was there the only fruit available was apricots, no bananas or apples. The fruit juice was from a machine and was obviously not fresh juice but powder or squash. Breakfast was disappointing. I ate out every night either in Sant Agata or Sorrento and recommend the Foreigners Club in Sorrento - fabulous views and good food, booking recommended. Sant Agata is a ten minute walk through the grounds of the hotel and there are several restaurants worth trying.

There was a large coach party of American teenagers staying when I was there. They were polite but boisterous and took over the pool area and lounge to perform plays. Apparently they go every year. If you want a quiet holiday avoid June when they visit.

The hotel had beautiful views and the staff in the main were friendly. However it is tired and noisy. Even without the coach party it is noisy due to the old design of the building.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter. As you come of the lift and turn left some of the have their vie...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This was an amazing place to stay with an amazing sea view across the Bay of Naples from our room. The Staff and Management are very friendly and welcoming and made us feel very at home. Food is excellent and we enjoyed our time there. It is a very good base to work from exploring Sorrento and surrounding attractions e.g. Mt Vesuvius, Pompeii etc. We will definitely return. Thanks to William, Renato and Staff especially Salvatore our bar-man.
Mick and Mary

Room Tip: Higher rooms with full sea view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Vantaa, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Comfortable place to stay. Was a bit difficult to find, as hotel is marked on wrong place in Navtec maps, both in tripadvisor and navigator. I would recommend to check. The private path (or more or less well lit road) to St.Agata was good. Shuttle to Sorrento worked also well, parking by hotel was available. Television very small and outdated, even if many channels available. A/C not quite powerful enough for +35 degrees temperatures. Internet not available in rooms, only in lobby and one corner of balcony. Breakfast could use some variation during full week. For example fresh fruit would be available at low cost for fruit salads instead of tinned, naturally needing a bit of work in kitchen. Still all in all we enjoyed or stay because of very helpful and friendly staff, location, nice room and views. Enough sunbeds, even if many guests reserve them with towels hours before they come to pool. Hotel could consider removing towels from empty chairs, if no-one comes in many hours. Dinner food not best price/quality ratio, but easy to get in St Agata to eat.

Room Tip: Lovely viw from sea side, higher floor rooms. If you are not fit, consider lower floors. Only one el...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

The Hermitage beautifully clings to standards that have long since been dismissed by other, more trendy hotels. When you are at the Hermitage, you are transported to a time when friendly service and elegance were of the utmost importance. I feel it is impossible to be there without feeling genuinely valued, cared for, and important. This staff KNOWS how to treat their guests and I must say, for me, it is a privilege knowing these remarkable people.

The rooms are rich with history and are meticulously cared for. If you choose to stay in the Villa, you suddenly become part of Italy's robust history. If your choice is the main building of the hotel, you are treated to views that will be forever part of your memory - they are that beautiful. In my book - it is a win/win situation. You simply cannot go wrong here.

The food is stunning and who doesn't love the ever charming Tonino, the maitre d'? -Speaking French one moment, German the next, Italian after, and English simultaneously; a gem! Guillermo, Renato, Antonella, and all the lovely people who make this place magical are proud of their work, generous with kindness, and devoted to YOUR happiness. If it sounds as though I know them personally, that is because, after 1 visit you feel like family - which is why I have been to the Hermitage 5 times and will never consider another hotel in the south of Italy. To me, this place is perfect.

In addition, I have begun taking a large group of dancers ( 30 students ) to the hotel annually for a two-week residency. It boggles my mind that a hotel would do so much for a group of this size. Their investment and support of culture and art are refreshing. The dancers want for nothing, and the connection they have given us to the community of Sorrento is priceless.

So I say thank you to: The firm beds, the beautiful rooms, the gracious staff, the amazing pasta, the shuttle service to Sorrento, delicious drinks at the bar, gorgeous views, the refinement, the magic. Being at the Hermitage is like being in a dream.

If you want a hotel that has dignity and not an ounce of pretentiousness - stay here. You won't be sorry. We adore you, Hermitage!

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are absolutely worth the small, added fee. The view is stunning! However, if you...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

The Hermitage is our home away from home. My husband and I recently returned from a two-week stay, our third in 3 years, and yet again I can't say enough wonderful things about this hotel. For one, the location is perfect. If you want to stay in a tourist trap, get an overpriced hotel in Sorrento. If you want a quiet hotel with amazing views of Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples and easy access (via a free hotel shuttle) to Sorrento when you feel like joining the circus of tourists, stay at the Hermitage. Walk through the lemon grove to the charming little city of St. Agata where you will find real Italian culture. From there you can also take a bus to the many cities along the Amalfi Coast. The rooms are perfect - big by European standards with beautiful tile floors and always impeccably clean. The beds are firm, which is a good thing! You're back will be happy when you wake up. The food is bountiful, fresh and delicious, especially the pastas. But our favorite thing about the Hermitage is the staff - the most welcoming, hospitable, friendly people you've ever met. Example: we had to leave the hotel at 4:30 am to get the airport, and Saverio was waiting downstairs with fresh cappuccinos, fruit and pastries. William and Renato are great hosts, happily booking cars, excursions, tours, beach chairs, etc. and always ready with great suggestions. Two years ago, Renato even made a restaurant reservation for myself and my new fiancé on the day he proposed. He sent us to the most romantic, beautiful restaurant I have ever seen and even booked the car to take us there; the evening could not have been more perfect. William, Renato, Salvatore, Paolo, Antonella, Franco, Saverio and the rest of the Hermitage staff: we love you and can't wait to see you next year!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Hermitage? Share your experiences!