“Nice hotel, terrible location, checked out early !!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Due Golfi

Save Saved
You added Grand Hotel Due Golfi to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Due Golfi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Nastro Azzurro 1, 80064 Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi, Massa Lubrense, Italy   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Nice hotel, terrible location, checked out early !!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Hotel is lovely, great views if you pay extra, room was large modern with a large balcony, breakfast was ok. The problem with this hotel is it's location, first we got a taxi to the hotel from train station to hotel that cost 50 euros Only did that once ! Oh but there a shuttle bus !!! The shuttle bus runs a couple times in the morning and again in the afternoon but its only a 19 seated bus and once it's full a second run is not facilitated, on 4 of the 6 times we wanted to use the shuttle bus it was full and we were left with no other option but to use public transport, both hotel and public transport finish by 11.30 pm so no late nights,
We like to go on holidays and relax, sit have a nice meal and a drink and watch the world go by, after a busy day sightseeing but between the race in the morning to book a seat on the bus and the running to get the bus for fear we'd get have to pay for a taxi after 11.30 pm it became a nightmare!!! I hated it !
Checked out and moved to a hotel in centre of Sorrento, so if you want to holiday in Sorrento stay

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
duegolfi, Proprietario at Grand Hotel Due Golfi, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Madame,
Thank you for your review of The Grand Hotel Due Golfi.
I was delighted that you found the room to your liking and that you enjoyed the variety of choices offered on our breakfast buffet as the breathtaking view you had from here.
I'm very sorry to read that you found the location of the hotel inconvenient to you.
However, it is well indicated on all the websites where you can book the hotel that we are 8 Km far from Sorrento and if you had looked on our website you could know our shuttle timetable before arriving.
Just for informing anyone interested in visiting our hotel, we reserve the shuttle also on the arrival day for the journey from Sorrento to the hotel, as long as we are contacted we give all the necessary information to get at the hotel in the easiest and the most convenient way.
I apologize for any trouble you had in booking our shuttle bus and I am very sorry you paid so much for a taxi from Sorrento, in fact we inform about the high costs of this service.
I’m happy you enjoyed the hotel in centre of Sorrento, but we found that our location is one of our strength, as most of the reviewer say, is a perfect departure point to discover the beauty and the history of the area and many people choose our hotel for their holiday as they prefer to be in the quite of a traditional Italian village.
Kind regards

398 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Hotel was bright, clean and the staff very friendly and helpful, especially Monica on reception. Our room was quite small but adequately appointed but with a large balcony with magnificent sea view out across the bay and Vesuvius. However the bed was very hard and there was no opportunity to change as we were told all the mattresses were the same - did not get one good night's sleep and in fact my wife suffered from back pain through our stay as a result.
Adequate breakfast buffet with mainly cold 'continental' breakfast items but with a couple of hot dishes normally eggs and bacon or sausages and a temperamental toaster!
Nice pool area with towel service and snack bar, but probably very crowded in high season.
The shuttle bus service down to/back from Sorrento gets booked up quite quickly so if you know your plans book it asap.

Room Tip: Request a sea view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
duegolfi, Proprietario at Grand Hotel Due Golfi, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Sir,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
I am very sorry for not being able to offer you a comfortable night’s sleep and for your wife’s back pain. Thank you for bringing the matter to my attention, even if our mattresses are one of the best brands (Simmons)!
We will take note of this and look into offering a non orthopedic bed mattresses for guests who are not used to hard beds.
I am glad to read that you find the Hotel bright, clean and the staff very friendly and helpful.
I am always grateful for all types of feedback as it is a chance for us to monitor and improve our standards for future guests.
Kind regards,
Notts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 7 nights from 9 Sept 2013.We arrived around lunchtime and the room was not ready which was not a problem, but we were just asked to leave our luggage in the open hallway and not directed to the bar or told where we could get a drink etc, which was a bit disappointing. We eventually walked into the village for lunch as there didn't appear to be anything in the hotel and the snack bar area near the pool seemed to be deserted. We paid extra for a seaview with a balcony and it's well worth it, the view is stunning over the bay of Naples, especially at night with all the lights. The room was excellent, clean, a large comfy bed, really good double size shower and plenty of wardrobe space etc. Breakfast was good with always a hot selection of scrambled eggs and sausages or bacon and tomatoes and all the usual continental breakfast. The fruit juice was fresh, a good selection of hot drinks (with the hot water really hot for good tea). Though we didn't take advantage of it the staff would get you fried or boiled eggs also if you wanted them. Dinner was typical Italian hotel food which was quite good, always a pasta choice to start and the meat or fish and potatoes course was OK, the salad/vegetable buffet was also OK but always much the same and not very exciting. Desserts were nice, a choice of 2 or you could always have ice cream if you asked. The staff were very pleasant, especially the girls who always had a nice smile and greeting for everyone.

The only down side to staying at this hotel was the short walk into the village because it is down a very busy narrow road with no pavement for some of the way, not too bad in the daytime but if you wanted to go into the village at night I wouldn't fancy it! The hotel is a great centre if you want go walking though, buses go from either outside the hotel to Amalfi and Sorrento or to other villages from St Agata, the hotel reception will sell you bus tickets (E2.50 for up to 40 mins journeys). The hotel provides a free shuttle bus into Sorrento which was good (though a very silent driver who could at least have said Chow!)

We didn't use the pool, it looked quite small but nice enough for a dip to cool off I would think. The gardens are nice, though they could be made even nicer with more flowers, though maybe we were a bit late in the year for them to be at their best, parts looked a bit uncared for and it would have been nice to be able to have drinks outside sometimes and I was very surprised this didn't seem to be an option at all.

All in all if you want a good hotel with good food with easy access to Sorrento and the surrounding beautiful countryside this hotel is a very good choice.

Room Tip: Get a sea view and balcony on a high floor- its well worth it.
Dear Madame,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your experience at The Grand Hotel Due Golfi.
I am pleased to read that you found our surrounding to your liking. The Grand Hotel Due Golfi benefits from being well connected with Sorrento and the Amalfi coast while offers an experience of journey in a traditional Italian village.
Thank you for your comments regarding the welcome that you experienced and for bringing the matter to my attention. I will be sure to avoid any further disappointment to our guests.
I am sorry to hear that your found some parts a bit uncared, September is one of the best times of the year to visit the area and we are not off season, I am very desolated you had this impression. We serve snack bar round the pool till the 30th September and I am very sorry you did not take advance of it.
I am glad that all in all you liked the hotel, the food we serve, and that you were happy of the choice you made for your holiday.
Best Regards,
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed for a week with my wife last week, and agree with all the positive comments in previous posts. As we arrived late in the evening, we were grateful to find an extensive cold buffet in our room complete with drinks.
Not sure if the Gala Evening is always on a Wednesday evening, but our timings meant we missed the gala at the beginning and end of our holiday.
We would have loved to gone to Sant'Agata, but felt that the road without footpaths and a hair pin bend was too dangerous - there is a footpath but it is after the bend!
If you are thinking about going bed and breakfast, please bear the previous comment in mind and also consult the hotel web site to consider the timing of the shuttle bus (hopefully the last bus will appear now- we mentioned to the reception that it was missing from the schedule) so that you can fit in your dinner.
With the shuttle bus timings you may need to see what the times of the various boat trips are - you may not be able to fit some of the trips with the shuttle bus - although for our visit, I think the boat people had introduced a winter schedule.
Back on a more positive note - it is worth going for a sea view room, especially on a higher floor.

Room Tip: A sea view room on a higher floor, away from the lift.
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your review of your experience at The Grand Hotel Due Golfi.
I am pleased that the enjoyed the cold evening meal we provide for guests staying in half board and arriving too late for dining in the restaurant.
I am desolated you missed the Gala dinner, but this can be one of the reason to came back!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Hotel Due Golfi, Sorrento for 3 nights this week and were absolutely delighted by the hotel and it's wonderful staff.

The hotel itself is situated quite high above Sorrento town. This gives you the most stunning views over the Bay of Naples you could possibly imagine. All around the bay from Sorrento port to Vesuvius volcano dominating the scene, round to Naples across the bay. A photographers dream from the balcony.

A comfortable courtesy bus is available several times a day, every day to transfer the short distance to and from Sorrento town centre.

The facilities are all that you would expect from a four star hotel and more. They are very good indeed if not actually better than you may assume. Even the air conditioning works quietly in the background and keeps the room at whatever temperature you want without the usual clattering on and off with noisy fans etc that is a common problem at hotels.

Décor is modern and has quality about it.

Breakfast is buffet as usual but the quality and range of choice is exceptional. Everything is clean, fresh and pleasurable and sets you up for the day.

The bedrooms and bathrooms are spacious and are cleaned very well each day. For once there are enough hangers in the wardrobes and of course a room safe which is easy to use. Comfortable beds too.

Dining in the evening is optional but in a well decorated dining room with space around the tables. We can't comment on the meals as we chose to eat out or have room service but we are sure they would be good.

We cannot thank the staff reception and bar staff enough for their high standard of service and attention to details. Always very courteous and responsive, even when we had to call a doctor for my wife. They responded quickly and afterwards paid unexpected and very kind attention to her needs. A perfectly lovely touch which was added to by an unsolicited surprise of a beautiful bouquet of flowers for my wife on her birthday.

If you are keen on great service when on holiday, this hotel tops the lot, don't miss out.

Thank you again to all the lovely staff at this hotel, we highly recommend you.
Richard & Maxine

Room Tip: A sea view is a must. The most stunning view from your balcony over the Bay of Naples is not to be m...
Dear Sir,
I was very pleased to read your feedback following your stay with us.
I was delighted that you liked the hotel and the services that we provide you with. I have passed on your kind words to all the hotel’s staff.
Thank you for all your nice words about our facilities, our breakfast meals and our rooms.
I am very happy to read that you appreciated the little touch we offered your wife on her birthday!
We wait to hear good news from you.
Please do come and visit us again, we look forward to welcoming you and your wife back.
My best wishes
Wigan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

My friend and I stayed for 8 nights from 26 August. We were made welcome from the start and nothing was too much trouble to make our stay enjoyable. The view from our room was stunning, so my advice is to pay the extra to get a seaview, it's well worth it! The meals were fabulous and if you stay when the rum baba's are served - grab one! The courtesy bus was ideal to get into Sorrento to do some sightseeing/shopping. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and in my book that's what makes the Grand Due Golfi first class. Many thanks for making our stay with you so memorable.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth the extra - try to get above the 2nd floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words following your recent stay with us at The Grand Hotel Due Golfi.
I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and I have passed on your kind words to the team.
Please do come back and stay with us again.
It will be our pleasure to see you again.
Best regards
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Arrived here on the 15th of September with my wife (16 weeks pregnant) having travelled for 12 hours from sunny Scotland,

Naples is an experience and i wouldn't recommend it to anyone! We decided having met a nice couple on the plane who recommended it to take the boat from Naples to Sorrento, the boat trip was brilliant, a great way to start our break on the amalfi coast, and the scenery is spectacular! On arrival in Sorrento we were well and truly lost and decided to call the hotel to enquire about the regular shuttle bus only to be told that it wasn't really that regular and we needed to have booked seats, the girl was however helpful and pointed us in the direction of public transport! The walk from the Harbour to the Bus station is a fair journey and we were pretty tired by this point and it was warm with heavy cases and a pregnant wife...... now the fun really started, public transport in Italy is a shambles, this combined with it being a reduced service (it was Sunday) meant we waited a further 2 hours to finally make the 20 minute trip up the hill to the hotel.

The drive from Sorrento up to St Agata is stunning if a little hairy and is no more than 20 minutes although if you intend doing the trip regularly definitely use the shuttle service it does 4/5 trips a day, but you must book in advance, a real nuisance when the weather when we were there was so varied. On arrival the hotel is in a stunning location, perched above Sorrento and the views are spectacular, our room (with a sea view) was adequate and the bed was comfortable, the shower was also very good, the balcony although on the end (room 81, i think) was big and had an amazing view although it was over looked from above and the left so was not very private.

We had booked half board for our trip and as we both love our food and have had some amazing all-inclusive holidays were a little dubious as we have never been half board and with it being Italy where we have been a few times we knew they do food very well, our first night at the hotel we ate in the main restaurant, the menu is good with 3 choices and a salad bar and the dining room has amazing panaromic views, the choices looked good and were Italian which was a good start, the staff were friendly and the wine good value and of a good standard, as we sat in the restaurant i really started to notice a theme that had begun in Sorrento that we were the youngest guests by about 20 years, sadly this theme continued throughout the rest of our break and without sounding too ageist the hotel and all it done (or didnt do) reflected this, the food at night although of decent quality was pretty basic and certainly did little to excite, there was no-one attending the bar and pool bar during most of the day, breakfast was aimed more at Europeans (loads of Germans and Dutch) and the only hot option was scrambled eggs and frankfurters, loads of cereal, cakes and pastries though! In the end we swapped our Dinner for Lunch on 3 of the 5 nights we stayed so we could explore other options for evening meals, the lunches were good and it was good of the hotel to agree to this.

I don't want to sound too critical of the hotel as most of what I am complaining about could have been avoided had i done more research, there were loads of plus points about the hotel and the staff were really helpful and the place is spotless, in my honest opinion Sorrento and the surrounding area is almost stuck in a time warp, stuck in the 80's we did still manage to see some sights and enjoy our stay at Hotel Due Golfi...

The highlight of the hotel has to be its proximity to St Agata, a short if slightly dangerous walk along the road this village is far more authentic than the material of Sorrento, the restaurants serve authentic italian food at good value prices, there are pizzerias if you fancy and a small bar and coffee shop as well as local shops etc, a far more enjoyable experience than being stared at by a bunch of OAP's over dinner, would definitely recommend leaving your options open when it comes to dining in the evening if you choose to stay here!

In the end we had a really good break and the rating does not actually reflect how much we enjoyed our holiday just most of what we enjoyed we initiated out with the hotel.

Then off to Rome we go.....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
duegolfi, Proprietario at Grand Hotel Due Golfi, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Sir,
many thanks for your comments following your recent stay with us.
Our aim at The Grand Hotel Due Golfi is to ensure that all of our guest’s, young and old, are made welcome to the hotel and feel at home during their stay with us. We pride ourselves on caring for all of our guests so I was shocked and saddened to read your feedback about your experience.
However I will look into your suggestions in order to offer a more pleasant stay to a younger clientele.
I’m happy to read all summed up you enjoyed your holiday and I hope to welcome you back in the future with your family.
My kindest regards,

Been to Grand Hotel Due Golfi? Share your experiences!