“Very good dinner - recommendation” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Trim
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Dining on a budget, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Very good dinner - recommendation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Very friendly staff, relaxing atmosphere and a very good dinner, would definitely go there again!

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Swanley, United Kingdom
“Possibly the best Indian Restaurant I've been to!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

I love a good Indian meal and can say that it does not get much better than here! The food was great but the service was even better! If I am ever back in town I will eat here again.

Visited July 2011
Belfast
“You wont get much better than this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

I ate here with my wife and friends, the food was fantastic. The service was experienced and well adverse. Great knowledge of their trade. Would highly recommend Khan's to anyone.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Trim, Ireland
“Great food nice staff relaxed atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Ive eaten Indian food in Munich, London and China. Khan's in Trim can match what these restaurants have to offer. They have a wide choice on the menu and it tastes great. All the staff are friendly and helpful .The portions are generous and the food tastes great. If you like Indian food and are in Trim than go to Khan Spices on Emmet street!!

• Visited June 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Trim, Ireland
“su·per·la·tive (s -pûr l -t v). adj. 1. Of the highest order, quality, or degree; surpassing or superior to all others.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

The first thing I will say - because I want to get this out of the way immediately - is that I've never quite taken to the setting of the restaurant on the inside, in fact the interior almost put me off completely on my first visit. I think the owners ought to redecorate with warmer and more lush, luxurious decor to do justice to the excellent standards and attention to detail they set in every other area with their business. The tables and chairs are perfect, but the building itself does not scream 'India' at the top of its lungs and I feel it needs some work to disguise it. This is something, I think, the restaurant owners should address. I feel this could be changed through the simple addition and use of more fabrics, textures, lighting & colours that conjure up romantic images of India. My 3 out of 5 score for atmosphere is solely influenced by the 'setting' as I refer to it. This criticism aside Khan Spices is mightily impressive. So, I will move on to the many positives.

I live in Trim and I've visited Khan Spices on a number of occasions now and I've also ordered take out from them on more than a few occasions! I've never yet been disappointed with any aspect of the food created by this restaurant.

My most recent visit was with my partner and two friends, an Austrian couple, back in April. While my partner and I are veterans of Indian cuisine, our Austrian friends were novices and approached the meal tentatively. We had actually chosen Khan Spices, in spite of one of our guests being a little anxious about trying this food. Unfortunately for her, the alternative restaurants serving more Mediterranean style food had no tables available as plans to dine out were quite spontaneous and we had not made any reservation. Luckily, despite the lady's reservations about trying Indian, Khan Spices had a table...

On that evening as with every other visit to Khan Spices we were greeted and welcomed by with a beaming smile and seated immediately. The first impression of our Austrian friends was that the staff were SO friendly. No standing around and waiting in Khan Spices and no gruff surly attitudes to greet those without a reserved table.

The wine menu was brought to our attention immediately and the waiter helped our designated driver to choose a delicious Mocktail in lieu of an alcoholic drink. Our wine arrived promptly and without any nonsense. The bottle was opened and poured expertly and there was no faffing around with corkscrews or splashing wine all over the table either. The selection of wines is generous enough to satisfy even the most demanding (French) wine connoisseur.

Ordering was, as always, accompanied by a very helpful explanation from our waiter of what the ingredients in the dishes were and what the cooking of the dishes entailed. This helped to put our novice diners at their ease and gave them the confidence to choose more exotic dishes than I would have otherwise expected, provided - they stipulated - that the dishes in question did not contain saffron. The waiter was able to show his expert knowledge of the menu and the ingredients to assure us that there was no saffron used in the chosen dishes.

I recommend the Tandoori Chicken and Chicken Tikka as starters because i.m.o. they are very, very tasty. (My other half has a particular soft spot for the Onion Bhajees). But most importantly, I need to emphasise that the Roast Batah (Duck marinated in fresh herbs, spring onion and spices, flavoured with red wine, served on sizzler) on the Chef's Specials section of the menu at Khan Spices is nothing short of SUPERB. The skin is not a half inch thick of fat as it is in most establishments; it is rather a reduced and crispy coating over the most divine tasting dark meat below. I have never tasted better, at any price, anywhere in the world. This duck is clearly cooked slowly and with great care. Having said that, with the wine flowing and all aspects of the experience going so well, we were never aware of any delay between courses or any particularly lengthy wait for our courses. This is what comes of making your diners feel at ease I suppose.

After an enormous helping of rice and probably more than a little too much of those really gorgeous Naan breads, I usually find that I'm not much of a dessert (or 'pudding' if you prefer) person! There is however nothing at all wrong with the ice creams I've tried at Khan Spices, nor could I find fault with their coffees. I couldn't even complain about the Mickey Finns shots given 'on the house' to round off the meal and send us on our way.

From Starter to Mint, Kahn Spices delivers excellent value for money and fantastic customer service every single time I choose to spend my hard earned money there. The staff make me feel that my custom is not only welcome, but appreciated. Khan Spices somehow manage to make each and every one of its customer feel special. My Austrian friends in particular noted that they were made to feel, "like royalty" on the night we dined there. Of particular note in this 'post -Celtic-Tiger-Ireland' is the total TOTAL absence of any pretension, inefficiency, arrogance or poor manners on the part of the staff. It's pretty obvious from the standard of the food at this restaurant that the chefs at Khan Spices clearly have a great passion for and pride in their work. Meanwhile, everyone working front of house at Khan Spices could give a masterclass in good manners, courtesy and customer care - something some of Kahn Spices local rivals would do well to take note of and learn from.

Overall: Faultless.

• Visited April 2011