“not good” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Birchwood B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kells
Birchwood B&B
You added Birchwood B&B to your Saves list
Balrath, Kells, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Kells B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“not good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here and I wasn't impressed. The rooms were dirty and the shower didn't work great only a small dribble of water came out. We were made feel uncomfortable for the duration of our stay with odd comments such as on arrival "the two men can stay in this room and the two women stay in here". There were other comments such as "the dog will be well fed this morning" when some food was left over at breakfast. When packing up on leaving we were intruded in on and the staff cleaned the room before we had packed up our stuff. We were attending a wedding in the area and were in need of somewhere to stay for the two nights but if we had a choice we would of ran! Very unhappy customer

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Marie C, Owner at Birchwood B&B, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Hangover problem !

It’s a pity you did not identify yourself. I absolutely refute your critical remarks over room cleanliness, or that anybody suggested who should occupy any room. We get random inspections, and meet the high standards required. Our linen is laundered to a high standard by the same people who supply most hotels in the county. Our showers are thermostatically controlled, provide a perfect flow and our hard water is softened, specially for you.

Now let me put our side.

We had nine guests, two holiday makers, Australians, and seven going to your local wedding.
All were asked on arrival if they would like the full breakfast, all said yes. You went to the wedding, and arrived back on Sunday morning as early as 5.40 am. The Australians had asked for breakfast at 8.00 am. My wife and I got up at 7 am, served the two Australians, and they left about 8.30. At 9.00 am the lady who helps came in to hoover, make all beds, clean showers, etc. She could only access one room. At 10.10 am two persons came for breakfast, and returned to their room. They brought up two glasses of drinking water. Somebody was suffering from thirst. By this stage we had already cooked five more breakfasts, but still no sign of anybody coming down. 11 am passed by, still no sign of movement. The help lady had to sit in the kitchen, and wait. At 12am my wife had to attend church, but still you were in bed. By 1 pm both the help lady and I were still waiting for you to appear. At this stage, we wondered if you were ever going to vacate the rooms. Our help then went and started cleaning for our next visitors. You were lucky that it was not I that went to oust you out, as I might not have been so friendly.

The next wedding you are going to, I suggest you drink a bit less, and you will not have such a hangover. I do hope you managed to drive home safely.

OH! Your breakfasts were partly eaten by some men who work with us, and the rest did last the dog for two days.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Dunfanaghy, Donegal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We were attending a wedding at Kells, travelling from Donegal. . We were three people and had no problem booking in early. Although we booked one double and one single rooms, we were given two ensuite double rooms, Marie, the hostess, could not do enough for us. We were home in the early hours, and rose early for breakfast. After freshening up with a shower, we went for breakfast where we met other people, from the UK, who were attending the same wedding. We had an excellent breakfast, and enjoyed a long most enjoyable conversation with the other guests. It was mid-day when we left for for journey back to Donegal. All of the guests had praise for Marie, the hostess, and her husband Tom, who who told us of his early summer holidays at the Gaelteach, with the O’Donnell family during his early school holidays.
The entire trip was most enjoyable, and we will be back to Birchwood. B&B
Stacy

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet.. no traffic noise
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Stacy.

Your family were wonderful, friendly people. I find this is general among Donegal
people. We try to get away for a weekend when we can, and will stay at B&B's
anywhere from Donegal town, around to Dunfanaghy. We have never stayed in
a poor one. In any case, we would certainly be happy to see your family again.
I did stay at Rannafast/ Annagry when I was at college. Oddly, our teacher was
a fir gael named Peadar O'Donnel, who passed away just a few years ago. He
was a fluent Irish speaker, and it was his tuition that helped me get good results
in the Irish language at college exams.

agus fuair mé Fáinne Óir

We were delighted to meet you and your family, and would be pleased to meet you again.

Slainte duit.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

From the moment we arrived, we were treated as if we were family. As we drove up, Marie came out to meet us, showed us around and how everything worked, and answered every question we had about Kells and the area.

Our room was a large en suite room, with king size bed. The bed was exceptionally comfortable with freshly laundered snow white linen.
We had multi channel TV, both Irish and Satellite, and also excellent strength free WiFi, with which I kept in touch with home.
Next morning, a breakfast menu was presented to us, and we chose to have a full breakfast each. That was a mistake - in the morning when we went to the dining, and were presented a 'full' breakfast! Choice of muesli, cereals, juices, large pot of tea, lots of fruits (oranges, bananas, etc) with yoghurts and then the main course, two sausages two eggs, beans, lashings of bacon and toast. And everything extremely well presented and cooked. Because we ate so much we were unable to eat for the rest of the day.
Needless to say we chose to have a lighter breakfast on our second morning there.
I wish all B&B’s were as good.
We HIGHLY recommend BIRCHWOOD B&B
Carol B

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Carol.

Thank you for your kind words. Your tour of the West of Ireland, with visits to
Donegal, Westport in Mayo, Galway and the Burren in Clare, sounded very
interesting.

We were pleased deceided to visit and stop off in Kells. You did very well to get
to see the High Crosses of Kells, St. Columkilles house, and the Book
of Kells, then on to Newgrange and Trim Castle in your few days here.
It was a lot to see in a short time.

I hope you enjoyed your later visit to London and Paris, and had a safe trip home to
Sydney.

Thanks a million.

Marie
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The people that own and run this B&B are honest, kind and caring. They took good care of us and gave us a taste of the legendary Irish hospitality. They were very accommodating, I am a vegan and they even knew what that was, and fed me well! I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear Cathy.

We pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Once we get advance request, we dont have any
problem providing menu's for special diets. Most people have the standard breakfast, but
if they are towards the end of their vacation, they generally have a light breakfast. Personally,
we seldom eat anything more than a light breakfast, such as oatmeal porridge, and some stewed apple if its available, just to brighten up the taste.

Unfortunatly, this season our trees have yielded a poor apply crop.

We look forward to your next visit to Ireland

I hope your keeping well, and got home safely.

Thank you.

Marie C
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed at Birchwood in preparation for our flight home from Dublin the next morning. We found it to be particularly suitable for this purpose as the drive into Dublin the next morning was easy, as Birchwood is located just 400 meters from the new M3 motorway.
It took just 40 minutes to get to the Airport.
Marie is an excellent host and made sure we were comfortable and well-prepared to find good restaurants in Kells. We were sad that we could only stay for one night, because the hospitality was tops.

We would definitely recommend this B&B to our friends and family, and will definitely stay here again when we visit Ireland again.

Joan

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Marie C, Owner at Birchwood B&B, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Good Morning Joan.

Marie and I are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Birchwood. The new M3 motorway is a blessing for us, as the old route, now called the R147, gets terribly congested at towns and villages on route to Dublin. On occasions it used to take up to three hours to get into the city.
The new M3 motorway can get you to the airport in about 40 minutes, and thankfully Birchwood is just 400 meters from the motorway.

We enjoyed your company, and your kind words.

Glad you got home safely. We hope to visit West Springfield, MA. next fall.

Marie & Tom
Rye, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I needed to take my mum on a well earnt break and to see other family that live in Ireland. I booked a room for 2 nights at Birchwood B&B. I asked for directions when I booked and was so pleased to get a detail write up. On arrival we were greeted by the lady of the house and also shown around. Room was very clean and spacious with 1 double bed and 1 single. Really enjoyed the cooked breakfast and there was always plenty of tea and coffee.
I decided that I wanted to stay longer and asked if the the room was vacant. Mr Clarke was very helpful and was able to fit us in around the other guests without disrupting any one. I plan to have many more stays at Birchwood B&B. :)
Mrs A Butchers

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Marie C, Guest Relations Manager at Birchwood B&B, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Good Morning Anita.

Marie & I are pleased both yourself and your mum enjoyed your few days stay, and enjoyed your trip to Glendalough. It's a pity the weather was not better, but we have had a lot of heavy showers this summer.

Best regards to your mum.

Marie & Tom
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Our family of four stayed for four nights in authentic Irish hospitality. Our hosts took great care of us and fed us well. We were looking for something that was not a tourist place, but that would still have people who would look out for us and point us to the sights.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Marie C, Owner at Birchwood B&B, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Good morning Shiela.

We are pleased you enjoyed your visit, and glad to see you got home safely. Hopefully we will see you again on your next visit.

Best wishes to all.

Marie

Been to Birchwood B&B? Share your experiences!