“Amazing Accommodation, disappointing elsewhere” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Trump International Golf Links & Hotel

You added Trump International Golf Links & Hotel to your Saves list
Trump International Golf Links & Hotel
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Doonbeg Golf Club, off the N67, Doonbeg, Ireland (Formerly The Lodge at Doonbeg)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Doonbeg
Dublin, Ireland
“Amazing Accommodation, disappointing elsewhere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Let me start by saying I want to love Doonbeg Lodge- this was my second visit and as a location it's just beautiful, and I think best enjoyed during winter to avail of the roomy individual lodges, and the cosy fires.

The accommodation at Doonbeg is the reason I returned after our first visit. If you're looking for cosy beds, comfy couches and curling up in the front of the fire with a book, this place is just the ticket. However, I do have massive problems with the hotel itself and I'm afraid to say that this second visit reminded me of my disappointment the first time I was there.

I should add that we stupidly booked the weekend of their Christmas Market, so the place was absolutely over run- all the time- everywhere. We weren't warned in advance either on the booking confirmation email, or indeed when my husband called the hotel itself to confirm the booking and book dinners.

Whilst I could handle the market itself, what bugged me more than anything was that none of the hotel was reserved for hotel guests. The Main Bar in the Golf Club was over run with children- all the time, right up to 9/10 at night. It was like trying to have a quiet drink in McDonalds.

There was no respite to be found in the Hotel Bar either- kids & families everywhere. No room to sit down and enjoy a drink. NO areas reserved for hotel guests only. This really irked me.. Look after your paying guest and offer them a private area to relax away from the market. the main hotel lodge should be reserved for guests only.

The food in the fancy restaurant was over priced and underwhelming. I actually preferred the food in the bar because it was better value. The 15% service charge is so American.. really that would need to be looked at in a culture like ours. Irish people don't like to be forced to tip, when the service is good we tip, when it's not, we won't. The service generally was quite good and everyone super friendly but the food.. average.

I agree with a lot of people here- this is not a 5* hotel, I'm surprised it ever achieved that status given that it doesn't have any leisure facilities apart from golf. I used the spa- it's grand... the staff were nice but again, madly overpriced.

One last thing- upon check out, the man in front of us was overcharged and had to have his bill amended. The very same thing happened to us.. Look at your bill carefully because either their computer system is really wonky or they are hoping you won't notice. Just seems odd that it happened to us and the other guy in direct succession.

Doonbeg has so much going for it, it's charming and cosy- clearly no expense has been spared regarding the decor and quality of the accommodation. The location is so wild and raw that it would break your heart. It's how the West of Ireland should be, but there's so much missing at the Lodge for the prices that I will be hard pushed coming back soon. Sorry :(

Room Tip: Go for a courtyard room
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
TrumpIreland, General Manager at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Good evening valnoc,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your Tripadvisor review following your recent visit to Trump International, Doonbeg. I am sorry that the weekend of the Christmas Market was not to your liking and your advice is appreciated regarding the accommodation of residents during this time.

I am pleased the you enjoyed our the service from our staff and will of course review the issue of the billing that weekend with our front desk personnel. We have implemented a new system recently and despite some teething problems initially, we are satisfied that it is now performing correctly.

Hopefully you will consider a return visit to us and if that is the case, may I request that you contact me personally on jrussell@trumphotels.com in order that I may ensure that everything is to your satisfaction at that time.

Thank you once again for your review and I do hope you have an enjoyable Christmas.

Yours sincerely.

Joe Russell.
General Manager.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Fantastic staff, beautiful hotel. Food average but we only ate in the bar. We stayed in a courtyard suite which had absolutely everything that would be needed, The views were stunning , even winter time is lovely in Doon beg.

Room Tip: Choose a suite if possible .
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
TrumpIreland, General Manager at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear CharlieJenny,

Hopefully it won't be too long before we have an opportunity to welcome you back to Trump International Doonbeg where another warm West Clare welcome will await you.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel is over rated does not deserve 5 star.. Food is over priced for what you get a toasted sandwich for €7.50 and it was miserable with a bit of dry lettuce on the side and the service charge is a disgrace added on to your bill at the end would not return there and would not recommend it.

• Stayed November 2014
Dear Aine O,

Thank you for your recent review posted on Tripadvisor following your visit to Trump International Doonbeg. I am very sorry to note that you did not enjoy your toasted sandwich. This lapse in our standard is unacceptable and may I apologise in this regard.

If you do happen to return in future, per haps you can send me an e-mail on jrussell@trumphotels.com in order that I may aplogise in person for what has occurred and ensure that everything is to your satisfaction on that occasion.

Gorey, Wexford, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed here over a weekend in November. Very disappointed overall if I'm honest. Have stayed in a few 5 star establishments and had high expectations of this place but did not live up to the billing. Starting with the positives, fantastic room with lovely bathroom and suite style layout with very comfortable bed. Great breakfast also with very attentive staff and super views from the breakfast area. Beach very close by also and really nice for an afternoon stroll.
Negatives however are also a plenty. The whole place is laid out like a little village with the rooms separate from the hotel reception which you have to walk outside to get to, then if you want a drink you have to walk outside again to go to the bar which is located above the golf shop. It's all over the place which, for me, is a major down point. There is also no swimming pool, only a spa, which if you're not into massages and the like leaves that out, so no swim. The gym area is a portacabin. Not exactly 5 star. There is also a 15% service charge on all drinks in the bar. This to me is wrong on a point of principal. People get paid for doing their job. If a customer feels that they have preformed their duties to feel that they warranted an extra reward for a job well done then that is the customers choice. A mandatory service charge is pathetic. How is it the hotel deems every transaction worthy of an extra 15% whether the service is good, bad or indifferent. Totally ridiculous and something which should be seriously looked at by management.
It also doesn't have the feel of a high class place that would make you desperate to return. Just little touches that make a place stand out. Doonbeg has none and let's itself down. It's also in the middle of absolutely nowhere, which is great for a getaway break, but a lot of driving to get there on extremely bad roads.
No chance of me returning anytime soon, there are FAR better hotels are Ireland with much more going for them for the same money. A poor attempt at 5 star luxury.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Neil K,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your tripadvisor review following your recent visit to Trump International Doonbeg and while you have been extremely complimentary about our room, bathroom, breakfast and the service of our staff, I regret to note that our accommodation and resort configuration was not what you expected.

Perhaps there was not a full understanding as to the premises that you had booked in the first instance but I will take time with our marketing department to review this aspect of our resort on our website.

Our service charge goes directly to our staff for the service that they give to our valued clients which they appear to have done in this instance. It is comparable with other five star hotels in Ireland. As the Trump International Organisation acquired the property in February this year, please be assured that recreation and leisure facilities are planned. Hopefully you might reconsider a return visit at that time.

Thank you once again for your review and of course if you wish to discuss any matter further, please contact me on jrussell@trumphotels.com.

Klamath Falls, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This location is incredible. The golf is a little modern but on a great strip of land. We had an incredible day, beautiful sunset and great meal. This was the nicest of all the accommodations we had in Ireland. Very nice spa, and all meals had there were top of the line. I would recommend a stop here to anyone.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Gerry J12

Thank you for taking the time to complete your tripadvisor review following your recent visit to Trump International Doonbeg. I am very pleased to note all the positive elements of your stay and the fact that you are very much inclined to recommend our property to family and friends.

calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

Apparently rebuilt by a Scotsman to make it appear as an Irish castle! Than purchased
by the Trump International group. from the Lodge at Doonbeg.. Red carpet reception and attendees
was delightful. Checkin and designated suites on the golf course was well done.
Rooms were large, comfortable and well appointed. Beds were high-end, bathroom had
complete facilities.
Hotel was extremely busy and We were fortunate to acquire room sitting at the bar inside
the lobby pub/lounge.
We had immediate service and We
all ordered the cod and chips----excellent!
One of Us had the lamb shank---also excellent.
The main Lodge is magnificent, lots of patio and sitting areas.
This Castle/Lodge is the perfect golf destination----and stay a few days!
Recommended!

Room Tip: All rooms have features---and the area around the Hotel is for designated golf and retreat.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
TrumpIreland, General Manager at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear alan a

Thank you for your very kind Tripadvisor review following your recent visit to Trump International, Doonbeg. I am so pleased to note that you had a most enjoyable and relaxing time, enjoyed the food and our staff were cheerful and on hand at all times.

Hopefully, it will not be too long before we have an opportunity to welcome you back to Trump International, Doonbeg where another warm west Clare welcome will await you.

Killarney, Kerry, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2014

Lacks hotel warmth & atmosphere. Unable to get dinner n restaurant as wedding drinks reception n dining room. The houses are outside hotel & very basic. Ours smelt damp. Nothing to do for kids differs from advertised n website. Definetly a 3 star not 5

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Helen O,

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to Trump International, Doonbeg in August of this year. While we did have a lot of golfers, it was indeed our busiest month of the year with a lot of Irish visitors, many with families coming back to see us.

We do have a range of 16 different activities for our guests to enjoy, both on and off site, as recommended by our concierge who is on duty 12 hours each day. I am sorry you did not get to meet them.

Hopefully you will consider Doonbeg again for a family vacation. if that is the case, may I ask that you contact me personally on jrussell@trumphotels.com and I will be pleased to personally work with you to ensure that your family have activities organised on your behalf and most importantly that you have a relaxing stay with us.

Joe Russell.
General Manager.

Been to Trump International Golf Links & Hotel? Share your experiences!