“Customer service? Not in the dictionary...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mikros Borias

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portaria
Mikros Borias
Agias Taksiarxis, Portaria 37011, Greece   |
Ranked #8 of 26 Portaria B&B and Inns
London, UK
“Customer service? Not in the dictionary...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel with our 1.5-year-old son. We booked to stay for 2 nights in the Pilio suite, but we ended up staying only 1 night. At the time of booking we requesteda baby cot with a proper mattress as well as wireless internet connection in the room (the rooms do not have wi fi so we were promised that a wireless router would be set up for us in the room). These were confirmed with the hotel also a week before our arrival.

From the moment of our arrival things started looking bad.
- The first impression of the hotel is not so great due to the fact that you have to take a narrow unpaved path off the main road to get there. Unless you have an SUV, you have to be very careful so that the undercarriage of your car does not get damaged. The hotel proposes an alternative, which in fact is even worse...
- The hotel is on a hill just above Portaria town, but it is not walking distance to town so you have to drive there and back.
- The "private car park" of the hotel is actually a widening of the gravel road outside the gates of the hotel.
- The bathroom sink was clogged and one of the light bulbs was out of order.
- The TV only showed a few of the national Greek channels and some local ones. No satellite TV, not even digital free-to-view, which is now the standard all around Greece. Not what you'd expect in a 4-star hotel.
- The windows don't have shutters and the blinds are not really thick. Not good for light sleepers as the room is filled with light the moment the sun comes out.
- There was no wireless router installed as promised when we arrived. The owner brought one reluctantly, but he did not set it up and when we asked for it to be set up, his response was that the technician is on vacation (this is in August, at the peak of the summer tourist season...). When I told him that I needed the connection for work, he said that I should go to the hotel cafe to use the internet. I said that I cannot spend all day at the cafe away from my family and his response was that he can't do anything about it.
- The baby cot was not there when we arrived and when they finally brought it, it was really a play pen with no mattress for the baby. When we requested a proper mattress for the little one, the owner's response was that he has none and that he couldn't do anything about it. When we insisted, saying that a mattress was requested and confirmed at the time of booking he recommended to fold a duvet and use that as a mattress (i.e.asphyxiation hazard...). When we insisted more (together with the complaint about wifi), he said that clearly this hotel is not for us and that he would try to find us accommodation elsewhere (this is 15 minutes into our stay). In the meantime, and after some more persuasion, he magically found a mattress and brought it to us...
- All the rooms have jacuzzis installed, which is a nice touch. Unfortunately, the insulation between floors is very poor, so our room was literally vibrating while the guests in the room below ours were using their jacuzzi. This started at about 10pm and went on way past 11pm. At about 11:30 we called the owner to ask him to ask our fellow guests to stop using the jacuzzi for the night as both us and the baby needed to sleep. His response was very rude. He refused to call them (he said that it is not his job to disturb guests in their rooms...) and told my wife that all we do is complain since we arrived and that we should leave the next day by 12:00 (!!!!....). When I said to him that all that we are doing is ask for what was promised to us in the first place as well as the peace and quiet that we are entitled to in the evening as customers, he again told me that we should leave as we are clearly not enjoying ourselves in his establishment!!...
- Then of course we decided that we would leave in the morning and we said that we expected not to be charged given that the hotel did not fulfill its promises to us. Initially, he refused but after some debate he agreed to charge only half-a-night's rate.

On the plus side:
- The views are great
- The room was beautifully decorated
- The food was good
- The staff (excluding the owner) were polite and helpful.

In conclusion, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, given our experience with the owner. He gets involved in everything so nothing is done without his authorization. From the first moment he showed no willingness to understand and satisfy our needs, he was rude and impolite (he actually raised his voice to us a few times), he showed no interest in helping us solve our problems during our stay and he actually told us to leave because "we were complaining too much".

So do not go there if basic customer service is at least what you expect...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We just stayed at this excellent hotel. The views are breath-taking the staff is very helpful and the place is unique. It is very clean and breakfast is individually made. Each room is uniquely made with great taste and allowing to enjoy the views from numerous windows. If I will go to Pillion again I will definitely stay there again and I would totally recommend it to anybody who would like to go to Pillio

Room Tip: We stayed in the room called Pillion and had a Jacuzzi and the views were great
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thessaloniki, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

A wonderful picturesque hotel in beautiful Pelion. Beautiful rooms. Spotless clean! Truly wonderful homemade breakfast. The hotel has an amazing view and a beautiful garden. It offers a very nice menu. The hotel's owners and staff are very friendly and hospitable and they tend to the guest's every need. The narrow road to the hotel (about 700 metres long) is not asphalted and can be quite rocky. Overall, this is a wonderful choice!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed for 3 days in what is really a nicely decorated and clean hotel. The food was above average and the view from most places was amazing. A very good idea for a weekend escape from the city.

What ruined the good experience was payment time. The owner (at least back in 2012) could not accept credit cards, I had to drive all the way to the nearest village, take out money from the ATM and drive back. Moreover, when I asked for invoice the owner said the typical excuse you find in many places in Greece "My accountant is away I will mail you the invoice". I am still waiting.

In the financial crisis era I am not willing to pay a single euro to people trying to avoid taxes in order to increase their margin at my expense.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Great view on the great mountain of Pelion.
Everything else was awful!
Many broken parts on the room, expensive and very bad and rude attitude.
They do not have pricelist, they give different prices on the phone, they require minimum stay and they give you 10 euros discount if they do not issue invoice! What a thief!

• Stayed May 2013
Volos, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

MIKROS BORIAS, (young north wind), is one my favorite places in the world. This, I believe, becomes even more of a value if you take into consideration that I grew up in this mountain, Pelion, this area has been my playground ever since I was a kid. Although I traveled allover the world, despite the fact that I have stayed in some of the most prestigious hotels on the planet, I definitely consider MIKROS BORIAS as my favorite. Elegant, cozy, perfectly located with a breathtaking view, with top of the line furniture, mattresses but foremost with an amazingly "family friendly" climate. Fili and Thomas, the owners are by far among the "few chosen ones" when it comes to availability, friendship, warm and professionalism. All 3 rooms and 2 suites are different from each other. The Restaurant is very good. I strongly recommend it especially to couples in love. Enjoy!

Room Tip: pelion suite
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thessaloniki, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The view from the restaurant and rooms is unique, panoramic view includes the city of Volos, and the villages of Portaria and Makrinitsa.
Τhe staff is willing to serve and to satisfy any request.
The internet service is problematic. The WiFi was only available in restaurant - cafe, while the wired connection at the room wasn't successful.

Room Tip: There are 2 types of rooms, 1-level room and 2-levels room (downstairs living room with fireplace &a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mikros Borias? Share your experiences!