“Excellent base, extremely friendly, great breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Irilena Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lassi
Irilena Hotel
Lassi 28100, Greece   |
Ranked #4 of 17 hotels in Lassi
North West, UK
“Excellent base, extremely friendly, great breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay here. We stayed in the last week of September. The hotel is clean, modern, good location. The room on the ground floor was actually a bit dark and narrow, but really, this isn't a complaint, for the price we paid it was more than adequate.
The reason I give it five stars is the staff. It is true - they really are the nicest, most accomodating people we have ever met. The old lady on reception speaks basic English but is a laugh and appreciates a bit of Greek! Her daughter on the bar at night was so lovely and friendly. Great location on the road. Across the road at Mystic Gusto is good for cheap food and drink - but be warned, if you sit down the front, they get you up for Rhyl Pontins type songs, Superman etc! Other faves were Ionio restaurant for quality and nice staff, Sirtaki restaurant cheap and friendly. For drinks, Eden garden is chilled, Trendis is popular but not that great really. Best place for late drink was Il Gabbiano - Pedro is a funny, friendly barman and seemed to undercharge us most nights just to please us! The walk to Argostoli is doable, but a bit uneasy at the top of the hill working out where to walk and how to steer clear of the cars - don't let that put you off, just know there'll be a few hundred scruffy yards, then it's fine. Ask the cabbie's the fare before you get in - we paid 6 Euros from Argostoli to Lassi on a Saturday night.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Ipswich, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

I have just returned from a week's holiday in Lassi, staying at the Irilena Hotel with my boyfriend. I tend to book 2 or 3 star hotels, usually on a self-catering basis, though this is a B&B, so I'm looking for something clean and friendly but I don't look for all the frills. And Hotel irilena did what I was looking for.

It was easy to get the bags into the reception area where we were greeted by I presume the owner, her English wasn't great if you wandered away from the basic questions, but then it was much better than my Greek! After a simple check in we made our way to our rooms on the first floor. Please note there is no lift so if you are on the 1st or 2nd floor you willhave to carry your bags up. The hotel is on the main road through Lassi so you do get some noise from the road, though we found most traffic had disappeared by the evening so we weren't really disturbed (must point out our room overlooked the back garden and not the road itself).

The rooms itself was small and basic but we were out all day and only needed somewhere to shower and sleep, which was fine. I thought the rooms were very presentable and clean. The maid service was very good, they always left the place spotless. We did have to kep the bathroom light on so the extractor fan could dry out the bathroom due to the humidity. The room had a balcony with screen doors and chairs and a table outside. We didn't use it much as there was rather a lot of mosquitos about that made a meal of us as soon as we got there. We don't know if they came from the hotel grounds or from the area as a whole. So please make sure you take a good insect repellant!

I prefer a more local/continental breakfast when on holiday and found the breakfast spread small but charming. Cereal was available but I preferred a mixture of bread and jam, boiled eggs, cold meats and cheeses, greek yogurt and fruit and a selection of pastries/biscuits/cakes. The staff were very good at refreshing emptying containers and clearing away used plates so there was always plenty of room. You could choose to eat inside or outside, thought we did get bothered by wasps when sitting outside.

The bar in the evenings was manned very professionally with a wide range of drinks and cocktails. I didn't think these were particularly cheap, but it seemed to match the prices throughout Lassi, guess I was just hoping to pay less!

Whilst the Irilena doesn't have a pool, there is another hotel just across the room that does have a pool you can use for free, Marianna's. This was such a lovely little place with friendly staff, free swimming pool and sun loungers, and a lovely snack bar. I would recommend you pay Marianna's a visit if you are in the area.

I enjoyed my stay at the Irilena, the staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms were quaint and clean. I would recommend it to friends and family.

Just as a passing comment or two, Lassi has many places to choose to eat and drink in, but there is not a lot else. It is within walking distance or short taxi ride to the capitol, Argostoli. I wouldn't return to Lassi as there are better resports in Kefalonia, but this decision does not reflect on the Irilena. And don't expect an easy journey home. If you fly home on a Sunday, be prepared for chaos at the airport. It is the worst planned out airport I've ever been to, people pushing and shoving and no one knowing where they should be or when. The holiday reps from the various companies try to look after their own customers, at the expense of other trave companies which can lead to frayed tempers and arguements.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

Firstly, let it be known that there are several properties on the island which bear the name "Irilena" - I believe it may be three in total. They are named “Irilena Apartments”, “Irilena Studios” and the “Irilena Hotel”. This review is for the last entry, the Irilena Hotel.

We stayed on the island of Kefalonia for our wedding and honeymoon in July of 2010. We stayed in Lassi, at the Irilena Hotel, for two weeks. Our overall impression of the hotel was fantastically positive; we had a brilliant time and were very satisfied with both the standard of the accommodation and the warmth and hospitality we were shown by the hotel staff.

We became very friendly with both the owner of the hotel, whose name is Athena, and the manager whose name is Irilena (yes, the hotel is named after her!). They were both genuinely lovely and were very helpful and accommodating of our requests. A special mention must also go to the bartender, Romi, who was a real gem also. We found that the Greeks are very receptive to those who are friendly and all the staff at the hotel were no exception.

It should be mentioned that the slightly uncomfortable matter of having to pay for the safe and air conditioning is accurate. We were told that this is because the tour company, Olympic Holidays, stipulates that the advertised price for a package holiday must be at a certain level, which mandates the removal of these items to lower the price. I did not feel deceived or upset at this because I am familiar with the package holiday industry and I am sure that the hotel’s hands are tied in this regard.

The rooms in the hotel are cleaned to a high standard and hygiene in the hotel was excellent for the duration of our stay, with our room being turned over each day. The rooms are on the small side but we were more than able to fit all of our stuff in and the room was still comfortable. Each room has a small balcony where you can sit and enjoy the fresh air. The bathroom is again quite compact but more than acceptable. The water pressure was excellent and the hot water was immediate and hot!

I was shocked that the hotel would only receive an official rating of two stars. I have stayed in two star accommodation in London and the Irilena Hotel is beyond 5 stars by comparison. Through our discussions with the owners we found out that this star rating is due to a technicality involving the size of the property, which limits the available rating. I have attached photos of the property to show that it really is in excellent shape. The downstairs bar in particular is very smart.

As for downsides or improvements, the hotel is in close proximity to the road which is unfortunate, but all the rooms are fitted with soundproof doors which cut out the sound almost completely, and sleep is easy to come by. Unfortunately in the summer heat the closed doors mandate the use of the air conditioning which of course you must pay extra for. I found this to be one of the only true downsides to the property, as it would have been nice to sleep with the door open.

I was perfectly happy with the breakfast offerings, but would accept that it would be not up to scratch with some peoples requirements; there was no hot breakfast for example (sausages/eggs or the like). But really it was more than adequate and we found ourselves full and happy each morning. There is so much to eat in Lassi for lunch and dinner that breakfast hardly matters anyway.

All in all we had a fantastic stay. I personally was very impressed by the state of the property but what really made our stay that extra bit special was the true kindness shown to us by all the hotel staff, including Athena, Irilena and Romi. We got to know them very well and exchanged emails and facebook details at the end of our stay; we plan to keep in touch and should we ever be back in Lassi we will absolutely stay at the hotel again.

Its my opinion that the Irilena hotel offers incredible value for money and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Westhoughton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

Returned home yesterday two weeks at the Irilena Hotel we where not disappointed !!

If there is a Hotel in Kefalonia with more friendly attentive owners pray tell me.
Infact all the staff could not of been more friendly & helpful, it really is like home from home, the owners, cleaners & breakfast staff are a credit to Olympic Holidays.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying this Hotel will suit everyone, during the 2nd week a few people arrived allocation on arrival who wanted to move due too the Irilena being a B&B & they had no facilities to cook as they had brought lots of food with them !!

Also there is no pool but most of the other local apartments have boards outside advertising their pools for public use, as far as we where concerned we spent our time either travelling this stunning island by car or spend the day on one of the two or three lovely beaches in walking distance.

We where lucky enough to eat out for the 14 nights and a few in the daytime & in that period we only had one bad meal ! Our favourites Nefeli's, Phaedra Butlers House (on the bazooki night) & Sto Pisito on the Fanari Road (their Rabbit is delicious)
A must do is Saturday night out in Argostoli everyone eats in the main square, all the locals are out eating & drinking children playing till the early hours it really is an amazing atmosphere !!

To appreciate this islands incredible beauty you need to hire a car for at least three days & drive round the coastal road & over the mountain roads from west to east stopping off at some some of the most picturesque scenery you can imagine.

We loved the three Island cruise swimming onto the beach at Skorpios visiting Meganissi eating at Nidri memories that will last a lifetime.

We have visited seven Greek islands over the last ten years all have their individual charm but for this family of three Kefalonia & the Irilena Hotel fit like a glove!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

Me and my girlfriend went there in july 2010,for a week just for a relaxing brake away from work and stuff, and we couldent of picked a better place to do that, the staff treated us like family it was great. the breakfast was just what we wanted nice and simple, bread rolls,jams,ham and cheese, i mean we came away from england to get away from the same old english breakfast!! on the night we just stayed in the bar and romi the barmaid was fantastic.We will return. If u want to have a quiet chilling beach holiday in a very clean, modern and friendly hotel in greece, go to hotel Irilena u wont regret it,trust me.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
North Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

Another FANTASTIC stay at this hotel.
Relaxing atmosphere in a great setting - beaches are real close, with the hospitality exceptional from Mama, Irlena and all the staff.
We will be going back soon.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

A great hotel in a convenient location. We stayed for one week. Our room was simple, but more than adequate. The bathroom and shower were excellent. Optional air conditioning was EUR 40 for the week. Breakfast was a simple affair, with bread and jam, some cheeses and ham and hard boiled eggs and some delicious sweet biscuits and cakes. The owners are very friendly and helpful. The outside areas and bar are some of the best and most tastefully done I have seen in Lassi. Plenty of beaches nearby, ranging from busy with music and sea sports to quiet and relaxed. There is no pool BUT there are several pools in Lassi which are open (and free) to anyone, we didn't try but they looked very good and not too busy.

Lassi itself is contained mainly on one road. There are many restaurants and bars, but you might want to walk into Argostoli for one night (about 25 mins) for a bit of a change. Lassi is a small resort and perhaps the only people who would not be happy here are real culture-vultures as the resort is rather purpose built and lacking in a bit of charm. But do not discount it of you want a simple beach holiday with good food. Lassi would serve as a good base to explore the island by hire car (about 30 euros a day), in which case there would be plenty of time for culture and sights.

Go to Aqua Marina for lunch! The owner, a charismatic Greek-New Yorker is very friendly. It is also very cheap and some of the best lunch food we had all week. We would have gone every day but only found it on the penultimate day. I recommend the gyro-pitta, only 3 euros but you will love it. Aqua Marina is located on the short road to the Mediterranean Hotel (opposite Vagelati supermarket).

So there you go. I hope someone finds this useful. I though it was about time I posted a review of TripAdvisor as I use it to plan all my holidays.

One final thing. If you travel independently make sure you allow plenty of time to check in at Cephallonia airport as it gets very busy due to its small size, especially when the charter and tour operator flights leave.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Irilena Hotel? Share your experiences!