“I miss the dogs eheh” 5 of 5 stars

39 Karterados, Karteradhos 84700, Greece   |
Lisbon, Portugal
“I miss the dogs eheh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I've stayed in Caveland for 6 days, after 2 months working in Halkidiki, and I must say that was lovely! It was my first stay in an hostel and I think I won't find better.

Once we arrived really late, we had a welcoming letter and our room key in the reception door, plus Goofy - one of the 4 dogs from the hostel - waiting for us and letting me hug him ahah. Nabil was very helpful and a nice guy that even took us to Kamari beach! He is so nice that he tries to speak your language if he can and if not we will try to learn! It was so easy to meet people at breakfast and have a good talk, that I think I should have stayed a bit longer, instead of wasting my time in Athens.

The only con I found in this hostel was the communal kitchen closing at 9 pm, even though sometimes Nabil stayed a lot longer there so we could enjoy dinner a bit later. But I bet they don't pay him for that, so we have to appreciate it even more.

As a dog lover, I felt home waking up with the dogs barking and running around the hostel, playing for hours with them and even seeing one of them jumping into the pool and swim to come to us (she didn't feel like walking around the pool so she went straight to us ahah). Even if you are afraid of dogs or don't like them you will fall in love with these because they behave so well and are so sweet... I hope Goofy already went to the vet because of his leg, it was really really bad and I felt sad seeing him hurt for so long!

I went to the volcano tour. For 19€ you visit the volcano, swim in the hotsprings, have lunch in Thirassia and visit Oia. I highly recomend it because it was a great experience to climb an active volcano and feel the heat in some spots there. Then the hotsprings were amazing too and the lunch we had delicious. Don't go on this tour with sandals or flip flops, neither with white bikini or one you love more than your life - it will be brown after the hot springs. Oh, and be aware of the rocks in the hotsprings , because you can't see them. I dind't have any problem because I was walking slowly and feeling all that peace there, but if you swim you can hurt yourself. In Oia you choose if you want to get out of the boat and finish the tour right there to see the sunset or if you prefer going back to Fira (where you actually take the boat). I'd advise you to go back to Fira because the boat stop at some spots interesting before finish the tour and to go to Oia I think you should give it a full afternoon (and visit the most amazing bookstore - Atlantis Books - and get lost in it).

Santorini is not that expensive if you know how to look for cheap places to go and if you're not a shopping addict. It is a place where you can spend a lot of money but also a place where you can spend not so much. For a portuguese person buses are way cheaper and Santorini is not more expensive than Algarve.

The hostel has great value! We stayed 6 nights in a 6 bed dorm and we payed 204€ for the two of us. If you want to relax, to get inspired, to meet travellers, come here!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my friend in August. It was so great! Our ten bed dorm was so sweet- two story in an old wine cellar with separate girl/guy wash rooms. Nabil, at the front desk, is very helpful and actually became our friend- we even ran together and hung out a couple nights- dinner & bars. They have 4 dogs that make the place much more homey. It's about a fifteen minute walk to Fira, but it's seriously no problem. Good pool, free breakfast, this place is seriously an oasis. GO HERE!

• Stayed August 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights, staying in a single room with a shared bathroom. The hostel itself is amazing. Well laid out, very peaceful location. Rooms were equipped well and very clean and the staff on hand very friendly and helpful.

Easy to get around and about with the local bus stop less than a 10mins walk away (all uphill, but good exercise!) Or just rent an ATV or moto from one of the many places nearby (I recommend Panos rentals!)

The only downsides were that reception closes at 9pm which meant the common area was also closed. No bar or similar to socialise and meet fellow travellers in the evenings before either going into Fira or hitting the sack. And unfortunately the aircon in my cave didn't work well, so the cave (especially the dorm area) was HOT! Thankfully my room had a little fan which helped. Think it was ok in the other caves though so perhaps Cave #2 just aircon just needs a service.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I feel so horribly cruel giving this only 4 stars as it’s an incredibly sweet, beautifully renovated, unique hotel. But it wasn’t for me….I think I loathed it.

Pros!! I think for many travellers this is the ideal spot. Santorini is ludicrously hyped and therefore ludicrously expensive. However, Caveland is well placed about 20 – 25 minutes walk outside of the main town of Fira. Karterados is a small, sweet little village with cheap but excellent restaurants, minimarkets, and bakeries enabling you to eat for a lot less than in the town, or for picking up a snack on the walk over (note that Caveland sells nothing - you might want some water)! Caveland itself is incredibly well presented – I had a double room which had everything you would get in a top quality hotel but with added quirkiness, I also spied a couple of the shared rooms which seemed to an equally high spec, and at incredibly good value. The staff, particularly the chap on reception, are wonderfully friendly and could answer questions about getting around.

Cons!! ATMOSPHERE. Caveland is sooo close to getting it spot on as a young travellers destination. There is a large pool area and a fab courtyard that would provide the ideal opportunity to meet people, chat and have a drink before heading up to town. However, no-one spoke and I felt the need to talk at a restrained whisper, the couple of times I sat drinking outside my room I caught eye rolls from fellow guests. I noted a desolate pool bar had been built and some signs saying “pool bar open most days” but it never was and I think this is where the problem lies. I think Caveland is going for a relaxing vibe but it’s reached the point of being oppressive. I honestly believe that by playing a bit of a music around the pool, leaving the lights on in the communal areas after 9pm, and offering some basic snacks would prevent people from being forced out of the hotel through the majority of the day and develop a bit of a character in the hotel..

In short if you are looking for a bargain and time to reflect then you’ve found the perfect spot. But a sedative might work as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

It's been my first travel on my own; single girl.
Caveland is just a great place; I spent there one week in a non-shared room but attached to a 4 beds dorm. Accommodation and all facilities are very good and clean!
Loved a kitchen where everybody gathered in the mornings for breakfast (9.00-11.00); and you could just talk to anybody. There is also plenty of meeting spots in the large garden area and swimming pool; easily finding a place only for your own or with others.
Staff is friendly and very helpful on any kind of advice.
There are also yoga classes available three times per week and private ones on a request (see details at www.yoga-santorini.com).
The place is centrally located, which makes it very good starting point for trips around the island.
Totally recommend this place; it is a special place!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We chose Caveland because we wanted something a little different from a standard hotel which we have done many times and it provided just that. We had one of the Cave houses which was just awesome and just for us. It was so homely, spacious, clean and cool in the hot weather. We had met a couple of girls on the plane over who were staying in one of the dorms so we got to check them out and even they were amazing. Way nicer and spacious than any other hostel I've seen. The owners are lovely, they dogs are very friendly and they have a great pool too.

It's nice having breakfast in the morning and talking to other travellers. Far different to a hotel experience which I thoroughly enjoyed.

You must go to the Cretean Bakery at the top of the road located on the main road. The food is amazing. There are 2 bakeries but the one across the main road is better.
A couple of stores down from the other bakery is a bike shop where we hired a quad bike for £15 per day. The shops on the main road were charging £25 so we were pleased with this.
There is a great greek restaurant near the windmill the same road too, the name escapes me right now but we ate there a few times and it was great. The greek salad and the cheese pie were my favs!

Room Tip: The Cave House is a very cool experience and great if its just 2 of you not wanting to share a dorm...