“Would not recommend this so-called hotel to anyone!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Neon Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nik. Grammatikaki St., Stalis, Crete 70007, Greece   |
Ranked #26 of 53 hotels in Stalis
London, United Kingdom
“Would not recommend this so-called hotel to anyone!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I do not normally have time to write reviews but I felt compelled to this time, as I do not think anyone should experience this 'hotel'. Despite what some websites say this hotel is NOT on the strip (20-30 mins walk) if you are going to Malia for the night life. If you are going for a family holiday I have not stayed in a more uncomfortable, dirty and unpleasant environment in my life. The room was cleaned once while we were there, and when I say cleaned I mean tidied slightly. Fresh sheets, towels, covers do not exist in this place. The first night my friend had to deal with 3 cockroaches. I tried the food on the first day and thought an omelette was a safe option, turns out I would have been better eating a car tyre with salt and pepper. All the places around the hotel make gorgeous food (restaurants & hotels) so we spent all our time eating elsewhere. If you stay in this area, check out Sergiani; it is a restaurant as well as a hotel; the menu choice and food quality is second to none. The other reviews on this site understate that the manager is grumpy, unfriendly and unhelpful. There is one lovely lady who works there who speaks fairly good English but you get that in every hotel/apartment that are in the area. You do have to pay extra for air conditioning but this is the case in most places in Crete and it is expensive; 5euro a day. It is the dingiest of places I have stayed in and when my friend and I went to play pool in the evening the manager who had to find the light switch looked at us as though we were crazy wanting to play at 8.30pm! We went down the road where the barman insisted we should not pay to play as we were buying drinks. This is a great area to stay in as its chilled, relaxing and calm but if you decide you want a night or 2 in Malia, it is possible to hire a Quad bike or get a taxi. Please don't let this put you off going to Crete or any of the Greek islands, as I have been a few times and have had great experiences. Everywhere I have been for drinks, food or to stay they are lovely, friendly people who can never do enough for you APART FROM THIS PLACE. I hope this helps you in choosing your holiday and if you end up staying here; well all I can say is - TOLD YOU SO!

Room Tip: Sorry no tips as if you have read my review you should not be staying here.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Riga, Latvia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

The hotel is simple, but nice and clean. The staff and the owner are very nice and friendly. There is a pool which was also clean, and there are always free sunbeds by the pool. The location is great, near the beach, and there are shops and restaurants nearby. The breakfast was very simple, but sufficient.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

The staff at Hotel Neon were all very welcoming and friendly, throughout our stay they always stopped to say hello and ask how we were. The hotel itself is basic but very clean. The breakfast served was fine as well with a selection of cereals, bread meat, cheese and fresh fruit and juice and tea or coffee. The bedrooms contain a fridge which is brilliant and we made lunches for ourselves by keeping salad stuff in the fridge. The pool is clean and you can also use the pool at the hotel next door. The best part about Hotel Neon is the location, right on the beach and next to the bars and restuarants of Stalis. If you don't go expecting the Ritz then this hotel is a brilliant cost-effective place to stay in a brilliant location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
naxos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

We spent a great week of holidays in Neon hotel which is located just near the beach. The breakfast was perfect. The owner was very friendly. The room was very clean and it also included a fridge which is rather rare for a hotel in Crete. We hope that next season we will also spend our holidays in the welcoming Neon hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

We first arrived at the hotel and we were not greeted, instead we were given a grunt from the manager across the desk, the daughters took us upstairs which came across as a challenge to do so. The room was okay, but for a couple who were expecting a double bed, we were astonished to find that two single beds with a large plank of wood between them had been squeezed together. Overall we were shocked at the lack of service from the manager, on several occasions we were ignored and left to serve ourselves. We managed to enjoy our holiday despite the hotels lack of consideration, however on the last day we were asked to suddenly pay upfront for airconditioning we were unaware of using, we were catching the mid day bus, and he refused to let us go untill we gave him 50 euros up front. We left with him shouting and screaming and claiming we would not go back to england that night, later on that day we came to realise our £250 camera was missing, we came to the conclusion that after our clothes had been moved around daily from our suitcases, it was evident the maids had stolen it. One of the daughters of the manager was particularly nice and welcoming, we preoceeded to tell the manager this who replied with a sexiest comment.
WOULD NOT RECCOMEND THIS HOTEL ATALL.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Oslo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

I wish to thank the manager of this hotel for mistreating, insulting and screaming at us, for because of these, we found a wonderful hotel, half the price of this one, just a few houses away, called Christiana Beach Hotel.
I’m a middle aged woman, traveling with my husband and my 16 and 11 year old daughters. We got to the Hotel where we had made an internet reservation. The attending lady, that we later found out was the daughter of the owner of the hotel, treated us gently and nicely but was not able to find our reservation so she reluctantly called her father. This man came into the reception sighing loudly and complaining that ''he was tired, and we had woken him up from his nap''. He then proceeded to search the computer without even talking to me or looking me in the eyes. He then mumbled something to his daughter and told us that we had no reservation. I asked him to make a reservation, and he was able to, however he asked me to give him my passport and my family's. I saw that behind the counters he had all the other guest's passports and keys, which weren't locked down. I am conscious that the manager needs some information from our passports so i offered to stay until he copied them down. At this point, he asked my husband to bring back the keys and told me that if I didn’t trust him, I couldn’t be in his hotel. Astonished, I explained to him that the passports we have are very special since we live in a foreign country and we have a working visa in them, he then proceeded to shout at me to leave and not waste his time. When I tried to reason with him he told me to ‘sit’ ,to which I laughed since I wasn’t expecting that kind of treatment, and told my husband to talk to him. My husband said he didn’t have anything to do with this since I had planned the trip but he kept insisting that he needed a ‘man-to-man’ talk and he ‘didn’t talk to women’. At these point we stood up and left while he said ‘I’m sorry’ – which he clearly wasn’t. basically, we never got to experience this hotel so I cannot give advice on the quality of the rooms, but the service was not only disappointingly sexist but reluctant to help. I strongly recommend the Christiana Hotel.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Jerusalem
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

we came to this hotel for a week.
one room was well, regular but the second was less than a basic. the bath was bad and all the stuffs old.
the swimming pool small but enough for the hotel and there is nice beach, but we are dissapointed from the managers of the hotel. there are two managers, they are cold and all the time nervous.
they didn't tell us hello even once time and all the time say us bad things, complaint us and shut because we sat in our room with slowly music and entered the swimming pools water buttels!!!
i dissapointed from them and from our room.
they took from us 100 euro about the miror that broken. my friend has injured and the didn't care. 100 euro for smalllll miror!!!
the'y didn't change us the towels even once time and the bads.
there isn't parking!!!the'y didn't give us to put our tractorons inside. we needed to go far away from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Neon Hotel? Share your experiences!